What's new

Barnes and Noble Computers Compromised (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Not a bargain but I don't know where else to post this.

I received the following email last night

Dear Barnes & Noble Customer,

It is with the greatest regret we inform you that we were made aware on October 10, 2020 that Barnes & Noble had been the victim of a cybersecurity attack, which resulted in unauthorized and unlawful access to certain Barnes & Noble corporate systems.

We write now out of the greatest caution to let you know how this may have exposed some of the information we hold of your personal details.

Firstly, to reassure you, there has been no compromise of payment card or other such financial data. These are encrypted and tokenized and not accessible. The systems impacted, however, did contain your email address and, if supplied by you, your billing and shipping address and telephone number. We currently have no evidence of the exposure of any of this data, but we cannot at this stage rule out the possibility. We give below answers to some frequently asked questions.

We take the security of our IT systems extremely seriously and regret sincerely that this incident has occurred. We know also that it is concerning and inconvenient to receive notices such as this. We greatly appreciate your understanding and thank you for being a Barnes & Noble customer.

Barnes & Noble​
FAQ
1.​
Have my payment details been exposed?​
No, your payment details have not been exposed. Barnes & Noble uses technology that encrypts all credit cards and at no time is there any unencrypted payment information in any Barnes & Noble system.​
It4MLI3YdqBsgockRyIgqP-aXX9IYw_X-4FmVMuXHTN1XH0U2ASZmaCOa9Rztb7O7Zf46yRfcXdtXVZL3sikCGI1qwEQ7MtyzuZvRMxz5w=s0-d-e1-ft
2.​
Could a transaction be made without my authorization?​
No, no financial information was accessible. It is always encrypted and tokenized.​
It4MLI3YdqBsgockRyIgqP-aXX9IYw_X-4FmVMuXHTN1XH0U2ASZmaCOa9Rztb7O7Zf46yRfcXdtXVZL3sikCGI1qwEQ7MtyzuZvRMxz5w=s0-d-e1-ft
3.​
Was my email compromised?​
No. Your email was not compromised as a result of this attack. However, it is possible that your email address was exposed and, as a result, you may receive unsolicited emails.​
4.​
Was any personal information exposed due to the attack?​
While we do not know if any personal information was exposed as a result of the attack, we do retain in the impacted systems your billing and shipping addresses, your email address and your telephone number if you have supplied these.​
5.​
Do you retain any other information in the impacted systems?​
Yes, we also retain your transaction history, meaning purchase information related to the books and other products that you have bought from us.​

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Interesting. I'm a current customer and Rewards member, and I didn't receive anything.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Despite being a member for years and years, I've never gotten an email from them (and no, it's not in my junk mail as that's been their only suggestion for years) so I didn't get this one either.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Despite being a member for years and years, I've never gotten an email from them (and no, it's not in my junk mail as that's been their only suggestion for years) so I didn't get this one either.

Have you signed your email up for their newsletter -- used to called the Be In the Know near the bottom of the page?

I have heard otehr people who have had the same issue -- never gotten emails, ads, coupons despite being a registered paid Member. Sometime the newsletter sign-up knocks something loose, with persistence some people have finally gotten far enough into IT where they found something that was blocking the email address and fixed it, but many people gave up well before that stage.

In the last year or two, I think I've read more successes than in the 8 prior years. Not sure if their system upgrade a while back helped or some other change in the system or IT Admin

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I received that email and then the one last night, which promised a coupon that I had to read the email twice to find, lol. However since I am not planning on buying online today and then pick it up at the Barnes and Noble Union Square, the 15% coupon is worthless to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks