What's new

Tomorrow could be a LONG day ........HELP ! (1 Viewer)

Larry/co

Grip
Oh, To have money ! But, since I can't afford to pay someone to hook up my system ...I'll give it a go.

Looking over all the manuals it surely will be a breeze right. I DON'T think so. #1-my relic Hitachi 26'' Tv no S-Video. Just 2 yellow RCA inputs, are these components? and a Video out.Stereo Audio in's and outs. That's it.Is This where I'm Confused ? my Sony SLV-N81 VCR, and Pioneer svx-d912k receiver,and Sony Dvd Player ns755 have video components out.
I would like to be able to hook the VCR up along with all my other components and be able to record from the Hughes Exec Director Satellite feed ?
I don't think I'll have much problem setting up the Receiver for surround sound, I just need a good place to start.I have all day, NO DOUBT.

Larry/co

Grip
Before everyone repies all at once..LOL, Would a RF Modulator help me ? Or maybe I should just SPRING for the EXPERT ?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yellow is the composite video out. It goes with the red/white (left & right) audio. The back of your TV probably has three sockets for input, and three for output.

Component video has 3 wires for just the video, usually red, blue & green, but you can't do that. Just stick with the yellow and input everything into your receiver. I do hope that your DVD player has a yellow video out.

Glenn

Larry/co

Grip
Glenn,

So whatyou are saying is to follow the Pioneeer 912's manual and run everything thru that ? Yes, my DVD player is loaded with outputs.Optical and Coaxial digital outs,5.1 outs,2 video line outs and component Video out jacks-Y.pa and ps.Also,s-video outs.
Any suggestions ? the tv has audio stereo inputs and outs and 2 Video out jacks.I know that right now I have evertying but the VCR hooked up to a RCA RT 2500 HTIB and its hurting the speakers are a waste.
Oh, by the way,I'm hooking up The Fluance SX 5 speakers and the Sub is a Energy s.8 to finish it all out.It should definitely be a improvement for a reasonable budget and a 18ft by 15 room.I'll post the results later tomorrow.

Thanks.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Right! Go yellow all the way. If your sat receiver only has one yellow output, send that to the VCR and use a s-video to the receiver. The receiver should be able to downconvert the s-video to composite video to the TV.

This way you have your choice of inputs. I also ran the local antenna 'F' into the sat and the TV. Go nuts!

Glenn

Larry/co

Grip
Glenn,

Did you mean send the component Video from the Directtv receiver to the VCR and than Vcr S-video back to the Directtv receiver ? I thought it is best to run matching components - components, or S-video to S-video ? It's funny, I'm really a novice to this but usually once I get going hooking up things usually turn out fine. But you alwayys ask yourself, What could I have done to make it better ? Or, I guess I did it right ? Not being sure is a bitch.

Thanks

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
No problem. You have a really simple set-up.

I don't know what kinds of outputs you have on the back of your sat receiver. Mine had a super and two composite sets. If you only have one composite set then send it to the VCR, and send the super to the receiver (w/audio, of course).

Don't send the VCR out to the sat. That won't work. What I have done in the past (and this is really for dummies) is to get a sheet of paper out and draw a box for each unit, and label where the in's and out's are coming from/going to.

But do that while no one else is watching and burn it after you are done.

Glenn

EricSm

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick little terminology definition to hopefully clear up some confusion:

Composite: Your standard Red/White(left and right) audio jacks, with a yellow video jack.

Component: 3 separate cords for video-- as suggested-- usually red, green, and blue. The jacks are often labeled something like Pb Pr Py.

To make it simpler, look at the back of your dvd player. There will be a red/white/yellow output. That is composite. That's the one you want. The component would be great if your tv had the proper inputs, but since it doesn't just go ahead and ignore it. No component for you today.

If your receiver has all the necessary inputs, you could just use composite connections for all your devices, then a composite connection from the receivers video out to the television.

Think red/white/yellow all the way through and match "out" on the components to "in" on the receiver and then "out" on the receiver to "in" on the television.

Good luck. I think your sound system will be great for your needs!

Larry/co

Grip
Guys, thanks for the feedback, I got started hooking it up today. Guess What ? I'll be hooking it up again Tomorrow. Glen, funny you should mention, the diagram on the sheet of paper, exactly what I and my brother have done in the past. He'll be over today with his diagram.
Question ? My receiver has assigned digital inputs. It seems that you can only use Coaxial to hook up my DVD player. I used the Tv/sat optical input and now get my DVD thru the receivers Tv/sat function and on Line2 tv output. I can play DVD'S fine with all the surround functions but I get no sound for the SACD CD'S from the Sony 755 DVD Player.
Please anyone.....check out the configuration of units earlier in the thread for more help.I still have two Toslink Optical digital cables and nowhere to put them.
I'll be looking in pereiodically tomorrow. Hopefully, between the forum and my bro's help we'll conquer this BEAST.
Thanks, it's time to make the Donuts.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Drat! I thought we were just going to talk about video!

I think that for SACD's - if they are in your DVD player you will have to run an analog red/white pair from it to the receiver.

Who sold you the optical cables?

Glenn

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No bumping, Larry. You may keep the masses informed of your project here. Your newest thread attempt is a no-go. Thank you.

Larry/co

Grip
My bad Jack. Here's the final hookup. I'm real happy with the resuls. The receiver Pioneer 912 is easy and the MCACC speaker function worked as advertised. With the Fluance SX speaker package, Delightful.

This shoul help anyone with a Old Tv with no S-VIDEO or Component jacks.

To watch DVD...TV on Line 1
RECEIVER on DVD/LD
To watch Direct TV Satellite..TV on line 1
VCR on Line 1
RECEIVER on Sat/Tv
To watch VHS tape.....TV on Line 1
VCR on Line 1
RECEIVER on SAT/LD
n/b Sattelite Receiver MUST be OFF.
And Finally to RECORD From Direct tv Dish
TV on Line 1
VCR on line 1
RECEIVER on Sat/LD
There you have it. I'd like to thank everyone who responded to the thread, but most of all my brother Dave for making this Happen. You DaMan !

Cool

Larry/co

Grip
The day after and things are looking good. I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance of all my components thus far. Beleive me, you can get very good picture from a 16 year old Hitachi Tv. Although, I WILL be getting a new Tv before Football rolls around. I would just like the luxury of using 1 remote and component video.The downside I only have room for a 27" in my wall unit.
Thank you to all the members who boasted about the Fluance Sx five speaker system. Very Nice and I think there is still some opening up to go. The Top entry level Pioneer SVXD-912K has worked very well. It takes some getting used to and a few reads thru the manual, but easy once you get the hang of it. I especially like the way it allows you to play DVD-Audio on a Sony 755 SACD/DVD player. You just set the receiver signal to Digital NEO-6 and DTS on the DVD Player and you're a GROOVIN. I'm a huge Steve Howe and Yes fan, and the Bonus Track " America " on the Fragile DVD Audio, Well just give a listen. One Question, I have a assigned Coaxial Digital default on the receiver.It's working fine but I would to use a optical digital audio in place off. I have 2 extra Optical digital cables.
Any Thoughts ??......And for any other Steve Howe fans. Check out his web site or 20TH Century sound. He has a limited edition CD called " Masterpiece Guitars ", where he and Jazz Guitarist Martin Taylor play vintage guitars. Original and Standard pieces. Alone and together. WOW !

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Nice going! I'm glad you're happy with it.

As for the digital coax vrs digital optical - they are basically the same, performance-wise. Just hang on to the opticals. Some units do not not a digital coax output.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks