What's new

THE RESCUERS is the sole unreleased Disney animated film... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Now that SLEEPING BEAUTY has been "announced" (via a trailer on the BEAUTY AND BEAST set), that leaves THE RESCUERS (1977) as the lone unreleased animated film from the Disney Studios (other than future Platinum titles THE LION KING and ALADDIN). Does that tally with everyone else's figures?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Future Platinum titles Cinderella & Bambi have also never been released on DVD. But yes, if Sleeping Beauty is coming that would make The Rescuers the last unreleased, non-Platinum Disney animated classic.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see it sometime in 2003, however.
Edit: I don't think DuckTales is considered a "Classic", by Disney's own branding. Probably splitting hairs, I know. Was DuckTales a theatrical release??

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I recall that Ducktales was theatrical, like the Goofy Movie.

I suppose that Song of the South dosn't qualify as an unreleased animated film, but I can dream can't I?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Of the "42 Masterpiece classics" (per Disney's criteria...and no, Ducktales: TotLL, while a theatrical release, is not one of those!), the ones we still need on DVD and cannot buy today are:
#5 - Bambi (Platinum, 2005?)
#12- Cinderella (Platinum, 2006?)
#16- Sleeping Beauty (2003)
#23- The Rescuers (unannounced)
#31- Aladdin (Platinum, 2004?)
#32- The Lion King (Platinum, 2003)
#41- Lilo & Stitch (2002)
#42- Treasure Planet (2003?)
So, yes, The Rescuers will have to be the last "old" one on the announcement docket. We just got a fresh VHS of it about 3 years ago. I recall vividly that it was around the time of my DVD player purchase. I was glad I got the, ahem, "First Printing". I doubt I get that on the DVD version. :frowning:
There are still plenty of non-Masterpiece titles that need to be released on DVD. Among the mixed-animated-and-live, the primary two that come to mind are Song Of The South and the announced-then-cancelled So Dear To My Heart. Those aren't on the horizon yet. Don't forget we'll probably get an SE (Vista) of Roger Rabbit before we see those two.
Among the rest are, yes, Ducktales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp, the entire Brave Little Toaster trilogy, Doug's 1st Movie, and the Miyazaki titles like Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle In The Sky, and Spirited Away. There are also probably hundreds of made-for-tv and made-for-video animated "specials", too countless to name here.
Don't forget the missing live-action titles like Absent Minded Professor, Darby O'Gill And The Little People, Flight Of The Navigator, The Shaggy Dog, The Shaggy D.A., The Apple Dumplin' Gang, and of course all the Herbie's.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Doug's 1st Movie
Ouch, David. Why did you have to bring up that painful memory? I took my daughter to that piece of junk in the theater (it wasn't even planned, we just kind of ended up there with some friends). I've never seen a more boring animated movie. It had absolutely no improvement in production values over it's TV origins. Although I didn't actually see all of it, since I fell asleep. Hopefully it was Doug's Last Movie too.

I'd like Disney to get about releasing more family titles like the Herbies on DVD before my daughter gets too much older. Hopefully they won't end up as fullframe only releases. I'm already sore about White Fang, Natty Gann, Whispers, Cheetah, Muppet Treasure Island, Honey I Shrunk ...

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
That's odd. The Rescuers is out in R4. Anamorphic widescreen, DD5.1 with a few extras. I'm surprised this hasn't even been announced for R1.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I'd like Disney to get about releasing more family titles like the Herbies on DVD before my daughter gets too much older. Hopefully they won't end up as fullframe only releases. I'm already sore about White Fang, Natty Gann, Whispers, Cheetah, Muppet Treasure Island, Honey I Shrunk ...
Whispers is actually non-anamorphic widescreen despite what the packaging says. Just a head's up.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I'd definitely get The Rescuers.
I have yet to find The Rescuers Down Under so if they came as a box set I'd get it for sure. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
didnt they do a remake of freaky friday a few years ago.

i'd count on that one first.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Rather than starting a new thread on Disney DVDs, perhaps I could ask this here. Does anyone know what Disney's plans are for the old live-action films? films such as The Absent-Minded Professor, The Computer Who Wore Tennis Shoes, The Shaggy D.A., etc. I really love those old Disney films compared to their newer live-action films.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Probably send to Vault Disney, the classic movies line. And yeah, bring me the box sets of Duck Tails, Tales Spin, Aladdin, Darkwing Duck, Chip and Dale, and House of Mouse.

By the way, I always run into Rescuers Down Under at Wal-Mart around here. They have about five copies, along with a couple of Robin Hoods and Oliver and Company for 15 dollars.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Bet when The Rescuers comes to dvd it won't have the two frames featuring a topless lady in a window that someone slipped into one of the LD releases (which I own and have observed).

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

When you say "slipped into one of the LD releases", do you mean that it wasn't there in the theatrical version?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I have yet to find The Rescuers Down Under
Gee, I find it hard to not find it. Saw it at a local music store chain yesterday for $14.99; I've seen it at Costco for $12.99. Also tend to spot it at Circuit City and Target, sometimes at the ..-Mart stores. It's only at Best Buy I *don't* see it anymore.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Whither the Dexter Riley series of flicks? Ceasar Romero made a formidable baddie, didn't he? "Get those kids...!!"
Cheers!

DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks