What's new

The Noll Family Home Theater ready for viewing in the Gallery (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
All I can say is wow, and I hate you. Just kidding ;). Man that is really awesome man, congrats. I thought you had the whole thing hired out, but to know you did it your self is really amazing. Shows what one can really do if they take their time and focus their efforts. Outstanding theater! :emoji_thumbsup:

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Jean D,

I started the theater back in April 2004. The room was basement storage space that was heated. It was going to be an HO model railroad but having four kids it quickly filled with 'junk'. I split the space in half and built storage shelving on one side and 3 trash dumpsters later, I had room for my theater.

David

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Marcus & others,

Just to clarify, although I did most of the work myself, I definitely could not have done it without the local HT installers help. They did all of the non-electrical pre-wiring, component installation & set-up, and all of the trim work. Plus they had other installs in the area which were very helpful in my design. They are a two-person team that can go into a empty space and turn it into an area you could have only dreamed of.

On my end though, it was a lot of work, working a full-time job, helping my wife with the 4 kids, the youngest when the project started was only 3 yrs old and the oldest was 10 yrs old, but little by little the theater finally was completed. Sometimes I'm in the theater alone and I look around and cannot believe it myself. There is great pleasure in that and with all of the compliments from the forum members, well, I feel
GOOD !

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry

Isn't that just the best feeling? I wanted a home theater for 20 years, but never thought it would actually happen. All those long hours of sanding spackle, driving nails, painting and repainting, etc, were actually worth it.

Enjoy it, neighbor!

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Excellent work David! Bravo.
I think it's safe to say that most of us have had help along the way with out theatres. I had lots of help from friends with table saws :) to the local Home Depot on wood and stain suggestions. I think it's also very easy to say that we all relied on people here, in this forum, to offer advice and suggestions on everything from paint to what kind of finishing nails to use on trim work! I know in my project I got lots and lots of help from everyone here and feel great to part of such helpful community. When you put so much time and effort into a project that you love with no conditions, isn't it a great feeling to finally sit in your theatre and say to yourself, 'damn, I'm proud of this!'

Great work... a truly outstanding home theatre that your family will love for years to come.

Cheers,
Andrew Stoakley

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
I never did 'officially' acknowledge all the help I received from this wonderful community, so I big THANK YOU! goes out to the forum and members.

David

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
Mr. David Noll,

I was thoroughly floored, excited, amazed and most of all ENVIOUS of you and your family, after viewing your astounding home theater. I give you enormous praise for such an accomplishment. Your Home Theater in my book, is my ultimate goal in this expensive and obsession-saturated passion. If I enjoyed myself just looking at a PHOTO of it on my computer screen, I can only imagine the awe-inspiring images that you and your family get to see on a nightly basis. After viewing this, it really opened my eyes as to what individuals can accomplish when creating their perfect home theater environment. All along I thought it was just about getting the biggest screen, the clearest picture and the clearest, most robust sound. I had no idea that it was also about aesthetically-pleasing screen framework, customized wall construction, customized ceilings, projector casing, carpets, elevated row seating, lighting, and even the addition of an entire refreshment area right there in the room for your convenience. By my estimation, my path to this ultimate home theater goal is probably another 10 years away for me. Step one is getting a home that can accommodate the detail-intensive nature of this craft. Congratulation to you and your family. I am very happy for you. You have much to be proud of.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
Very Very Nice job, A+, just one question, where is the secret panel located so you can get to your projector?

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Travis,

The front panel of my hush box pulls-off, then the wood piece on the bottom slides out the front leaving the entire front and bottom of the projector exposed. The projector is mounted to the ceiling. Look at the picture of the hush box in my gallery. All of the stained wood trim except the 2 side pieces and rear piece of thin moulding, which are rails for the bottom panel to slide on, remove in seconds. The front piece of moulding is attached to the bottom panel and acts as a handle to pull-out the panel.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Amazing job!!! I am in the process of completing my HT and I only hope mine can be 1% as cool as yours. It looks like you have the perfect room for the HT and you can tell that a ton of work has been done to make it extra special. It must be a great feeling to be down there knowing what went into it and now you can finally enjoy it. I am going with a 96' screen myself and will be sitting about 12 ft from the screen. I will be sitting in the front though. I still am a little kid at heart. ;)

John

JayPo

Stunt Coordinator

Jack, glad to hear it! The weather up here isn't as bad as some, but it still sucks. Perfect for watching movies though.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick update:

I installed smoked mirrors on stage and step risers since my pictures were posted in the gallery. I'll try to get a current picture of these posted. Looks really cool.

Tonight I'm showing 'LADDER 49' and I'm inviting some of my fellow firefighters. Should be a wild night!

David

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
The Noll Family Home Theater was highlighted on a Northeast/Central Pennsylvania news magazine show on Saturday, April 26th. Local ABC affiliate WNEP-TV showed the theater on their Home & Backyard production. Futureview TV Services, whom I worked with during the construction of my theater, was featured for his work in the industry.

Here is a link to the segment (I'm not sure how long it will work):

Click on: "Home and Backyard 4/28/07 Part 2" In the "16 Featured Videos" list

http://www.wnep.com/Global/category....nav=menu158_16

Enjoy,

David

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Nicely done David! Like so many others I also am in the process of building my HT. Seeing your HT and many others in the gallery here at the forum has given me great inspiration for designs for my room.

I am new to the forum, but I can already see that I will be spending a lot of time here when I am not working on my HT. So far the walls are framed, AV rack near completion along with DVD storage. Seeing your theater gives me something to look forward to.

Again, Congratulations on the completion of your Home Theater.
LOOKS GREAT! Enjoy!
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

JJ Mallrich

selkec

Grip
Real Name
chris
Awesome awesome!!! I love your theater. I hope to turn a good chunk of my 1400 sq. ft basement into a theater thats like yours now. Ill probably even copy some of your ideas. ;) Anyway I was wondering how high your ceiling is and also how high are the risers? I have a 9ft basement ceiling and I would like to be able to get 3 rows like yours.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

My ceiling is also 9ft. Two risers: 2 x 8 plus 3/4 flooring gives about 8" plus carpet. The ceiling at the back of my theater is about 7 1/2 ft.

David

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Oh, how I would love to have a 9' ceiling in the basement!

Hmmm... Maybe I can talk my wife into letting me break out the basement floor and digging a foot deeper. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks