Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
t2vboKM.jpg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Glenn being alive is one of the lamest fucking things I've ever seen in a lifetime of TV viewing. Whoever came up with that idea should have been too ashamed to have even suggested such a hack move. And that it made it to the screen is embarrassing beyond belief.

What's next? We didn't see Dale die so I guess he may return. Beth could come back with a Band-Aid on her head. Tyrese could have just been sleeping when they put him in that hole. Maybe the wall that was crushed at the end of this episode didn't actually fall down?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
What a load of shit! Really? That's how someone surrounded by walkers survives? Why not have Glenn pull out a f**king light saber and start slicing up the zombies. That would have been just as credible. What utter crap that was, and a colossal cheat of epic proportions.

I understand that all shows manipulate their viewers, but this was ridiculous. Honestly how can the producers expect the viewers to take any character jeopardy seriously after this stunt. This is probably as close as I've ever come to dropping The Walking Dead. I'm sure I'll still watch it, because beyond the bullshit opening there was a lot to like in this episode as it builds to the mid-season climax.

Incredibly disappointed by this absurd event and how it completely (for me anyway) undermines the show's credibility. Viewers accept a lot of implausibilities to make a show like this one work, but there is a line.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
I understand that all shows manipulate their viewers...
Me too. On Talking Dead, showrunner Scott Gimple gave some BS excuse about wanting the audience to be on the same page as Maggie & company about Glenn but the reality is that they wanted it both ways- they wanted to play the emotion of Glenn's death without the consequence of actually killing off the character.

Also, I hate that the note that the random Alexandria guy wrote is now going to be delivered. The letter was sad and poignant when it wasn't going to get to the intended person. Now that they'll get it, it's just a cliche goodbye letter.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
TravisR said:
Me too. On Talking Dead, showrunner Scott Gimple gave some BS excuse about wanting the audience to be on the same page as Maggie & company about Glenn but the reality is that they wanted it both ways- they wanted to play the emotion of Glenn's death without the consequence of actually killing off the character.

Also, I hate that the note that the random Alexandria guy wrote is now going to be delivered. The letter was sad and poignant when it wasn't going to get to the intended person. Now that they'll get it, it's just a cliche goodbye letter.
Don't worry she won't get it, she sliced her wrists last week and Rick's Squeeze shanked her in the eyeball

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Of course it was lame and disrespectful of the audience. This is TWD, right?

BTW...I now think Glenn is likely UN-killable, so I'm going to call it now:

Negan will kill Morgan, not Glenn.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Eh, I didn't mind it. I did think it would've been funny if Enid had shot him.

Looks like Alexandria is going to be FUBAR.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Glenn being alive is one of the lamest fucking things I've ever seen in a lifetime of TV viewing. Whoever came up with that idea should have been too ashamed to have even suggested such a hack move. And that it made it to the screen is embarrassing beyond belief.

As much as I like Glenn, I have to agree. If they wanted to play that beat honestly, they should have had him crawl underneath the dumpster at the end of the episode in question, and leave him trapped with walkers on all sides. They way they shot it, with guts being torn out from directly above Glenn, was a deliberate attempt to mislead the audience.

At this point, the main thing that intrigues me is Enid. I still think she was working as a scout for the wolves, but when Glenn needed water, she gave it to him. And when she could have shot him to get away, she didn't. Somehow, though, I fear she's headed for a bitterly ironic end, like Ron trying to shoot Carl and shooting Enid instead.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So what is the big issue everyone has with Glenn being alive? I will admit I was one of the people that thought it would be a major cheat if he was still alive. But I thought the way it went down kind of made sense. Was the issue just that they milked it for 3 weeks and we had to wait this long to find out he survived? I don't get the issue with that. It's a TV show trying to get ratings.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
So what is the big issue everyone has with Glenn being alive? I will admit I was one of the people that thought it would be a major cheat if he was still alive. But I thought the way it went down kind of made sense. Was the issue just that they milked it for 3 weeks and we had to wait this long to find out he survived? I don't get the issue with that. It's a TV show trying to get ratings.
They didn't play fair with the audience because they showed him die (slow motion shots of the character screaming as zombies pull 'him' apart followed by a slow motion pull out looking down over a mass of zombies on top of him is clearly a visual way to show that the character has died) and the eventual reveal of how he escaped was beyond unbelievable even for a show where the dead have risen and are eating people. This wasn't about a twist or ratings or keeping the audience unsure, it was about getting the emotional weight of Glenn's death without actually having to commit to that death and that's a crock of manipulative shit.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
TravisR said:
They didn't play fair with the audience
'nuff said.

A cheat by any other name is still a cheat. Cue Annie Wilkes - "He never got under the cockadoodie dumpster!"

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
So what is the big issue everyone has with Glenn being alive?

I thought I covered it (to some degree) in my prior post, but here goes...

a) The manner in which the scene was presented was incredibly deceptive. They cheated and pulled the wool over the eyes of the viewers in a patently unfair manner. Making your viewers feel like they've been tricked is not a way to curry goodwill for your show.

b) As Travis correctly stated, they wanted the emotional weight of a Glen death scene without actually earning it.

c) While the show has always been an exercise in variance depending upon the necessities of the plot this kind of takes it to another level. Some characters are taken by a single chance encounter with one of the undead; Glen is nearly surrounded while laying prone with another body on top of him pinning him to the ground and escapes.

d) Since the producers have decided that they can just miracle characters out of jeopardy whenever they desire, it undermines one of the fundamental plot elements of the series. From this point forward, how can viewers take seriously any threat to the characters when there is a precedent for a wildly improbable escape?

e) Did I mention that they cheated their butts off?

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks