What's new

V - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
all of this forbidden talk on htf aside^^^^^^

i can't wait for this new series.

i picked up the old mini-series (not the awful only season) on dvd and watched the first episode again. even over 20 years later it is quite watchable (sfx aside). i will get to the rest this week.

i can't wait for the new series!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WHY ARE WE TALKING POLITICS ON THIS FORUM?

Haven't you guys been here long enough?

I am deleting the most offending message I have found
and issuing a stern warning that any further political
statements are going to result in member bans.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
10/28/09

ABC won't promote 'V' high in the sky

Here's one alternative media idea that's been stalled before takeoff: ABC has decided not to use skywriters to paint giant red Vs above 15 U.S. cities in an effort to promote its new drama, "V," which launches next week. ABC nixed the plan following a newspaper story detailing just how much pollution the stunt was going to create, telling reporters it has opted to spend its promotional funds in other ways. The network had planned to write the Vs above 26 landmarks, including the Santa Monica Pier and Statue of Liberty, hoping to create buzz for the remake of a 1980s miniseries about an alien invasion. But as Lisa de Moraes of the Washington Post pointed out, the campaign seemed to go against all the green talk that Disney, ABC's parent company, has spouted. It would have produced three tons of carbon dioxide and 800 grams of lead, not to mention burning up 400 gallons of fuel. The stunt was nixed a week and a half after it was announced, though ABC may have achieved its primary goal without spending so much as a dollar. This morning the press is definitely talking about "V."

Nah, they don't want to promote V, they are just going to try to kill it right?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Albert_M

Nah, they don't want to promote V, they are just going to try to kill it right?

I don't get it.

Anyway, at the risk of being excommunicated from the Green Party I don't belong to, I like what they were going to do. That would have been very cool, especially since I would have likely seen it.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Personally I was bored to tears for the first 40 minutes.

I know they needed to get some time to set things up, but I was almost ready to turn it off before it got to the point where it had me interested. The last 20 minutes show a ton of potential though, so I'll keep watching for a while.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Get Jack Bauer on it, he'll get rid of the V's in 24 hrs.

While I did like it i'm a little confused by something, how did that one dude know so much about the V's? He was speaking as if he had encountered them before.

Or was he one of them? If so why was he surprised when Morris Chestnut revealed himself to be one?

All in all I liked it alot but it is moving a little fast.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!

While I did like it i'm a little confused by something, how did that one dude know so much about the V's? He was speaking as if he had encountered them before.

Or was he one of them? If so why was he surprised when Morris Chestnut revealed himself to be one?

All in all I liked it alot but it is moving a little fast.

He did say that the V's had been here for a long time, didn't he?

They got to the resistance a lot quicker than I thought they would. I had a feeling that instead of being bored for 40 minutes as was posted earlier that it would be weeks before things got going. Looks like it's going to be pretty good so far.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It was OK. The reveal that the V's were not humanoid was done much better in the original ie the 'gerbil' scene. Totally creepy.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The first episode was good enough to keep me coming back for more. Let's hope that ABC doesn't screw this one up (like they do with so many other series).

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I've been curious for some time how this reimagining would work. Would it cover the ground of both miniseries? Would it start where the TV series did? In effect, it has covered the ground of the miniseries and is pretty close to jumping in where the TV series tried. There are small little changes to distinguish, yet tie, to the previous telling. For instance, Diana is now Anna. I don't even know why bother to change it.

Anyway, I liked it while I was watching it. I'll have to reflect for awhile to see if it sticks with me.

The resistance leader did say the V's have been here for a long time, it's just they're now revealing themselves. He knows about them because he's been in the resistance for a long time and has learned about them. We haven't been given all the information on that, but we have the broad strokes. He isn't a V. Morris Chestnut is.
For some reason I kept wondering where the ships were hiding that neither NASA nor any of the other telescopes or observatories across the world never picked them up. Hiding behind the moon, I guess.

It'll be interesting to see Juliet as leading woman material. She's quite laid back and subdued in her delivery. Whoever is playing Anna, however, leaps off the screen as deliciously evil (for lack of a better word). Attractive and sinister. Just like Diana was, but even more glossy and sophisticated (it is 2009, after all). She's a reason to watch.

That's one heck of s space ship.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I enjoyed it (and I have no prior experience with any of the previous 'V' endeavors). Although I thought they revealed a bit too much for a series pilot.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
V was one of the big mini-series I grew up on in the 1980s as a child. I bring them out every couple of years for a re-watching.

• The idea of sleeper cells is very 9/11 and real. In V they mentioned they had been here from sometime in John's address at the UN but I like the idea of planting unrest in cells to give themselves the best possible chance to achieve "devotion"
  • Technology.... Special effects.... to be expected
  • I like how the visitors are hidden among us. The vocal chord issue and sunlight in V limited their ability to infiltrate which made the push against scientists and the brainwashing of key citizens such an important tool.
Dislikes:
  • Rushed.. I understand this is not a two night miniseries as it was in 83 but they through ALOT at you quickly. The patience that V earned made the reveal of the Visitors as aliens and the Fifth Column memorable. The scene where Martin saves Donovan and confides in him as a friend is moving 20+ years later.
  • Did we get to know any visitor besides Anna? I know Wondergirl was there and was it Evan who was Anna's right hand?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Diana is now Anna. I don't even know why bother to change it.
Probably because the name Diana today doesn't seem youthful or trendy.

Yeah, I also felt that the show seemed a bit rushed. I liked the slow build of the original miniseries better where the strange things that were happening were more subtle. I think they could have stretched it out for maybe another episode.

It did seem like there was some allegory to a certain figure, from the immediate applause of people after Anna's initial message to even a direct reference to a controversial issue that the Vs were offering.

One thing that bothered me is that if you were an alien race trying to appear peaceful, why would you show up in a ship, and open it up like you're about to attack and scare the shit out of people, couldn't they have just said "we're opening up a display panel, don't be frightened" I guess maybe since they are "always peaceful" they never bothered to think that other races might perceive them as a threat (or at least what they would want us to think)

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
Thought it was pretty good and I'll definitely keep watching. Like pretty much all of the cast.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think it was rushed. I have not seen the original V since it was originally broadcast. So I can't remember how it was more subtle. I think the audience of today has a far shorter attention span then my generation does. So I think they felt they had to cut to the chase. Plus, this does feel like they have something else going on that's deeper in mind for the allegory to today's post 911 world.

I thought Mitchell was believable as an FBI agent. (I love how everyone recently has been calling the actors in this show and Flashforward with the character names they last played! Sulu, Charlie and now Juliet! )

I was a little disappointed with the reveal to their reptilian nature. It was staged well and I never guessed it was her partner. But I would have thought they'd do something more original then a Gorn like alien who have human skin on top. Perhaps the ability to create a telpathic image in our mind or something like that. But this was their homage to the original, so I can accept that.

The new Diana is very creepy. I hope the Newscaster decides to grow a pair, looked like he was about to. They pretty much spoon fed many clues that were no surprise, like the Sleeper Cells. I was amused to the ID4 reference by the Geeks.

It did leave me wanted to see more. The show is very much more direct and upfront. It's actually refreshing after watching Lost and Fastforward. And that is not a knock on those shows. I didn't realize that Kenneth Johnson is credit as creator to this re-imaging. I didn't think he was actually involved.

edit: Opps, I have not been keeping up with current events, I just read one article that Johnson is not happy with this remake and has been trying to get a major motion picture of V made. Don't know how reliable that news I read is. But it sounds feasible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks