What's new

US theatrical-release films not on DVD (1977-present) (1 Viewer)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

I have the Paramount video of BABY IT'S YOU and the two Springsteen songs are definitely missing. I had rented it when it first came out, too, and that copy did not have the Springsteen songs in it either. Speaking of Springsteen, the 1980 concert film NO NUKES played theatrically and had a brief video release, but no DVD.

NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA was indeed released on video by Fox, and also by TWE Video in the US. The Canadian Interglobal release is usually in EP mode.

Another music-related title held up in music-rights hell is URGH! A MUSIC WAR. Very brief video release by CBS-FOX in the 80's, but a DVD release seems very unlikely.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

That sure likes a bootleg to me. I believe BOULEVARD NIGHTS is owned by Warner Brothers, not "el pachuco zoot suits".

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Are you sure about that? I've only seen it on VHS and laser, and the Springsteen songs were there. Apparently Sayles was friends with him (directing his "Glory Days" video) and got to use the songs.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Yes, I am absolutely sure about the VHS release. I've never seen the laserdisc.

Ya, I know Sayles was a fan/friend of Springsteen and that's how the songs got into the movie to begin with. But I don't think that included video rights, just for the very limited theatrical release. It was apparently Columbia Records that was playing hardball at the time and wanted huge money for any use beyond that, even though Springsteen's biggest album and most commercial success was still a year away. Same kind of thing happened with Bogdonavich's "MASK" a couple of years later, but since that was after the huge success of the "Born in the USA" album, they couldn't even acquire theatrical rights for a reasonable price.

If you definitely have an original VHS with the Springsteen songs, than Paramount must have somehow released two versions. Very odd, though. I saw this in the theater twice when it came out and remember how disappointed I was when I first rented the video and realized they wiped out Springsteen.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
how about blood beach

would be easier to read the list in alphabetical order with the year after the title

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bo
how about it? did it gross at least $1 million?

it would be easier to update the list if you listed the year beside your suggestions

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

The Paramount laserdisc of BABY IT'S YOU definitely has Springsteen's "Adam Raised a Cain" in it; been a while since I watched but I suspect all the other songs of The Boss are intact. What is definitely gone is, ironically, the original recording of "Baby It's You," replaced by a modern-day rerecording by the same singers. The closing credits, which are rolling, suddenly become blurry freeze frames (captures of the original rolling type), and a new credit for "Baby It's You" is inserted, to reflect the rerecorded version.

There were, I think, three VHS releases of THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA for the U.S.: the Fox edition (before the CBS joint-venture, when Magnetic Video first handled Embassy titles), an edition from Embassy Home Entertainment (when they first went independent), and then the Trans World Entertainment big-box edition. I dare wonder who even owns the movie now.

Longstanding rumor is that Miles Copeland owns hours of unseen concert footage shot for URGH!, but the logistics of trying to negotiate with the myriad record labels and publishers to get it released are insurmountable. At a screening of URGH in L.A., brother Stewart Copeland spoke of the headache of clearing all the music for his new documentary on The Police -- and those were for just for songs from one band and one record label, his own band!. The audience almost instantly intuited that URGH! was not even up for discussion.

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bo
i assume the list is complete within the given criteria.

what i'd like to do now is create a poll, and have members vote for five movies from this list that they most desire to see on dvd. can anyone teach me how this can be accomplished? can a poll be created on this site? could it accomodate this many choices? thanks

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I noticed that jack's back is not on dvd. its an older james spader movie.. anyone know who owns the rights to this title?

I remember watching it in theatres. have not seen it in ages.

Jacob

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Did anybody mention "The Monster Squad"? From what I've read on websites like I-Mockery and Crown Combo, this is a really fun movie. I would like to see this movie for the first time, but I'd like to see an official release of this title. The used copies of that sell in the mid-double-digits on websites like eBay and Amazon.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

The Theresa Russell thriller "Impulse" would be nice to see on DVD as well.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Phantasm III is on the way from ABUS - Fangoria news. Not yet sure how this will compare to the impressive Anchor Bay UK Phantasm boxset.

Monster Squad (1987) is also due out this year apparently.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
John, I liked MOnster Squad. That's a good one. Many 20 and 30 somethings remember it fondly.

I was going to add Tilt from 1979 with Brooke Shields but was surprised to find it's already here! Wow! I haven't seen that since I was in my mid teens. I remember Brook being cute as a button.

Tough to find any new ones. But I finally found another... LITTLE DRAGONS from 1980. Sort of like Bad News Bears without the cussing. Karate instead of baseball. It's also sort of like Kenny Roger's Six Pack. I caught it late night in the early 90s on USA Network (I think). I kind of liked it. Well, it was 2am so I could've watched Beaches and had a okay time of it. Anyway, there's a $30 VHS or....a cheapie DVD would be better.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

LITTLE DRAGONS is out on DVD. It is on the 50 MARTIAL ARTS DVD set from Millcreek, under the title KARATE KIDS USA. The entire set (which is pretty good, some of the films are actually letterboxed) runs for $16 at Amazon.

Forgotten fact, LITTLE DRAGONS was directed by Curtis Hanson, who would go on to direct L.A CONFIDENTIAL and plenty of other acclaimed films. It used to always be on cable in the early 80's.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I have no idea of their grosses, but two movies (with their fair share of star power) that I've been waiting for are:

The Night Before (1988)--Keanu Reeves, Lori Laughlin-- Reeves wake up in the street (in truly awesome fashion, I must say) with little memory of "the night before," only to discover he lost his prom date. Pimps named "Tito," stolen cars, and overall hilarity ensue. I love this movie.

Switching Channels (1988)--Kathleen Turner, Burt Reynolds, Christopher Reeve--A remake of The Front Page (remade previously as the classic His Girl Friday), now set in the TV news world. Won't go down in history as a movie as great as His Girl Friday, but not a bad turn by any of the cast members. Reynolds is pretty funny, and the whole movie is worth it for Reeve's Blane Bingham character.

I really thought we'd see The Night Before after Keanu went superstar with The Matrix films. And I can't believe neither Reeve's paralysis or his death have triggered the DVD release of one of his funniest turns. At least I have Noises Off.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
No way! I'll be darned. Thanks Jon. I'll be ordering that set in the future. Nothing like a 50 movie pack to totally drive you insane!

The backgrounds of directors are a great subject for a book. Somebody should write it. I love LA Confidential. Certainly no one would mistake it for Little Dragons 2.

walter o

Supporting Actor

I think you are thinking of the recent Tv show TILT, as that is out on DVD, don't think the Brooke Shields film is.

It's interesting that alot of Brooke Shields films are not out on DVD, like SAHARA, ENDLESS LOVE, JUST YOU AND ME KID, KING OF THE GYPSIES and WANDA NEVADA.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I used improper grammar on that. I actually meant that I didn't think anyone had put it in the thread as one we'd like on DVD.

For some reason that flick TILT has stuck with me over the years. Every time I'd go into a video arcade I'd get that same feeling that I got when watching the movie so many years ago. Even stuff like Tron gives me that same feeling.

JUST YOU AND ME KID sounds interesting. If they release that someday I'll definately check it out. George Burns can be a mixed bag. Sunshine Boys...Oh, God! ...then it gets a bit fuzzy. Oh, the only movie I have with Shields in it is Pretty Baby. It was disappointing because it went for shocks and could've been so much more....the whore house should've just been the background for a simple story about a little girl growing up with a mother who works in one but she still manages to have a childhood.

I've always liked flicks where children have a strong role. Paper Moon is my favorite comedy. Young Tatum O'Neal really did it for me as a kid. Now I see why, she was amazing! If I have a daughter she'll probably come out just like one of these characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks