What's new

The Transition to Mirrorless (2 Viewers)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was actually thinking and gonna suggest that as well at first, but they do seem just diff enough. Tamron's 150-600 isn't an internal zoom (and grows much longer than that Nikon housing looks). Does Tamron actually make a 70-180 f/2.8 like that one?

Also, Tamrons (like Sigmas) seem to have a slightly different color bias than Nikon glass AFAIK, which may be noticeable enough if Nikon's just rebadging/recycling Tamron glass. I'm not sure Nikon wants (to have) anyone to think they're just rebadging 3rd party glass -- well, pretty sure they don't want that even if they're actually doing it...

Then again, this is all new territory for Nikon I guess, including seemingly playing catchup (whether real or just perceived) in this increasingly difficult market...

_Man_
The Nikkor Z 28-75 f/2.8 is almost certainly Tamron, and the new 17-28 f/2.8 seems to be as well. After more thought, I don’t think the 180-600 is though. I haven’t really looked at the new 70-180. The 180-600 has the programmable ring and button, which makes be suspect it’s a Nikon lens.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ok, I see Tamron does in fact have a 70-180 f/2.8 for Sony's E mount that looks very similar... and there's this 9-mo article I just found w/ a quick google (apparently just before that f/2.8 telezoom was announced?)...

Still, hard to see that newly announced 180-600 being a rebadged Tamron 150-600 or the like... unless Nikon somehow managed to work out a deal w/ Tamron to have 1st dibs on a Tamron design for that range for mirrorless mount (even before Tamron can release it for others on their own)...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ok, I see Tamron does in fact have a 70-180 f/2.8 for Sony's E mount that looks very similar... and there's this 9-mo article I just found w/ a quick google (apparently just before that f/2.8 telezoom was announced?)...

Still, hard to see that newly announced 180-600 being a rebadged Tamron 150-600 or the like... unless Nikon somehow managed to work out a deal w/ Tamron to have 1st dibs on a Tamron design for that range for mirrorless mount (even before Tamron can release it for others on their own)...

_Man_
Going from memory, the Tamron lens for Sony mirrorless in that range is a 150-500, so yeah, it's unlikely that's a Tamron. What made me suspect it at first is the lack of an OS switch, which Nikon almost always seems to have, and Tamron often doesn't. But then, the programmable ring and button I mentioned have always been exclusive Nikon features. So, I'm rather certain the 180-600 is not Tamron.

I've just found that I dislike needing to use an adapter for fundamental lenses. I can accept them for exotic things, but I'd much prefer to get to where they are an exception.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oops, I guess the Tamron branded lenses do have the programmable ring. Just not the button.

BTW, I have no problem with this. Nikon doesn't need to confirm what can be an open secret. This market is much smaller than it used to be, and if this arrangement provides more lenses, all the better.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
They also announced a (somewhat baffling) 70-180mm F/2.8, which is also quite reasonably priced (again, for Nikon) at an MSRP of $1,250. Still, I'd much rather see a 70-210mm f/4 for <$1,000.

That's a very good price for an (almost) 70-200 f/2.8 zoom. Canon's RF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS lens is $2,600, and their f/4 version is $1,500.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've just found that I dislike needing to use an adapter for fundamental lenses. I can accept them for exotic things, but I'd much prefer to get to where they are an exception.
That was my feeling, as well. I used the adapter for quite awhile as I was transitioning, but now I am down to just one EF mount lens -- a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro. Since I rarely shoot macro, I am fine just keeping this lens and the adapter instead of paying over a grand for the Canon RF 100mm macro.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Oops, I guess the Tamron branded lenses do have the programmable ring. Just not the button.

I don't know about other Tamron lenses, but the 150-600 G2 does have a VR/IS/OS/VC switch. Indeed, almost feels like too many switches, LOL -- it actually has 2 separate ones for VC (one for mode, the other on/off) on top of AF/MF and AF range selector, which are all next to each other (and rather too similar)... and I have to remember which one is which. :P

BTW, I have no problem with this. Nikon doesn't need to confirm what can be an open secret. This market is much smaller than it used to be, and if this arrangement provides more lenses, all the better.

Agreed.

That's a very good price for an (almost) 70-200 f/2.8 zoom. Canon's RF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS lens is $2,600, and their f/4 version is $1,500.

Other than the most obvious overlap of range and fixed max aperture, they aren't really the same kind of lenses though.

Nikon's own 70-200 f/2.8 VR is similarly expensive to the Canon one, which is why I just went w/ the much more affordable Sigma (albeit F-mount) Sport version myself ~3 years ago.

Maybe if/when Tamron/Sigma puts out something similar to those for mirrorless, probably not this (though the lighter weight/bulk would certainly be welcome), I might go for one then...

That was my feeling, as well. I used the adapter for quite awhile as I was transitioning, but now I am down to just one EF mount lens -- a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro. Since I rarely shoot macro, I am fine just keeping this lens and the adapter instead of paying over a grand for the Canon RF 100mm macro.

Yes, I'd certainly rather do that as well... though I've been dragging my feet a whole lot do so in part because I'm just too cheapskate I guess... :P plus I still haven't quite completely given up on my D800 just yet... :P

I need to go out and actually get back to shooting first though... and I guess no more excuses about the pandemic stopping me anymore, LOL...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know about other Tamron lenses, but the 150-600 G2 does have a VR/IS/OS/VC switch. Indeed, almost feels like too many switches, LOL -- it actually has 2 separate ones for VC (one for mode, the other on/off) on top of AF/MF and AF range selector, which are all next to each other (and rather too similar)... and I have to remember which one is which. :P

Agreed.

Other than the most obvious overlap of range and fixed max aperture, they aren't really the same kind of lenses though.

Nikon's own 70-200 f/2.8 VR is similarly expensive to the Canon one, which is why I just went w/ the much more affordable Sigma (albeit F-mount) Sport version myself ~3 years ago.

Maybe if/when Tamron/Sigma puts out something similar to those for mirrorless, probably not this (though the lighter weight/bulk would certainly be welcome), I might go for one then...

Yes, I'd certainly rather do that as well... though I've been dragging my feet a whole lot do so in part because I'm just too cheapskate I guess... :P plus I still haven't quite completely given up on my D800 just yet... :P

I need to go out and actually get back to shooting first though... and I guess no more excuses about the pandemic stopping me anymore, LOL...

_Man_
You might consider the Tamron Z Mount 70-300mm. It’s not f/2.8 but it’s very reasonably priced and quite compact.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, I said goodbye to my last Canon brand EF lenses today, as I sold my EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L IS II and EF 1.4x extender III. The proceeds are going towards a Canon R6 Mark II full frame mirrorless body -- placed the order with B&H this morning. The camera is on back order until approximately 7/3. Next step is to sell my Canon EOS R mirrorless full frame body.

This will be the first time in 16 years that there will be no Canon white lens in my kit. I am not sure if there will ever be another one, either. The RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L is more than I want to spend ($2,700), I don't have much need for a 70-200mm zoom anymore, and I don't shoot enough macro to justify upgrading from my Sigma 105mm EF-mount to the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8 macro at $1,100. Any other Canon "big white" would be way out of my budget.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My wife is awesome at selling stuff! Put my Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless up for sale yesterday on Facebook Marketplace, and it's sold. Now I am without a full frame body until the R6 Mark II comes off back order. Hopefully it will not be longer than the 7/3 estimate I was given. I want to get used to it before we head to Colorado in August. Probably will not have it for the July 4th parade in our hometown, though. Will have to use the R10 if we go.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Since my transition from dSLRs and EF mount lenses to mirrorless bodies and RF mount lenses is almost complete, I decided to take a look at what I bought and sold, and what it cost me to make this transition. I started from the point I purchased my first mirrorless body (Canon EOS M) way back in September 2014, although I didn't find mirrorless really useful until I upgraded to the M50 in May 2018. I still used primarily dSLRs with the M50 as a complementary system until purchasing the Canon EOS R in December 2019.

Over the above 9 year period, I bought 5 camera bodies and 11 lenses, while selling 5 camera bodies, 13 lenses and a few adapters and extenders. In total, I actually spent $635 less than the amount I received for all of that sold equipment! Even if you account for the ultra wide angle lens I still want for my R10 APS-C body, I should still be in the black by over $250.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since my transition from dSLRs and EF mount lenses to mirrorless bodies and RF mount lenses is almost complete, I decided to take a look at what I bought and sold, and what it cost me to make this transition. I started from the point I purchased my first mirrorless body (Canon EOS M) way back in September 2014, although I didn't find mirrorless really useful until I upgraded to the M50 in May 2018. I still used primarily dSLRs with the M50 as a complementary system until purchasing the Canon EOS R in December 2019.

Over the above 9 year period, I bought 5 camera bodies and 11 lenses, while selling 5 camera bodies, 13 lenses and a few adapters and extenders. In total, I actually spent $635 less that the amount I received for all of that sold equipment! Even if you account for the ultra wide angle lens I still want for my R10 APS-C body, I should still be in the black by over $250.
Yeah, I think I'll analyze my investment from the last several months as well.

NOT!

:eek:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yeah, I think I'll analyze my investment from the last several months as well.

NOT!

:eek:
If I hadn't sold off my old equipment, the "investment" in mirrorless would have been significant -- over $6,500 spent on bodies and lenses. Selling off the old equipment basically funded this entire transition at no cost. I ended up "downsizing" some of my lenses in the process, which accounts for some of the savings. For example: EF 50mm f/1.2L to RF 50mm f/1.8, EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L II to RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8, EF 16-35mm f/4 IS L to RF 16mm f/2.8.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, my Canon R6 Mark II arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, the dial directly behind the shutter button is defective, so the camera is on its way back to B&H. Looks like it will be another 1-1.5 weeks before I get a replacement. :(

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, my Canon R6 Mark II arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, the dial directly behind the shutter button is defective, so the camera is on its way back to B&H. Looks like it will be another 1-1.5 weeks before I get a replacement. :(
...hoping they have one to send you. My experience is B&H's customer service is excellent.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
...hoping they have one to send you. My experience is B&H's customer service is excellent.
The person I spoke with said they have some in stock. Hopefully they still do when they receive my return. I do agree regarding B&H's customer support. I 've only had positive experiences with them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My replacement Canon R6 M2 arrived yesterday. B&H did a great job turning this around -- they received the defective camera on Monday morning, shipped out a new camera the same day and credited my account within a few hours. They exceeded the expectations set by the customer service representative I spoke with last week. While this doesn't surprise me based on my past experiences with them, it's still nice to get such good service in this age when so many companies are lacking in this area.

Now I have to spend some time getting the new body configured. I will probably need to make some adjustments to the R10 body I bought a few months ago, too, in order to get the two bodies configured as similar as possible. They will have to be a little different, as the larger R6 M2 has more buttons and dials. That is one thing I liked about my two dSLR bodies (5D3 and 7D2) -- the button/dial layouts were identical, which made switching between bodies completely seamless. I could have achieved the same thing here had I opted for the larger, more expensive R7 instead of the R10 for my crop body. However, I then would not have a smaller, light weight travel kit body without buying a third camera.

Compromises, compromises.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Finally got to try my new Canon R6 M2 today with the RF 800mm lens.

Cropped slightly, shot at ISO 10K, animal detect eye focus:

0Y3A0088-X4.jpg

ISO 4K

0Y3A0081-X4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks