What's new

Surge protector? (1 Viewer)

1phatnav

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hi I am back with another question, I need a surge protector any input on what or what not to get. I have an Outlaw 990 preamp, an Outlaw 7125 Amp, a Mitsubishi 65 inch Diamond TV, and a Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD player, along with my satellite box and xbox and so forth. Didn't know if it matter what components I would be using the surge protector for so I figured I would list the. Thanks again everyone, all info is greatly appreciated.

MikeGee

Second Unit
Everything i've heard about Belkin has been good, I am going to be buying somthing from them not sure what yet tho.
Are you looking for a power conditioner as well?

1phatnav

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I am not sure , I heard that they don't make much of a difference from a lot of people so I don't know what way to go with that. What is your opinion on it? Thanks

MikeGee

Second Unit
Well honestly the idea does make sense. i know that the lines in my house are pretty dirty. I got what seems to be very crappy grounds throughout every room in the house, When i turn a light on/off in my HT room i hear a "clicking" sound in my speakers which to me seems to be interferance. I'd say better safe than sorry.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There are three different types of protections for your devices: surge protection, voltage regulation and uninterruptible power (UPS). Surge protectors are the most common and will protect your devices against sudden spikes (or surges) on the power line. Many surge protectors also have inputs for phone lines and RG6 coax from an antenna, satellite dish or cable provider. If the unit is robust enough, your equipment will then be protected from lightning strikes, although this is a lot to ask from the more inexpensive units.

Voltage regulators will boost or reduce voltage when the line voltage drops (or increases). Some units will only handle increases in voltage. The amount of boost or reduction is dependent on the unit (and on price)

UPS provide power for a limited period of time when power fails. How long depends on how much power your equipment uses and on the size of the unit’s battery. This is very valuable if you have even short power interruptions.

There are plenty of units that combine two or all three functions. These units come in a variety of sizes that handle different amounts of equipment and that have different numbers on power inputs. Both Belkin and APC make very good units over a range of features and prices.

I have three different combination units for my equipment: one for my computer equipment, one for my HT and one for my bedroom TV and miscellaneous electronic equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks