1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading to decent quality speaker wire

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by alan22153, May 6, 2007.

1. alan22153

alan22153 Member

Hello,

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my home theater/audio system. I've got an Onkyo 604 AV receiver and am awaiting some speakers I ordered from AV123. I currently have two very old Pioneer speakers (about 30 years old) hooked up to the receiver - with your bargain basement quality speaker wire. The speakers will go the second the new ones arrive.

In preparation for the new speakers, I replaced one of the speaker wires with Monster XP-CI. I hooked up the wire to one of the Pioneer speakers only. When I turned the system back on, the speaker connected with the Monster cable is not working.

I've wired speakers a zillion times before. Any idea what could be causing this?

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Well-Known Member

Through some fluke the speaker wire may have a break in it somewhere, or perhaps there's a point in there where it's shorted somehow. Do you have a continuity tester? It should be easy enough to determine if the cable is good.