What's new

Things move to "Very Bad" on the Sony/PSN Front.. (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

That is a good question. What do they gain by having a fake FB page?

Would it be to establish a north american identity for ID theft? I doubt it but it's the only thing I can think of. I'm not much of a criminal mastermind ha ha

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Maybe I'll just continue to watch netflix via my laptop... Guess it's good that I've kept procrastinating setting up my free PS3 til now and PSN was already down when I tried to install the netflix app.

Now if I can just hook up my laptop to my LCD....

Jay

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jay H

Maybe I'll just continue to watch netflix via my laptop... Guess it's good that I've kept procrastinating setting up my free PS3 til now and PSN was already down when I tried to install the netflix app.

Now if I can just hook up my laptop to my LCD....

Jay

Does your laptop have an HDMI or Display Port? If its just VGA then you will need a converter box (an adapter cable won't work).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, that's the problem, I have a cheap laptop without any output other than the VGA... Don't mind too much watching stuff on my laptop, it is a widescreen one... I don't know why I have to sign up for PSN just to install the netflix app.. I wonder if I can get the netflix app w/o PSN...

Jay

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sony says they are sorry in a press conference (going on right now). Users will get a free 30 days of PS+. Uh, how lame is that? The rules of PS+ is that anything you buy on PS+ (or get for free) expires as soon as you stop being PS+. So, you get 30 days of what turns out to be shareware. How completely lame. This may be the worst press conference apology I have ever seen a company put on. It's humiliating. FYI, for people who already subscribe to PS+ (like me) you get NOTHING. Oh, they did at least acknowledge that about 10 Million CCs were on file and they are working with the FBI on their potential exposure.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sony announce that the PSN will start coming back up this week, meanwhile, they had to shut down another series of servers after another intrusion this weekend....

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1165473p1.html?RSSwhen2011-05-02_112100&RSSid=1165473&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ignfeeds%2Fps3+%28IGN+PS3%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

This isn't looking good at all :(

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
"While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility." So far no one has reporting a single credit card fraud from this intrusion, have they? So they got the info that is in the phone book, and the password to PSN -- which is only a problem if your password to PSN is one you use for everything else. Maybe they will discover that credit card info was stolen. There are rumors after all that the set of data is being sold on the black market. But so far it seems like no damage done.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

That is a good question. What do they gain by having a fake FB page?

By accessing your real FB page, maybe they can figure out who is your mother, and be one step closer to having the super-secret "mother's maiden name" answer that some banks use?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I now have 1 PSN account at least 6 SOE accounts dead in the water and no EQ for me =( I might actually have to chip away at my backlog a bit. I played a bit of Torchlight last night and really enjoyed it, but I have completely lost faith in Sony, so not sure where my MMO ties lie. If this downtime kills my EQ guild I will never forgive SOE.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I just read over at Huffington Post that Sony promised PSN would be back online by the end of this week.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/03/psn-back-online_n_856798.html

All hope is not lost.... at least not yet. ;)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You may have entered the 3-digit or 4-digit (for Amex) security code when making a payment, but Sony is NOT supposed to store those -- they're for transaction-time verification only. If it turns out that they were storing those numbers, they are going to be in deep doo-doo with the credit card companies.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't buy much from the online store and my online game playing is minimal, so I might just cancel the account. They couldn't protect my information the first time, so why would I trust them a second time?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I trust Sony. It's a good thing this is a big story and that my credit card is through my bank and they're good at the fraud alert stuff. Even if this did impact me, it's the price you pay for the convenience of not having to buy PSN point cards.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sony misunderestimates :) The time to restore the PSN network.. was scheduled "this week" but the extent of the break was bigger then they thought; so now no new ETA.. just "as soon as we can" Enterting week #3, you've got to think Sony's overall sales have got to be getting hammered. Some of their most significant games are unplayable at the moment. (Ever try to play Little Big Planet without online content?)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/06/service-restoration-update/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah that's great. What it won't get me back is my frigging guild which has basically been stabbed in the heart by this. Will take an AWFUL lot for us to recover. We've been through a LOT of drama (hell, we beat out 3 migrations to WOW) and kept going. But this? I dunno man....

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
For those of us with a PS3 that have been following this story, things still are not getting any better it seems. Today, there was yet a 3rd breach discovered, although not as bad as the first two. However, given how much damage control they have had so far and the way things are going, nothing would surprise me. It seems like they have a LOT of security to deal with and it may be some time before they get their PSN back to anywhere close to normal.

http://www.scmagazineus.com/sony-delays-psn-restart-as-third-breach-is-discovered/article/202465/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks