What's new

Help with coaxial cable please? (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Allred

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Allred
Hi guys,

I got a new Sony bd player and it needs a coaxial cable to hook up to my audio receiver but all the coaxial cables I find are (and excuse my ignorance with terminology) the kind that has a needle like protrusion that gets screwed in.
Both my bd player and receiver have ports that don't fit that, looks more like a regular plug in.
Is this descriptive enough for anyone to understand what I mean?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You’re referring to coax cable used for cable and satellite TV, which is an RG-6 cable. You’re also right that the connections on your player and receiver look like the standard kind (RCA). A standard RCA cable will work fine, but one designated for digital coax would be a better option.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Michael D. Allred

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Allred
You’re referring to coax cable used for cable and satellite TV, which is an RG-6 cable. You’re also right that the connections on your player and receiver look like the standard kind (RCA). A standard RCA cable will work fine, but one designated for digital coax would be a better option.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
So it's called "digital coax" cable then

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, you know you don't need that cable at all if your receiver has hdmi inputs. hdmi carries video and audio.

Michael D. Allred

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Allred
Just use any old composite video cable you have laying around -- the ones included with old DVD or VHS players are usually yellow. No need to spend extra money on a special "digital" coax cable.
The new bd player doesn't have those outputs unfortunately.
I got a digital coax cable and sadly got no audio. Tried everything to no avail.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The new bd player doesn't have those outputs unfortunately.
I got a digital coax cable and sadly got no audio. Tried everything to no avail.
Are you sure the BD player has a coaxial digital output? Some only have digital optical (i.e. Toslink) outputs. If you post the model number of the player, we can check the specifications. If your receiver has such a matching optical input, then you will need an optical cable. Here is an inexpensive one on Amazon.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit confused what inputs your receiver and outputs your BDP have, but assuming you don't want to get a new receiver, there are several fairly cheap audio converters -- either HDMI to analog/digital Audio or Digital to Analog

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks