1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Things move to "Very Bad" on the Sony/PSN Front..

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mattCR, Apr 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    http://uk.playstation.com/home/news/articles/detail/item369506/PSN-Qriocity-Service-Update/

In other words: the hackers got the house. They got your name, address, phone numbers, passwords, purchasing information, credit card information.. red alert, they have it all.. so, there you go. If you had a Credit Card tied to PSN, I don't know if monitoring it for fraudulent charges is the right idea as much as just spiking it. I'm more concerned because Sony used other information (like damn social security numbers and address) for verification, and so if they really got compromised they f--- all, they just turned it all over to whoever to use however they want.

This may be one of the largest events of data being compromised I can ever remember.

2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Is that only in the UK and Europe? I haven't received any e-mail regarding this incident.

3. mattCR

HW Reviewer

Matt

The impact is global, just that the UK one updated their blog.. but the impact is for all PSN users.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Wow, that is majorly messed up. Where's the class-action lawsuit and how do I join?

What's even more disappointing is their laissez-faire response. When another company's data was jeopardized (and they didn't get credit card info, just names) they auto-enrolled me in a fraud protection company free of charge. This is a weak-sauce answer from Sony.

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Great! This type of situation is exactly why I don't like online shopping. Now, I'm going to have change most of my passwords and cancel my credit card. Wonderful! Thanks, Sony.

6. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

This. Really hope we can send those responsible to prison for 20+ years once all is said and done.

7. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

I'm sure somewhere in the small print of the almost unreadable user agreement there is a small line that will state that Sony and its partners are not liable for any compromising of their systems and loss of information thereby.

8. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam

Especially since PSN is free. I can see there being more accountability for a paid service like XBL.

I think people would have been better off to have had only their CC info stolen, All the personal info with security questions and answers stolen is bad news.

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

While this may be true, if they want to be in the business of having people spend money on their services, they better step up and try to make this right to the best of their ability. While a catch-all may protect them from lawsuits, if they lose the public's trust in their online services, they face the potential of a massive exodus away from their services, which would hurt their future revenues more than a class action lawsuit would.

I know personally I'll not put my credit card info on their server ever again if they don't take steps to remedy the situation (not just for the future, but to help protect us from harm/fallout from this security breach).

They need to pay and contract with a credit protection bureau and auto-enroll those affected free of charge.

10. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Consider placing a security freeze on your credit reports. Better than just watching credit report activity, it prevents most from ever happening. Strangely, this step never gets the kind of promotion it should, but then it also doesn't involve a monthly service fee.

More info:

A freeze can be placed with all three credit reporting agencies online.

Equifax: https://www.freeze.equifax.com/

Experian: https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

Transunion: https://annualcreditreport.transunion.com/fa/securityFreeze/landing

11. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Carlo-

I should preface this by saying I don't have a PS or a PSN account, but I agree that they need to do something other than say "ooops".

12. mattCR

HW Reviewer

Matt
    Sony has now put up a FAQ:
    http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=2356

I will say this: the fact that it took them a week before they divulged that Hackers had usernames/passwords/email accounts is annoying as piss. If they had a thought this happened, they should have been almost required to tell people as soon as possible. I can't believe they didn't know what DB had been compromised a week ago. It basically means they let their users passwords/usernames/addresses/info hang out in the wind for a week. I have no problem changing all my passwords, but I would have liked to not give the hackers a week head start if I can avoid it. I don't duplicate passwords many places, but all it takes is one place, and then the dominoes start to fall..

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I know nothing about online gaming but why does Sony require a SSN from people to play a game?

14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    They don't. Whoever reported that is incorrect.

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

They would not ask for that. Sony did warn people about not giving out that information as a result of the hack:

16. mattCR

HW Reviewer

Matt
    And the hack begins! I just had someone try to open up a Facebook account using an email address that only exists one place: PSN. When I found the email come through asking me if I wanted to change my password it looked like:

But:

(a) I'm not Patrick

(b) I have no idea who this spambot in India is

(c) Why is some spambot setting up phony facebook pages using my email address?

17. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell

Creepy! so far I've had nothing with my info that was probably stolen. there was a report that hackers are selling the information, including credit cards with the 3 digit security deals, but I know I've never given sony those security digits, so it sounds like BS.

http://gawker.com/#!5797077/playstation-hackers-hock-22-million-credit-cards-on-underground-forums

18. mattCR

HW Reviewer

Matt
    At some point, you did. I know I had to when I updated mine for PSN+.. I have to admit, the purchase of PlaystationPlus subscription looks really stupid right about now.. HOWEVER, I keep a completely throw-away Walmart(TM) Moneycard that is only for things like this. I never give online stores real money for the most part (few exceptions) as I just draw the cash out, put it on the WM card, and spend it there.. that way if it gets compromised, there is nothing there. And since I generally spend more then a thousand a month online, Walmart gives me the card for free no interest, no fees, so win-win

19. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Really? I don't remember entering it. I got PSplus mid march (great timing), and didn't have to enter anything different then when I buy anything off the store. It's been so long a go that I used my credit card to buy PSN credit, I don't remember entering the 3 digit security code. I don't remember entering my address either though, so what do I know ha ha.

That said, now that this has happened, I'm going back to buying point cards. I found them a nuisance, and figured that sony would be a big enough company it wouldn't be a problem to use my credit card with them ridiculous!

20. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam

That is a good question. What do they gain by having a fake FB page?