What's new

Vsx 1021-k question (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Pioneer 1021 is a fine receiver with tons of features. It doesn't have quite the same amp section as the 1121 (it shares the amp with the 921) but it does have Advanced MCACC, and all the latest internet and iPad, iPhone, iPod Apple Airplay, Bluetooth, internet streaming, etc. It's a pretty full featured receiver. The two negativea about Pioneer receivers is MCACC doesn't EQ the subwoofer and you can only choose one crossover setting for al speaker groups set to Small. Otherwise, it's a fine receiver and a "tweakers" delight. Also, buy from an authorized dealer or Pioneer might not honor the warranty. BTW, I own an Elite SC-27 and an Elite VSX-23. Others to consider are the Denon 1712/1912, Onkyo 609 and Yamaha 571/671 or

graydraon2

Grip
Real Name
Robert Swenson
Thanks for the advice. I finally went with the 1712. Just waiting on it to arive.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That's a nice choice. Some people find Denon receivers a little less than user-friendly. Here's a site that helps with the setup: http://batpigworld.com/setup.html It's a couple of years old so might be a bit out of date but hopefully it's still of some use.

graydraon2

Grip
Real Name
Robert Swenson
I used to work in IT so I know all about aggravating systems. Been reading that website so I will be prepared when it comes. Only bad thing is the way my speakers are in the ceiling im gonna be limited to 6.1 unless I want to patch several holes in the ceiling. They were installed before I moved in and they are right above the couch near the edge of the ceiling and are in a straight line.

KenY

Grip
Real Name
Kenny Youngers
Can you elaborate on the "only one crossover setting for all speaker groups set to small?" I'm looking at the 1021 and 1121 and I'm gonna have Polk Monitor 70s up front, and 40s in the rear-thanks to your help finding them! Anyway, I've never set one of these up, so I'm not sure what that means. Please explain. Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In-ceiling speakers aren't very popular on these types of forums. They're better in department stores and auditoriums. Speaker placement has a lot to do with how the over-all setup sounds and sound coming from up above is far from ideal. I understand about removing them, though. I'd just leave them up there and buy some "proper" home theater speakers/subwoofer to connect to my new 1712. But that's just me :) . I'd also download the manual fron Denon's website and start reading it. And by a fresh bottle of Excedrin Extra Strength, just in case. On a positive note, Denons remotes are much better than they were a year or two ago :banana: .

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
KenY said:
Can you elaborate on the "only one crossover setting for all speaker groups set to small?" I'm looking at the 1021 and 1121 and I'm gonna have Polk Monitor 70s up front, and 40s in the rear-thanks to your help finding them! Anyway, I've never set one of these up, so I'm not sure what that means. Please explain. Thanks!
Most receivers allow you to select different crossover settings for the Front, Center, Surround and Surround back channels. As an example, you can set the crossover on the Fronts to 60 hz, the Center to 80 hz the Surrounds to 100 hz and the Surround Backs to 120. With Pioneer you can only select one crossover for all speaker groups. But with the speakers you've selected it shouldn't be too much of a problem, particularly if you get the larger CS2 center. They should all be able to handle either the 50 or 80 hz setting (but I'd use 80 hz).

KenY

Grip
Real Name
Kenny Youngers
Ok, I see. Makes sense. Thanks! Also, I noticed on the Pioneer website, when comparing the 1021 to the 1121, that the 1121 doesn't have a check mark next to HDMI Standby Through. Does that mean the 1121 DOESN'T have Pass-Through HDMI? That has to be a mistake...I thought ALL new models had pass-through! This is important to me, cuz we don't use surround sound all the time with the kids watching TV and everything...and what other models in this price range have better crossover settings? Like you said, it may not matter to me with the Polks anyway, but...I'm finding conflicting reports online about this HDMI pass-through thing on these 2 models, and I really need to know before buying cuz I will want it for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks