What's new

Warner Bros. MGM musicals on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
From what I understand, Robyn still licences Astaire's clips on an individual basis: allowing some and denying others. The rights will move to Astaire's children upon Robyn's death.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Mikey1969 /t/308206/warner-bros-mgm-musicals-on-blu-ray#post_3997574
From what I understand, Robyn still licences Astaire's clips on an individual basis: allowing some and denying others. The rights will move to Astaire's children upon Robyn's death.
I seem to remember that it was Bela Lugosi Jr that fought for the use of his father's clips and image. I think it ended up that the studios that own the actual films have the right to those images and to use the images to promote those films, but any other use outside of that belongs to the heirs.

That would allow Warner to use clips of in their documentaries on the history of films. That is one of the reasons they list at the end of documentaries which titles are available for purchase on DVD or Blu-ray.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Studios maintain the rights complete films as well as original trailers, but any excerpt or clip would have to be licenced. Compilation movies like That's Entertainment 3, making-of documentaries or any other used must be approved. TV studios can't even use clips to promote their showing of his films without approval.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I wonder if they will consider Blu Rays for titles they have offered in the WAC series? I hope so, anyway.

There are a lot of Fox color titles of musicals from the 40s I would like to see in Blu Ray. Twilight Time?

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
That's indeed unfortunate that the OCN's were dumped. There was apparently a 35mm "restoration" shown earlier this year in New York and perhaps elsewhere. Also, apparently Amazon has this streaming in HD, again apparently in far superior quality compared to the SD DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by moviepas /t/308206/warner-bros-mgm-musicals-on-blu-ray#post_3997625
I wonder if they will consider Blu Rays for titles they have offered in the WAC series? I hope so, anyway.

There are a lot of Fox color titles of musicals from the 40s I would like to see in Blu Ray. Twilight Time?
WAC have responded a few times on their Facebook page that WHV could decide to release any of the titles that WAC released on MOD as a Blu. The titles that are continuously asked about are VICTOR/VICTORIA and THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN. So it is possible.

I had hoped that Twilight Time would put out some of the Betty Grable titles that never saw a DVD release. I guess it could still happen but I am enjoying the classic CinemaScope titles they putting out now.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Doug Bull said:
Let's not forget the wonderful 'SUMMER HOLIDAY" with that great score by Harry Warren.
Not sure if the if the original Technicolor elements are in decent shape though, as both the Laserdisc and the current DVD look fairly ordinary.
"Best Foot Forward" would also be welcomed.
Of all the candidates for Blu-ray treatment, "Annie Get Your Gun" will always get my number one vote.
As a side note and away from the blu-ray thread for a moment,
Anybody who loves the magical orchestrations, arrangements and sound of the MGM Orchestra should rush out and buy "A Celebration of Classic MGM Film Musicals" DVD featuring the John Wilson Orchestra with Guests, live from the Royal Albert Hall.
It is available on the BBC label(region 2) in the UK and I believe that a US region one release is coming soon.
John Wilson accurately recreates the original classic MGM Orchestra sound in breathtaking Stereo.
It's worth the cost of the DVD just to see and hear the Orchestra go all out on the big dance sequence from "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers"
"Bless yore Beautiful Hide", It is a real knock-out.
"A Celebration of Classic MGM Film Musicals" is remarkable.
It is a great tribute to the great MGM Studio Orchestra, its musicians, the greatest of orchestrators, etal. John Wilson spent a very, very long time finding conductors' scores and reorchestrated them as well as from memory when he could not find the original elements (MGM evidently decided, I think in the 70's, that the orchestral parts were better served in a land fill along one of the L.A. freeways so that a new parking lot could be built at the studio).
Don't be afraid to purchse the DVD (a blu-ray appears to not be available).
The picture is superb and the sound is wonderful. The soloists are not imitating the origional greats but, rather, interpreting their singing styles in a wonderful way. DO PURCHASE!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The musical I want on Blu-ray more than any other (apart from High Society) is Three Little Words. Fred Astaire with Vera Ellen, who is for me his best partner. They were paired for the second time in Belle of New York, and if he hadn't turned it down would have been paired for a third time in White Christmas. Although I do think Fred would have been a little more formal, and with not quite the sense of fun that Danny Kaye brought to the role. Vera Ellen is my favourite female dancer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Vera-Ellen is also my choice for best movie dancer. She could do it all from tap to ballet to jazz and was so lithe and lovely doing it. I do think she's Astaire's best partner and was great with Kelly, Donald O'Connor, and Danny Kaye. Really, she could dance with anyone and make him look terrific (while looking terrific herself).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Musicals are my cinematic crack, but there are so many I still haven't seen. One MGM musical I'd like to see get some HD attention is the 1947 version of Good News, along with whatever exists of the 1930 version. The DVD looked so good, a Blu-ray could really be a knockout. I'd definitely trade up for Blu-rays of High Society and Les Girls. And, of course, Victor/Victoria.
As for Warner musicals, as much as I wish they'd never lost the rights to My Fair Lady, I'd also like to see 42nd Street, Finian's Rainbow (I wonder if the footage for "Necessity" still exists) and Follow That Bird (it's essentially the Lost Muppet Movie, and you have to love a movie made for toddlers that has a non-gratuitous John Steinbeck reference, and frankly, it's better than the movie of A Chorus Line that came out the same year). How's that for eclecticism?
And if the Peanuts animated features (the first two, technically, are musicals) are part of the Warner/Paramount deal, bring them on, too!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Musicals are my cinematic crack, but there are so many I still haven't seen. One MGM musical I'd like to see get some HD attention is the 1947 version of Good News, along with whatever exists of the 1930 version. The DVD looked so good, a Blu-ray could really be a knockout. I'd definitely trade up for Blu-rays of High Society and Les Girls. And, of course, Victor/Victoria.
As for Warner musicals, as much as I wish they'd never lost the rights to My Fair Lady, I'd also like to see 42nd Street, Finian's Rainbow (I wonder if the footage for "Necessity" still exists) and Follow That Bird (it's essentially the Lost Muppet Movie, and you have to love a movie made for toddlers that has a non-gratuitous John Steinbeck reference, and frankly, it's better than the movie of A Chorus Line that came out the same year). How's that for eclecticism?
And if the Peanuts animated features (the first two, technically, are musicals) are part of the Warner/Paramount deal, bring them on, too!
I'd like to see "Finian's Rainbow" on blu, I guess it would have to come from the Archieves Blu-ray program WB set up (Like "Gypsy" did) The DVD looked great (the Pan & Scanned laserdisc sounded better though)
"Necessity" may be forever lost. the film was cut after Franis Ford Coppla left the project and Warner wasn't know to keep cut stuff back then. Too bad, it would have made a nice extra. Probably because Coppla wasn't a big enough name in 1967 he wasn't able to hold on to the trims

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
MatthewA said:
Follow That Bird (it's essentially the Lost Muppet Movie, and you have to love a movie made for toddlers that has a non-gratuitous John Steinbeck reference, and frankly, it's better than the movie of A Chorus Line that came out the same year). How's that for eclecticism?
I second the vote for Follow That Bird. Absolutely love that film, my siblings and I still quote it if something reminds us of it in conversation ("No way, we had lunch at Friendly's! Now it's my turn!"). More people should see it, if only to hear Alaina Reed Hall sing "One Little Star." Favorite song in the film. As for musicals I'd like to see on Blu-Ray, I really would love for Warner to repeat their "Astaire & Rogers: Ultimate Collector's Edition" set in high-definition. 9 RKO, 1 MGM. For a Warner title, I'd love Footlight Parade. I think the only reason I love that film more than the other Busby Berkeley films is because it's featured in The Great Movie Ride.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by GMpasqua
I'd like to see "Finian's Rainbow" on blu, I guess it would have to come from the Archieves Blu-ray program WB set up (Like "Gypsy" did) The DVD looked great (the Pan & Scanned laserdisc sounded better though)
"Necessity" may be forever lost. the film was cut after Franis Ford Coppla left the project and Warner wasn't know to keep cut stuff back then. Too bad, it would have made a nice extra. Probably because Coppla wasn't a big enough name in 1967 he wasn't able to hold on to the trims
IIRC, Warner Bros. seldom saved anything back in the day, and the stories of Jack L. Warner's cheapness are legendary (no stereo tracks seem to survive for anything prior to 1962 other than A Star is Born, and that only exists in stereo because Ron Haver found a print with a mag track). Just ask the boys from Termite Terrace. Didn't you work at WB?
Is anyone at any of these studios aware of what gets cut out of these films, or do they just not care anymore? I wish every studio had a George Feltenstein-like figure who has a passion for these titles, understands their history and knows how to promote them to consumers.
When songs from musicals get cut, especially when they were based on stage shows, character motivation and plot development usually goes along with it. It especially bothers me when they actually film this stuff only to cut it because the studios don't think audiences will sit still for two and a half hours. If people can sit still for a play for that long, they can sit still for a movie for that long. Cutting too much is worse than cutting too little.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Escapay said:
I second the vote for Follow That Bird. Absolutely love that film, my siblings and I still quote it if something reminds us of it in conversation ("No way, we had lunch at Friendly's! Now it's my turn!"). More people should see it, if only to hear Alaina Reed Hall sing "One Little Star." Favorite song in the film.
Think it's Warner, not MGM, but I'll third the vote: Not just for being one of the last great archived images of Old-School 80's Sesame (none of this "anthology" faux-cable Elmo or Abby nonsense the kids have today), but it IS the Lost Muppet Movie 2, in ways not only the Disney, but even Jim Henson and Frank Oz's own sequels weren't.
For a Warner title, I'd love Footlight Parade. I think the only reason I love that film more than the other Busby Berkeley films is because it's featured in The Great Movie Ride.
For that matter, the whole Precode Busby set. (Counting the Lullaby of Broadway number in the post-code Golddiggers of 1936.) When I was growing up, people didn't notice Old Movies, and blended Warner 30's-Busby, B/W RKO Astaire, and MGM Technicolor/Esther Williams bathing-beauties into one big blur and thought they were all a dozen remakes of the same movie. It was a pleasant shock to dig out the DVD's (movies had long been off of late-nite stations by then :( ) and find out not just how dramatic the climactic Berkeley "story" musical numbers in Footlight and Gold'33 could be, but also just how filthy some of Busby's risque-humor numbers could be before the Hayes set in. :eek:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Ejanss
Think it's Warner, not MGM, but I'll third the vote:
Not just for being one of the last great archived images of Old-School 80's Sesame (none of this "anthology" faux-cable Elmo or Abby nonsense the kids have today), but it IS the Lost Muppet Movie 2, in ways not only the Disney, but even Jim Henson and Frank Oz's own sequels weren't.
After Kevin Clash's downfall, I imagine they'll be downplaying Elmo a bit. And yes, I am glad to see 80s Sesame Street finally get some attention from the "Old School" DVD series (now if only someone would release the Toots Thielemans end credits music in the clear).
And why anyone would think Sesame Street would need warnings about being inappropriate for children is beyond me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Warner musical I want more than any other is Calamity Jane presented in the proper aspect ratio (1.75:1). And if they want to do a Doris double-feature, hook on The Pajama Game with it. (I want Love Me or Leave Me, too, but it's Warner-controlled MGM, and I was talking strictly Warner musicals.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks