What's new

The 100 Greatest Film Characters of All Time (according to Premiere magazine) (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Travis Bickle seems low at 22.

Marge Gunderson is a pleasant surprise, as is The Dude.

And Atticus Finch, for me, belongs just behind Vito Corleone.

Jon

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Well, it is a list of characters, and they certainly are characters, so they are valid choices. But HAL should be on the list.

And forget Kevin McAllister - what the hell is Ace Ventura doing on the list.

Nice to see Marge on that list - and rather high up it as well. Marge is wonderful.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yep Darth Vader at no.84? What happened? One of the screens most famous bad guys (until he turned hero in chapter 6). 20 years ago he might have been in the top 5, now he's almost off the chart. Sad news.

I blame Episode's I & II for completely diluting the Dark Lord of the Sith by having him portrayed in his younger years by two underwhelming young actors.

Nice to see Ripley the Alien Slayer in the top 10 though.:)

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit

Thanks Erik. I completely missed that one. I was wondering who the hell Roger Kint was. Ah well, back to catatonic land.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
It's nice to see ol' R.P. McMurphy get the credit he deserves, but overall, Cuckoo's Nest got shafted here. Nurse Ratchett, Billy, Harding, Cheswick, Chief, and Martini are all better characters than Annie Hall, for crying out loud.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i agree with jacinto, the characters in cuckoo's nest got shafted. nice to see marge gunderson, but i would have preferred to see jerry lundegaard. totally motivated, pathetic character. brilliant acting btw. and where is HAL?
should have called him "six double five three two one"'

where is frank from donnie darko? no jake lamotta? nice to see ratso rizzo. no walter kurtz? scottie ferguson? pete venkman? charlie meadows from barton fink? marty mcfly? doc brown? MAX FISCHER? :) in the words of billy bibbit... "b-----boy."

CJ

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

Good call, Christ; however, I think there's plenty of room for both Marge Gunderson and Jerry.

Another nice surprise: Lloyd Dobler (Say Anything).

Another oversight: Angelo Maggio (Sinatra in From Here To Eternity).

And YO! Where's Tom Joad???

Jon

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I agree, if you're going to include the likes of ET, etc. and non-actors, then I can't see how "HAL" is not on the list, as probably one of the best villains ever to grace the screen ;)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
oh so do i, but i didnt give much credit to the writers of a list that includes ace ventura and dr evil :thumbsdown:

CJ

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
At no point in that list do I see Yoda mentioned.

The list is therefore meaningless to me.:D

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I was left wondering why only characters from American movies were represented. Are there no memorable characters from foreign films? How come King Kong made the list but not Godzilla?

It's a pretty strange list.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I'm glad to see that others reacted to the Annie Hall position as I did. But do you think that the creators of the poll honestly believed that Annie Hall is a top ten movie character?

Unfortunately the measure of a magazine poll differs by who measures it. For the magazine it is not about creating a great list but about creating a list that sells or promotes their magazine. That's why these polls are constantly peppered with the odd choice (or several). Publicity. A very old trick. Proof in the pudding is that we are discussing it now.

Rather than drone on about Annie Hall as a poor choice, here are some women roles/characters of merit.

Evelyn Mulwray - Chinatown
Blanche du Bois - A Streetcar Named Desire
Mrs Danvers - Rebecca (if the male equivalent (Norman Bates) can garner the 4th slot - Mrs. Danvers should (at least) merit a mention)
Ellen 'Ellie' Andrews a.k.a. Brat - It Happened One Night

I also concur with

Alex de Large - A Clockwork Orange

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
"90. John Malkovich"
OK, OK, although that wasn't his strongest character.

"40. The Terminator"
Which one? Arnie alone played three of 'em.

Cees

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I saw this in the bookstore today, and out of curiosity read the blurb they had on Annie Hall. I remain unconvinced, and needless to say did not waste any money buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks