What's new

V - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Tony J Case

So does the lack of response to the thread for this weeks episode mean that nobody cares about it anymore? Surely I couldn't have summed up all your thoughts in my one rant, could I? Or did nobody but a small handful of us actually watch it?

I quit watching after the "search for the soul" episode, but I check in this thread for your rants.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

So does the lack of response to the thread for this weeks episode mean that nobody cares about it anymore? Surely I couldn't have summed up all your thoughts in my one rant, could I? Or did nobody but a small handful of us actually watch it?
I like the show fine for what it is, but it's simply not worth my time defending. I could point out, for instance, that the priest's decision to wear the ring was probably a ploy so that he could get his message to the old queen, or that all earthly communications are processed through the V colony ships, so any unauthorized broadcast would never make it out -- and even if it did, it would greatly speed up the timeline to the murder and enslave the human race for breeding farms part of the story, or that tearing a good chunk of neck and spinal column out has to be more permanent than a few bullet holes.

But what's the point? You're determined not to like the show, and I'm not going to change your mind. Besides, by my own standards, it's not that great. Of the characters, I only really like the priest and Anna's daughter. And even if taking things slow and under the radar is the smart move under the given circumstances, I agree 100 percent that it doesn't make very involving television.

The shows that invite the most discussion are the ones people really love or really hate. I think for a lot of people, myself included, this show doesn't fall into either category, so it's an enjoyable enough way to spend an hour on Tuesday nights but not much more.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I do think this last episode was a step backwards - closer to the season 1 episodes than the season 2 ones we've seen so far. I am hoping that there will be more ramifications from the events here. I was thinking that Tyler's actions were in some way going to counter what Anna was doing at the Vatican. That they could use those to somehow to help their cause.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
"that the priest's decision to wear the ring was probably a ploy so that he could get his message to the old queen,"

Whom he thought had been dead for 15 years.

"or that all earthly communications are processed through the V colony ships, so any unauthorized broadcast would never make it out"

And I have no doubt that the aliens would hamper La Resistance's efforts if they did something like Juile's unmasking of John on live network television in the original. But today's media is a different world than the eighties. With the ubiquitous internet spreading viral videos like wildfire, with decentralized servers offering up bittorrents - a proper unmasking would be tough to stamp out, even for all-powerful aliens - at least without completely blowing their "We are friends" cover.

"-- and even if it did, it would greatly speed up the timeline to the murder and enslave the human race for breeding farms part of the story,"

And that would be a good thing. My god - then we might actually get some hint of the just what the hell the aliens overall plan is or perhaps some action and laser gunfights and shuttle chases through the grand canyon! Perhaps something might actually HAPPEN!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

And that would be a good thing. My god - then we might actually get some hint of the just what the hell the aliens overall plan is or perhaps some action and laser gunfights and shuttle chases through the grand canyon! Perhaps something might actually HAPPEN!

Like I said, it's logical from the characters' stand point of not wanting to get enslaved and whatnot, but it doesn't make the most dramatically satsifying television.

By contrast, one of your favorite shows, Doctor Who, is often illogical and even outright riddiculous. But it's almost always dramatically satisfying.

Television shows live or die by their casts of characters. I think the retoolings for "V" have been enormously to the positive, but one thing the current writing team can't overcome is the lackluster cast of main characters.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Sorry guys - for everyone waiting for this weeks dose of Virtol, they might be in for a disappointment. I'm having trouble getting worked up this week - this most recent episode has managed to exceed even my extremely low expectations. I could go on for a whole novel on how that assassination attempt is quite possibly the stupidest thing I have ever seen on network television. Wow, it's a good thing that nobody bothering to even WATCH the good sniper spots? Or why cant you just put a high caliber bullet through the skull of an alien? Surely the People's Liberation Front of Judea could have gotten their hands on an M107? A .50 caliber shell right through the ol' brainpan and no more Alien Head. Or how everyone somehow managed to just get away after the shooting?

Nope - better spend more time making really half assed birthday cakes (because, you see, mom has no time for domestic stuff) and going on about presents! That's where the real drama is!

But at least we've found out the Aliens plan!

1 - Create centers of urban utopia that also double as spaceship landing pads

2 - Send out troops to collect the women who are now ready to breed.

3 - Destroy the human soul

4 - ???

5 - Profit!

But wait a second - didn't the show establish that only the Queen can breed? The alien reproductive cycle has been: Anna gets all horny, grinds uglies with some poor solder, kills him and eats him and then pops out half a million eggs. But the red rain lets earth women breed with alien solders too? Or is the plan that the soldiers collect the women and then will Anna have to get it on with them? It may not make any logical sense, but at least some hot lesbian action will do wonders for the ratings.

*sigh* I dub this show the Chuck Yeager of television - setting new records breaking the Stupid Plot barrier week after week.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Television shows live or die by their casts of characters. I think the retoolings for "V" have been enormously to the positive, but one thing the current writing team can't overcome is the lackluster cast of main characters.

Naw, I think the flaw with the show isn't the characters (although I wouldn't mind seeing Tyler getting killed - in as painful a way as possible), I think it lies with the collsoaly stupid plotting and that nothing EVER happens.

And yes, the other shows and movies I enjoy are often equally stupid - Doctor Who often has a myriad of problems. The current Doctor Who story sucks? Wait a week and the next one will be totally different! And yes the grindhouse flicks I love so much suffer from the dumbest plots known to man - but at least Death Race 2000 and Piranha had lots of stuff blowing up and getting eaten (plus plenty of tits) to keep the attention from wandering.

Hell - just a little bit of suspense would be nice. Lets go with the Unmasking of John from the original show. There was plenty of groundwork that they had to do to get in the door,just not a two second here's how the plan should go, there were some moments of "They might get caught" to build suspense, the story spent some time on a reasonably tense escape and there was a gunfight! It was a pretty big operation. Here it was just a throwaway with no build up and no climax and no tension to it other than "Don't shoot him! you might hit my kid!"

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa

Show needs Cancellation.

Well, the ratings are not very good. The latest TVbytheNumbers estimate is "more likely to be cancelled than renewed by May, 2011

I still think this season is better than the first one, but it would have been hard to get worse.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
They've got enough stock footage of the ships now, and enough ship hallway renderings, that all the show needs to continue is: one set of a basement, and one green screen. Local cable access could do this show. But they shouldn't!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by NeilO is "more likely to be cancelled than renewed by May, 2011

I guess there's no point in watching the rest of the series then, since you know they're going to end on A Big Cliffhanger of some sort and it'll never be resolved. Hell, even without a cliffhanger, there's no way to resolve the series to a satisfactory ending in the - what, 2 episodes they have left. Unless they bring out Red Dust and a Starchild, there's no way to end the show at all.

Ah well, I guess I'll watch and complain and ignore that the series ever existed. . .

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Chances are they'll do what other shows do, in the tradition of Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 8: They'll release a comic book series concluding the story.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Wow! They'd want me to actually PAY for the ending? With that level of writing, they should pay me to take it off their hands.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Watched the latest two eps last night. I might not still be watching, but my wife can't quit a story partway through :). But also, it's entertaining enough to be enjoyable fluff to me. My favorite shows both demand my full attention and have a large emotional investment. There are tines when I simply want to half-watch a fun show while browse my magazines. That's damning with faint praise, but there's a place for fare like V on my TiVo. As for the assassination attempt: I thought it was a foolhardy effort. Killing Ana risks bringing the full wrath of the V on humankind. But I'm curious what happens next: Does Agent Evans' sloppy 5th coln work catch up with her? Does our V ally get what's coming for his betrayals? Is the good Father defrocked?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Last night's V had the ssame feel as No Ordinary Family's episode where everything comes to a head and tables are turned. I had to work on work stuff, so i was at the drawing board. So I was confused as to what the V's have on Hobbes and what he had to do with the explosives? Looks like Kyle has turned to the dark side. But his girlfriend V has finally found her grandmother, so perhaps she helps Kyle learn the truth before Anna's plans for him are completed. And with the end of that 5th column group, her son leaving and he ex-husband's death, Erica has turned to the offensive.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
The first half of the episode I really wasn't enjoying but the last half was much better. And the last 10 minutes was markedly better.

I hope when they say she is going to make it "rain hell" they actually crank the action up a notch or two.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson Au

I had to work on work stuff, so i was at the drawing board. So I was confused as to what the V's have on Hobbes and what he had to do with the explosives?

They have some female he cares about "safe." She has been missing for 5 years. I can't recall whether she was a wife or girl friend or sister. They played her voice pleading to me over a phone. They gave him a device which would magically set off all the 5th column vest explosives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks