What's new

New Home Theater - Rough Wiring (1 Viewer)

hford713

Auditioning
Real Name
Harold Angel
HI,
I'm framing my basement for a new home theater. With the need for 4 plugs (TV, BluRay player, receiver, cd player), I'm wondering how I should rough wire it: Should I install a simple one gang outlet and count on a Monster-type surge protector - or do I install a two-gang and dedicate each plug to an outlet?
Harold (he's no electrician)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you're only running from a single circuit, there's really no need to have more than a single gang outlet, since it can then be split up however you want to as many components as you want. Since this is new wiring, and if you can, it's not a bad idea to run two circuits to two outlets. This allows you to split the power demands between two circuits, which can be helpful if you want to upgrade the power to your system later.

sarcasm_kills

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christopher
I think it depends on your long-term goals. Do you ever see yourself expanding your theater? Adding a projector? More equipment? Line conditioner? From what you have outlined so far, it is a minimalist setup (not that there is anything wrong with that), which means you would be fine with a single-gang box and some type of surge suppressor. You could install a two-gang box if you want, just to give some room for expansion at that spot. You can make a dedicated run for your theater, using a 20 amp breaker and 12-gauge wire, and you will never use enough wattage to trip a breaker with what you noted. In other words, it won't much matter if you install a one-gang or two-gang box, one way just gives you more options down the road.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Run whatever you are going to use for equipment as a separate circuit from the rest of the house. You might not want your washing machine or refrigerator on the same circuit as your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks