What's new

Things move to "Very Bad" on the Sony/PSN Front.. (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, Anon-OPS have said they weren't involved. Individual Anonymous members and hangers-on are likely to have been involved, at a minimum as a script-kiddy DDOS smoke screen for those doing the real leg work.

Which tells you a lot about the group. Supposedly they are a headless hydra but the real brains are in fact centralized.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They can't, by their own definition of what they are, have a "real brain" in the center. If someone decides to say that they are part of Anonymous, then they are a member of Anonymous. That's how they operate.

Sony claims to have found a file on their servers that said the hack was done by Anonymous. Sony was under attack by them for the last few weeks before the PSN shut down. Coincidence? No. It's probably just a couple fringe guys who are doing what they want so they can feel cool and like they have made some impact on the world, while the rest of Anonymous just gets annoyed and blamed. When you start this kind of a group, this stuff happens. I feel absolutely no sympathy for anything bad that happens to them. Nothing they've ever done was, in my opinion, for the greater good.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's pretty hard to defend a bunch of scumbags for joining with other idiots and then feel betrayed because some idiots were more idiotic then they were for joining in the first place ;)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The good news is that it is unlikely that Anonymous would have had any interest in people's credit card info. I know there's no evidence that credit card info was stolen in the first place, but even if it turns out that credit card info was accessed, I doubt they'd do anything with it -- compared to if this had been the work of some sort of organized crime syndicate whose purpose would have been to get credit card info.

I just wish Sony would allow for a token sign-on, a sign-on to nothing, so that Netflix would work again (since Netflix requires a sign-on to load properly -- and the workaround stopped working for me more than a week ago).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
At this point, Sony better be offering a shit ton of free content, price deals for PSN+ users...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Will - Anonymous would be more likely to post snippets of the information than sell it. That said, it's exactly what happened about a week ago with some of the info that was taken from SOE's servers.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I know TWIT and Security Now has ripped Sony a new one on their shows. They called all of Sony a bunch of idiots and Leo and crew don't believe most of what anyone has said, especially about the so called "file" left behind by "Anonymous". When they went on, they said you would be a fool to believe any such group, much less they are the ones responsible for any of it. The first rule is dis-information, so leaving a clue behind seems too ridiculous to believe. It was some very interesting discussion and Steve Gibson had some great insight as always on things.

As it stands now, PSN had better be free for at least a year and they need to give away a lot of free points to buy some things with for all the lost time. You can't even play some games if they require an update from PSN in order to play. Just glad I have a 360 too so I can still get by. I am considering moving most my games that are on both over to just the 360 now.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
You can't even play some games if they require an update from PSN in order to play.
I believe that software updates for games do work. I got Mortal Kombat the other day and the software update that was needed did work.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I've been playing some of my older games recently, such as "Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction," which have not been played in over a year, and an update was downloaded after I inserted the game disc.

Originally Posted by WillG

I believe that software updates for games do work. I got Mortal Kombat the other day and the software update that was needed did work.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It's been so long that the vibe on this in the media seems to be indifference at this point, like PSN will never come back :S

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Most updates come from the vendors. Some games are reliant on the network being available (Little Big Planet, which used to get TONS of play in our house has been dormant) In fact, come to think of it, they were holding a giveaway of a car for level designs on LBP2.. I wonder how that went when the date of the giveaway was during the shutdown.

Games like DC Universe, etc. are also dead

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I'm not particularly familiar with how guilds work, but your post has me curious. What are the ramifications of the downtime, and how has it killed the guild? Folks just lost interest and moved on to other things, or something else?

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by mattCR

Most updates come from the vendors. Some games are reliant on the network being available (Little Big Planet, which used to get TONS of play in our house has been dormant) In fact, come to think of it, they were holding a giveaway of a car for level designs on LBP2.. I wonder how that went when the date of the giveaway was during the shutdown.

Games like DC Universe, etc. are also dead

Yes, that was basically what I was referring to and you are correct. For some reason, I tried to update my MLB game and it did not work so I thought it was all games that could not update. It's nice to know some games will update and I guess it just depends upon the game or maybe even when you tried? As you said, the games that require network connection or multi-play are out of luck and that's bad.

Since I own a 360 too, I may end up switching most my cross-platform games over so I can play. At this point, most in the media have no idea when things will be ok due to Sony's lack of communication on a regular basis. What I do know is they said they are going to give away 1 month of PSN+ for everyone and something else I forgot. The media basically laughed at that because it was so little they were doing when they come back it was almost an insult to their customers.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They are giving away 1 Month of PSN+.

Let me explain PSN+.

PSN+ lets you buy PSN games at about a 30% discount (select titles) and get exclusive access to other titles (Free) along with Qore. When you QUIT PSN+, you get to keep the titles you bought at a discount (woo-hoo!) but any game that you downloaded for Free or any extras (you get access to extra areas in PSHome and extra Avatars etc. which I've always found totally pointless, I gave up on PSHome a long time ago as kind of stupid).. anyway, if you downloaded the free games/etc. when you quit PSN+, those games revert to trialware and you have to buy them or rejoin PSN+ to keep them.

So, Sony gave people 1 month of "coupons" with games that are shareware attached unless they keep paying the fee.

As far as I was concerned, it was one of the most completely lame offers ever. And for people who already had PSN+? We get 1 month extra added to what we've paid for.

This IS NOT a bonus. We have just LOST one month that I had already paid for. Giving me back services I've already paid for isn't any sort of redemption. They are saying it will be down for almost 2 months. For those of us with year PSN+, how is giving us 1 month anything but a screw job? I'm sure they will give it to us on top of what we lost.. but wow.

The Playstation is basically a brick in my livingroom at the moment. My wife jokes about it "oh, so.."

Users who are viewing this thread