What's new

Recevier upgrade. What would you do??? (1 Viewer)

EMV1031

Auditioning
Real Name
Esteban
First time posting! I generally come here for answers and get them from others' posts but now have a more specific question as to what would you guys recommend.

I have a rather basic Muteki, STR-KM3500 (don´t judge me) and a friend was wanting to buy it from me. He bought and old HT and now realized that it doesn´t have all the connectivity options he needs. I wasn´t planning on selling mine but since he asked, upgrading my setup could be an option. I´ve been looking into what I could do and thought that since my friend´s problem is the receiver itself maybe I could sell him just that. As far as what I would upgrade to, I am looking into these:

- Sony STR-DH750
- Onkyo TX-NR609
- Denon AVR 789
- Yamaha RX-V371
- Pioneer VSX-1021-K

Other options I have are:
TX-NR509
TX-SR507
HT-R390

Now, here´s a two part question 1) Which one would you favor to use with my already existing speakers from the KM3500? 2) Is what I am considering about just upgrading my receiver even a good idea?

The system is mostly used for movies and music.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What are your speakers?

From a quick search it looks like the KM3500 was just a receiver. Did you get a package deal or am I finding the wrong unit?

Hemiram

Agent
Real Name
Barry
I don't really understand your setup either, but you can find a ton of refurbished and, don't puke, USED HT receivers that would be a huge step up over what you have listed. A friend just bought a high end Yamaha ( I can't remember the model number) that was like $3200 when it was new, for, including shipping, for $250. Almost $100 of that was shipping. It weighs like 65 pounds, and I had a remote that worked on it, the original was worn out. The only feature it's lacking is HDMI 2.X throughput, which, IMHO, is almost more trouble than it's worth. My new TSR-7810 (refurb) works great, except I like to leave TV audio on when I'm gone, and because my TV is turned off, my new receiver mutes the audio!! I like the one button TV on it does, but the muting thing annoys me no end. I hope there's a workaround, but so far I haven't seen one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks