What's new

The Digital Love/Hate Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Same here, but for different reasons. I shoot wildlife shots in the evening. I need to keep a fairly fast shutter speed to freeze movement, which sometimes means increasing the ISO setting to 800 or 1600. An f/2.8 telephoto zoom with IS isn't in my budget (and quite often I would want more depth of focus than f2.8 would provide anyway).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Oh, don't get me wrong. I shoot in low light a lot too, rarely opting for flash, and frequently go to ISO 1600 on my Nikon's -- and I just bought a Fuji F20 p&s in large part for that reason -- but photos do not have to be completely grain-free to be good. And IMHO, there are other factors to consider besides the modest diff in noise performance that is usually only noticeable when you've got your nose pressed against a reasonable size print or staring intently at 100% crops on the monitor. Some of the matter-of-fact attitudes I see regarding this issue is just insane, IMHO, as if nothing else matters and that one should be derided for holding a differing opinion/perspective on this.

_Man_

Terri Chu

Grip
Real Name
Terri Chu
you are absolutely correct. I go ape crazy on high ISO only AFTER the optics, colour rendition, etc have been fulfilled properly. High ISO performance alone, just like MP count, means absolutely nothing in itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks