What's new

Time After Time - SPOILER (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My wife and just finished watching this terrific movie and we noticed one thing that seemed to be missing. We haven't seen the movie in years, we never owned a copy of the movie till now.

It is our recollection that at the end of the movie when Herbert and Amy return to his time, we see a photo of the two as a married couple back in 1890 or whatever year it was. In the DVD version, there is no picture, that we can see.

Are we recollecting something that was never there, or has it been deleted?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I saw an original 35mm print of TIME AFTER TIME a few months ago and I don't recall any photograph of the two of them at the end. Perhaps you're thinking of a scene from another time-travel film such as Somewhere in Time?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No, Peter. Johnny's onto something. I had the same eerie feeling yesterday evening.
Last night I finally found time to watch this DVD with my wife present...she's never seen it and I wanted her to. So I'd held off on the DVD till we had 2 hours free to watch it together. She enjoyed it thoroughly.
As the film ended, I was looking for the item Johnny speaks of, so I could point it out to my wife. It never appeared.
I very vividly remember it, but figured that my memory was faulty in the way Peter suggested of Johnny. I knew it wasn't Somewhere In Time I was thinking of (though these two would be a good double-feature, eh?). But I just figured I misremembered the ending.
Now that I see Johnny talking about it, I know I wasn't crazy. :p)
I just checked IMDB, but they don't have an "alternate version" listing for this film. :frowning: Nor does it appear on "The Cut List" at DVDFile.
I can't speak for Johnny, but I myself only first saw this film on Cable TV back in the 80's. Pan-and-Scan, of course...I loved seeing it in 2.35:1 finally! Perhaps the HBO/Showtime/MovieChannel version from 15-20 years ago had this difference.
As the credits finished and I never saw this item, I considered (silently; didn't want to make a fool of myself in front of the wife...I do enough of that!) the difference in the tone of the film without this "misremembered scene". I decided that it was a nice touch, but didn't make a difference. In fact, I recalled wondering all those years ago how their exploration of the area earlier in the film could miss it!
I expect that somewhere out there is a slightly different cut of the film. I wouldn't mind having closure on this mystery, and any other differences that might exist. But all in all the movie I watched last night was as enjoyable as ever. A real classic. And while I for once found myself upset that there weren't more supplements, I can live without 'em. The play's the thing!
PS - Peter, you might want to put a spoiler tag on that! What you say is general enough, but can still lead one to put two-and-two together. :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Is it possible you're all thinking of Back to the Future 3, where Mary Steenburgen plays another woman who marries a time traveller?

M.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Gentlemen....

As an ex-owner of an original 35mm print....

Owner of an old VHS copy....

Owner of a WIDE SCREEN laserdisc version....

And owner of the new DVD...

I can honestly say..... This "picture" scene has never been in any of these.

Now... thatz not to say that footage was not added to maybe a tv run.... But, this never appeared in any of the above.

Chris

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My wife viewed this movie with me last week.

She agreed that this is an unquestionably great film. A "SCI-FI/Fantasy/Horror/Romance" movie that works! We both gave it "Four Stars". (Not bad considering that she initially wanted to turn it off after the first five minutes!)

As to the posed question: I have to admit that I had only viewed the movie previously in P&S (taped off HBO years ago). In the prior version that I viewed, I did seem to remember the picture in question at the end.

I probably still have that P&S tape out in the basement somewhere. If I can locate it, I'll let you know if our memories are "in sync" here, or if we're all "out to lunch" on this ...

MattHR

Screenwriter
There was a made-for-tv movie from 1979 called "The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan" that contains a scene like what has been described.

The movie starred Lindsay Wagner and Alan Feinstein as a young couple who buy an old 19th-century home to renovate.
While cleaning the attic, Jennie finds an old dress. When she tries on the dress, she finds herself back in time and meets the original owner of the house, who is an artist (Marc Singer). At first, she thinks the "time-travel" incident is a dream. But repeated wearings of the dress prove she is not dreaming. Her husband and friends worry that she is having psychological problems and don't believe her stories. Her best friend tells her she "was born in the wrong time" and these are just fantasies. Things become more complicated when she falls in love with the man from the past. Her husband, trying to make amends for a past infidelity, gives her a beautiful necklace. While in the present, she learns the fate of the man from the past, and dons the dress to save him. Her husband, in the present, has tired of her "stories" and plans to destroy the dress.

He finds her wearing the dress and necklace, but she is dead. While cleaning out the attic preparing to move, he finds an old painting. The painting is of his wife, with children. She is wearing the dress, and the necklace he gave her. He finally is able to believe her story. She actually did travel to the past, and had a happy life with the man and their family, something she could never have had with him in the present.

The tv-movie was quite good. It had similar themes to "Time After Time" and moreso "Somewhere in Time". Maybe this is the ending you were thinking of?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
There was a made-for-tv movie from 1979 called "The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan" that contains a scene like what has been described...The tv-movie was quite good. It had similar themes to "Time After Time" and moreso "Somewhere in Time". Maybe this is the ending you were thinking of?
The entire thing could be memory playing tricks on me. I've been caught "red-minded" here on HTF before. :D So I was prepared to keep my mouth shut over it.
But now that Johnny started this thread, and also Joseph Bolus seems to agree with us, we seem to have four people (including Johnny's wife) who recall this variation of the ending. At least two of us are remembering independantly of each other. That doesn't seem like mass-hypnosis to me.
I checked to see if I taped this off of cable. No, I don't have it. I must have bought the VCR after the thing stopped airing regularly, or I definately would have taped it. :frowning: Explains why it's been so long since I've seen this excellent film! If Mr. Bolus can find his copy, then maybe we can find out something.
In the meantime, anyone else who can...HELP! :wink:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Can someone ask the question again without spoilers? My software prohibits me from reading them and I have seen Time After Time many, many times.

Besides, the thread title does say "spoiler".

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Tino, why don't you instead click Johnny's e-mail icon and ask him privately to reveal the spoilers to you? Why ruin the movie for those who haven't seen it?

There are those HTFers who ignore the "Spoiler" in the heading, and though it's their own fault, there IS a different way for you to handle it, so why not do it that way? Just a suggestion.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I swear I remember the camera panning over to an old B&W picture on the desk or wall that had Wells sitting down and Amy standing behind him.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dave
I just didn't feel like going to all that trouble, sorry. I certainly wasn't trying to spoil the film for anyone:frowning:
Anyway, I think I got the gist of the question.
I own the VHS, LD, DVD and have a copy recorded off HBO many years ago. I have also seen TAT probably fifty times (including five times during its original theatrical run).
NOTHING has been changed or is missing from the DVD. I just checked. All the versions are identical.:b
Hope that helps.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm very familiar with this film having seen it numerous times on different formats, from the theater opening to the DVD and there has never been such a scene.......memory plays tricks.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Maybe when it aired on network TV (CBS I think?) they, as they are want to do sometimes, added something in to guarantee that we understood it was a "happy" ending.
I do have a memory of this last shot though, unless is was The Shining I was remembering.;)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Can anybody say "Hannibal's brain-cutting scene"? :)
Actually, this should be easy to confirm (that the DVD is correct. Which it is, at least with respect to the original theatrical version). Somebody who has a tape of the cable broadcast just needs to fast-forward to that sequence and settle this.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Peter

As I said, I did just that. Nothing is missing or has been changed.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Somebody who has a tape of the cable broadcast just needs to fast-forward to that sequence and settle this.
Not really, I have an HBO showing taped from 1990 and that scene is not in there. Like I said, maybe it was added in for Network broadcast. I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks