What's new

Upgrading Projector and Possibly Receiver (1 Viewer)

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
Hi all,

We have an older projector (7+ years old) that came with the house we live in when we bought it. The bulb has just burned out for the second time, and, instead of doling out $100 - $130 for a replacement, I'm deciding to look at upgrading our projector to a device that supports HD (ours only has component inputs, so even though it offers 1080p it's not going over HDMI and the quality is fairly poor). The projector is mounted to the ceiling.

I'm also planning on buying a PS4 and using that as our blueray player, Netflix, HBOGo, etc. We have some older PS games, so I'm debating picking up a PS3 as well to go alongside it.

We have a nice subwoofer and speaker system, but our receiver does not handle HDMI. Thus, I was planning on running HDMI from the PS3/4 directly to the projector - or, more ideally, find an inexpensive option for a decent receiver that can handle a few HDMI inputs to a single output device (the projector).

Lastly, on top of all of this, I'm curious if the wireless HDMI is any good. I can run a cable through the ceiling where the existing component cables run through to the projector, but I'm interested to know if wireless HDMI is an option.

My budget for all this is not huge, but I have some credit card points to redeem as well as some old gift cards. All in all, I probably have about $1000 to spend on a projector and would like to get as inexpensive but decent receiver as I can. It doesn't have to have a bunch of bells and whistles, but I want it to respond well to input from the remote, be easy to use, and, on top of everything, sound good.

So, to summarize:

1. Looking for a good HD projector under $1K (if there is such an animal) that can be ceiling mounted
2. Looking for an inexpensive option for a receiver that handles multiple HDMI inputs
3. Is wireless HDMI any good (comparable to wired) or does it not perform very well?

Thanks for the help!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. Throw distance and screen size determines the projector. If $1000, great.2. All AVR have at least 3. Current model year all have 5. The Denon X1000 is $300, today.3. It can be. Some projectors include it. But not at $1000.

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
Thanks... my screen size is 97" (about 91" is the actual viewing part of the screen, the rest is the frame). The projector sits 12 - 12.5' back from the screen. Does that help answer #1?

In terms of the wireless HDMI, I know I can buy devices that would do it for about $200 or so. It would be something plugged into the receiver and then into the projector... however, I will probably try to run the cable myself first using the existing component cable as a cable pull.

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
Awesome, thanks for the help. Out of the two lists, I'm curious if it is worth spending up for the BenQ MH740? Or would anyone recommend projectors from the list of under $1K?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That projector won't work in your situation.

That one is a large venue projector. In your setup it would create(at full brightness, and doubt low power mode would help) a 122fl image. Holy hell.

The Pro8200 is a much better choice. (it is also the only one, its price, that does 1080P/24)

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
Thanks schan... please excuse my newbiness, but how did you know the BenQ has too large an image? It looks like on the search page that it came back as a valid fit.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Not too large an image, too bright an image (brightness is measured in foot-lamberts (fL)). In basements with light control a target value would be from the upper teens to low 20's. This sucker would pump out over 100. It would be like shining the bat-signal onto your wall. Too much projector for a home cinema.

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
Ah, for some reason I was reading 122fl as 122" :) This is new ground to me, so I appreciate everyone's help.

How can I measure that by looking at the specs? Also, is the Pro8200 a decent projector?

Last question - are home projectors relatively easy to install? I have fiddled with the settings on our current projector, but it came pre-mounted to the ceiling. I was hoping to try to use my same mount to get this one installed - it doesn't seem like rocket science, but I want to be sure it makes sense vs. hiring someone to do it.

Really appreciate it!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The issue, at $1000, is lack of lens shift(not even a $1000 LCD is going to have much).

"Where" is your current projector mounted, in relation to the top of the current screen?

Lens shift is "moving the image up and down"...using Keystone is sacrilege.

The Pro8200 must be, no discussion, 15" above the top of your screen...

So, based on the height of your image(measure it from the ceiling)...is you current mount capable of placing that projector 15" above that?

If yes, great.

If not, next projector.

Edit:
And you are the one who wants to spend $1000. The W1070, is by far a more recommended projector. But...it won't work at 12'. You'd have to move your mount to under 10'. And...the W1070 has lens shift the Pro8200 doesn't have(not a lot...but it does have some).

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
Just confirmed that I can do 15" above the screen. That said, is the W7000 still worth the extra money? I am not a videophile but will watch blue rays and play latest generation console games

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only way(seriously) to know is to buy both...return one.It is like Polk TSi vs LSi. We can tell you all day long lsi is better, but it is your ears.The 7000 probably has a faster color wheel. But, BenQ doesn't publish speed. RBE is possible with DLP, but you are either part of the 5% that see it...or the 95% that don't. Faster speed lessens RBE.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Having seen both, the W7000 is going to have fairly obviously better black levels, but the W1070 is just as sharp and bright. For someone who isn't watching in a bat cave, the difference is probably not worth the money.

the_grip

Grip
Real Name
Matt
Thanks again everyone.

A few more questions:

1. Will the W7000 or W1070 handle at 12' distance from the screen?

2. Is there a particular height above the screen the W7000 or W1070 needs to be, and will it work okay with zero ambient light and a 91" screen?

3. I'm also not seeing as many reviews on the W7000, and, for twice the money, I would hope to see rave reviews.

4. Would the Epson 3020e work for my setup (91" viewable portion of my screen, 12' back) or is there another under the $2K range that might be better? The 3020e has wireless HDMI... that is why I ask.

I'm also still reading about the VS Pro8200, but it seems like there are quite a few complaints about crushed blacks and the fact that the settings don't save when you turn it off. Both of those would wear me out pretty quickly.

I can go over $1K but I want to keep it as inexpensive as possible yet get the most bang for my buck. This will be in a windowless media room, FWIW... not sure if that qualifies for a bat cave?

You all have been extremely helpful... I'm close to just pulling the trigger on one of these.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. Already said, above, that the 1070 won't. You'd have to move the mount to 10-ish feet. 7000 yes, cause it, like said above, has tons of zoom and lens shift.2. Forget the 1070, since you weren't interested in moving the mount. Again, the 7000 has lens shift.3. There aren't many DLP projector reviews. They don't need them. (You plan to game. Every DLP is better at gaming than every LCD projector. 3D, If you chose to go there, is better with DLP. There are two things LCD wins...placement flexibility, which in your case is irrelevant since the size/throw/cost factor is so out of norm. The other, at the bargain end...is black level. DLP wins every single other category.)4. Not unless you move your mount.You are the one with a $1000 budget and a long throw for such a small image.That "paltry budget" combined with

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And, like I said before. I defaulted to the Pro8200 because it was the only one that could do 1080P/24.One of the other ones only did 720P and 1080P/30. Would have to scale 1080i to one or the other.Oh yeah. If you did move your mount to 9-10 feet, instead of the ridiculously long 12, even at $1200...Your projector choices would quadruple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks