What's new

Suggestions for Home Theater Speakers Upgrade (1 Viewer)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Great, I'll tell you guys a week before I get this (in about 3 weeks)

Now you're getting annoying...

dubge

Agent
Real Name
Ray
Have you thought about checking your local want ads for stuff? You should be able to bet more bang for your buck that way.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
To buy speakers or a receiver? Which components you talkin' 'bout?

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Actually Bobby, if you do want to try your hand at building yourself, look at partsexpress.com. They have reasonable prices on parts, and even kits, to build your own. One downside to consider though is that if you don't like it when you are done, you can't return them like you could a manufactured speaker.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I want to learn how to make speakers. I'm currenly reading a bunch of articles I found online. And I'm also getting help from some of the people on this forum and my uncle. My first project will be the tower speakers I'm going to put as my fronts.

Parisis

Agent
Wow that was fun reading.
Bobby I was late reading this but Infinity 's Primus series is being blown out br Crutchfield. You can get a lot of speaker for your $500 bucks. No matter what you,ve read , small fronts are fine. Remember almost all the low end comes from your sub.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4h0dOuf...7900&I=700P140
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4h0dOuf...08PC25&g=12100
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4h0dOuf...12300&I=108PS8

Forget the wattage buddy. Your Receiver is fine for now.

Also I think Best buy has an Athena series I heard is pretty good.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Thanks for the suggestions, but I've already decided on the receiver, fronts, sub, center, and surrounds.

Receiver: Pioneer A/V Receiver (VSX-516-K)
Fronts: (DIY) Dayton 8 Towers
Subwoofer: (DIY) 15" Dayton DVC Series
Center: (DIY) Dayton III
Surrounds: (DIY) Dayton II's

So, I'm pretty much sold on them. Now, I just gotta get the tools and money...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
No no no no no no no no no...

Bobby is much more competent than whoever that was.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Nah, that guy was serious I think. I've run into a few like that before. They are typically engineering types and have such "tunnel vision" focused on stats, they really can't comprehend any subjective quality to anything. Everything is black or white and rigid stats are king.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i don't know. i don't think that other guy is quite sophisticated enough to create bobby. sorry bobby, don't mean to talk about you like you're a fictional character. but how do i know you're not a 48 year old lonely divorcee on the prowl for middle aged men?

i missed this thread the first time around. it explains a lot about bobby and his relationship with mr rice. i suppose one of the biggest lessons to be learned concerning this post is a rather big life lesson: it is natural to idolize our fathers and it is also natural to assume they know eveything. but sadly most of us reach that day when we come to know that daddy, sometimes, is full of it.

thomas, i enjoyed the salsa analogy, and i feel like i appreciate all kinds of salsa. even though i may like med-hot the best, if it's all i ever have it gets boring no matter how good it might be. to re-paraphrase chris rock, you gotta turn that old salsa into new salsa.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Hey! Where's Arthur S? With all due respect, this isn't a party without him. Won't he stay in touch with us?

Sorry, I'm a bad boy. Is this thread derailed far enough?!?!!

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
First I am Adammccl, and now I'm Artur C? What's next, Michael Jackson? :laugh:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
We're not going to give up 'till we get to the bottom of this! Remember the old game show, "What's My Line"? Will the real Bobby Geiser please stand up?(And show us your Daytons. After all, this is the speaker forum).

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I don't have them yet, after I get my computer put together, then I'll start buying parts for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks