What's new

The 100 Greatest Film Characters of All Time (according to Premiere magazine) (2 Viewers)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This list is so off the mark that it feels a waste of my two minutes to read and post that it is.

As others have stated, Vader is much more of an icon than 90% of the characters on that list, and I find it incredulous that anyone would give any merit to this list.

Maybe we should make our own HTF polled list!!!

Now that would be interesting!

:)

Mark

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
For those still interested, here's the summary of Annie Hall:

Hmmmmmm...I love Woody (though I don't care at all for Keaton), but placing Annie Hall above the likes of Charles Foster Kane, Atticus Finch, Travis Bickle, etc., etc. is a crime against cinema.

Jon

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
I would've thought at least John Rambo would get a mention on the list. It used to be the case that people would reference and quote "Who do you think you are? Rambo?" when describing macho/testosteronic behaviour.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I've got no problems with Annie Hall in the top ten.

Kevin McAlister, though - I didn't even know he was a character, I thought he was just a construct. Like the little silver ball in my old Moustrap game - you need him to make all the other things happen. If he's a great character, what do you call Cole Sear in The Sixth Sense? William Munny? Lt. John J. Dunbar? Lena Lamont? Sgt. Barnes? Quint? Hooper? Miss Celie? Gordon Gecko?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Where are Harmonica and Frank? The Man With No Name? Sherlock Holmes? Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Bugs Bunny? Henry V? Oskar Schindler?

It's difficult to choose, but oh, come on, I stop. This list is really not worth the time.

Cees

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
OK, Ive looked that list over twice.Maybe Im just tired and not seeing these:

Hal 9000
Col. Walter E. Kurtz
The Dude (Jeffrey Lebowski)
Ulysses Everet McGill
Roy Batty
James T Kirk
Vincent Vega
Rick Deckard
Mad Max
Staff Sgt. Bob Barnes
Mickey & Mallory Knox
Sailor Ripley
Christopher Reeves Superman (If anyone was born to play a part...)
William 'Bill' Munny (Perfectly played by Eastwood. This role has a depth to it when u unconsciously consider his Western filmography-at least the "Man With No Name" belongs there)

Wheres Godzilla? He certainly belongs there more than ET and probally King Kong. Hes the star of dozens of movies:D

Darth Vader at #84and Dr Strangelove at #75? Blasphemy!!!!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I cannot fathom Superman not being on the list. Someone at Premiere should be fired for that.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

This is truly unbelievable. To me, Darth Vader is one of the most truly unforgettable screen characters of all time. Vader commanded every scene he was in. It was so powerful that it was nearly hypnotic.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Is there anywhere online that lists all the corresponding movies? I know most of them but not all.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
My vote goes out for Jar jar Binks. No other character in the history of modern cinema has generated as much convsersation (or arguments) as this single, digital, character.

Or, i could be just talking out of my butt.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
I was hoping they'd put one in for the true nerds and list Ash from the Evil Dead series, he definitely deserves a spot at least near the bottom. Another mention should go to Kaiser Soze (however you spell it) from The Usual Suspects. Kaiser should at least beat Kevin mcCallister. But I'm just a college student.:frowning:

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Snake Plissken once again gets ROYALLY screwed, but come to think of it, Escape From New York really isn't "mainstream" enough for either Premiere or The AFI. (though the SE's pic quality looks far better than 98% of most DVDs.)

Other screwjobs:

Hans Gruber

Kyle Reese

Batman and/or Superman

Jim Morrison

Dr. Gonzo

Clarence Boddicker-once again, not "mainstream" enough...

Jason Voorhees

Ash-of course

At least ONE of the Blues Brothers...

and in one of the worst cases of a publication spitting in the faces of movie fans everywhere for all time:

Gunnery Sgt. Hartman

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
And while I'm at it, can someone explain how fucking DIL made this list?! Hartman and Snake get raped but they go out of their way to make a spot for Dil. Pathetic. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well folks, there are only 100 spots on the list. Not everyone's favorites are going to make a list that small that encompasses 100 years of filmmaking. You can argue that this one or that one should've made the list, but the odds that your tastes are going to align with the composite tastes of those creating the list are slim to none.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks