What's new

STAR WARS ON BLU-RAY - FALL 2011 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I've read mostly good things about the picture and sound also (corrections) This is making me tempted to hit the pre-order button but I am very curious to know about The Phantom Menace. As most people are aware, the DVD had some atrocious edge enhancement present that Fox denied existed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

Holy cow! No more Emperor's slug! To me, that is - by far - the best example of a "once you see it, you can never stop staring at it" glitch.

Am glad that all signs seem to be pointing towards both improved picture and sound (as was pointed out a few posts back re: X-Wing fanfare music) compared to the DVDs. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Jeff Robertson

I've read mostly good things about the picture and sound also (corrections) This is making me tempted to hit the pre-order button but I am very curious to know about The Phantom Menace. As most people are aware, the DVD had some atrocious edge enhancement present that Fox denied existed.

Quote:

Looks at it like this, reviews, espeically on issues like EE will be out far before the set will so you can always hit "cancel" order if need be.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by johnSM

The lighting in that room very pink'ish / orange'ish color so some of that lighting on his face looks normal. At least, that's how I see it and it's not an issue

Until you compare that shot with how it looked originally on film, or on-set publicity shots. Leaving that shot aside, Vader's saber was never pink....[/QUOTE]

True, but with details like that, they don't bother me, it's not something that will keep me from buying these, or enjoying watching them. I'm not expecting these Blu's to be perfect, or the end all be all of reference disc's. That being said, they should be corrected to be as true to the original's as possible. But, as we all know, Lucas like to change stuff.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Very true, especially on this highly-anticipated release. [/url]

Looks at it like this, reviews, espeically on issues like EE will be out far before the set will so you can always hit "cancel" order if need be.
[/quote]

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I thought the sabres in ESB looked like that except for some very specific shots which havent been shown yet where the whole thing is pinkish red in the 2004 DVD Oh well, certainly not enough to stop me from buying it - I could live with it with the DVDs.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I'm afraid it bugs me, as it would be such a simple thing to remedy by Lucasfilm. How can they NOT get something as fundamental as getting Vader's saber the correct RED when colour correcting the film - this is the second muck-up too (2004 = pink / 2011 = purple?!). It was fine on the 1997 version of The 'Special' Edition... It smacks of shambolic quality control to me... And I must correct my statements from previous posts - the new colouring makes the saber look purple (not pink) now! Make up your own minds: Perhaps it's an intentional fix and all Jedi's lightsabers now have 'mood blades'? :P

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Mood sabers, hahahahahahah!

Yeah, that is quite a different shade when looked at side by side. But, what's done is done and it's too late to change it now. Lucas will just have to do a re-release in a few years, you know he will.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
What was that? The emperor's hood slug gone? Damn that interfering Lucas, he can't leave anything alone! Oh well I suppose I'll get used to it.

Is there an option to watch the film without the pace-destroying "Han Solo chats with CG'd Jabba" in New Hope and "Vader's shuttle flight and landing" at the end of Empire? I hope so.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
The Slug - visible here on the left side of the hood (complete with pinkish saber from 2004 just for good measure ;) ). I think it was there to cover up a mic, but somebody else might know for sure:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't see any "slug" in that picture, but the difference that I see between the two pictures is that the light sabres are white with colored edge haloes in the trailer, while in the old shot they are pink and green. I also see that the black shadow under the light sabre, on the right side of the emperor's cloak, in the old picture is now all green in the trailer.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The slug can be seen in the earlier DVD and VHS releases. An animation as already mentioned or maybe a photoshop if you will, to cover an anomaly in the makeup or a mic like John said, but I never heard that one before. Doesn't look like a slug it is a glowing objest on the sides of the face that is easier to see during the live movement of some scenes on the emperor.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
To those that can't see it you might need to lighten your monitor (it does vary in visibility between shots however). This should make it clearer: P.S. anyone think Palpy's makeup looks far better in Jedi than ROTS? Looks realistic - he really does look ancient. Looks very plastic-y (for want of a better term) in the prequel.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
johnSM said:
I'm afraid it bugs me, as it would be such a simple thing to remedy by Lucasfilm. How can they NOT get something as fundamental as getting Vader's saber the correct RED when colour correcting the film - this is the second muck-up too (2004 = pink / 2011 = purple?!). It was fine on the 1997 version of The 'Special' Edition... It smacks of shambolic quality control to me... And I must correct my statements from previous posts - the new colouring makes the saber look purple (not pink) now! Make up your own minds: Perhaps it's an intentional fix and all Jedi's lightsabers now have 'mood blades'? :P
Honestly, the screw up of Vader's pink/purple lightsaber bothers me more than most of the changes in the Special Editions. I mean, that just looks absolutely ridiculous! I don't know how people like Adywan and Harmy on the OT Forum can do perfect color correction with a home PC and yet a multi-billion dollar company like LFL can't get it right.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Beats me - it really does. With each release they fix a few more things, and bugger up a lot more in the process! Star Wars has become similar to certain software packages or operating systems in terms of needing regular updates and 'fixes'. So each time Lucas is actually foisting unfinished versions of Star Wars upon us... If Lucas was the genius film director that he's often made out to be, then how can he not FIX the films once and for all, especially with the resources to hand at ILM and - of course - all the money at his disposal?! As you rightly say people with home PCs can/have fixed these problems!!! He had his chance in 1997 to fix what he perceived to be the problems with the original films. Obviously they weren't actually fixed properly, as he did it again 2004. And yet again with this bluray in 2011. And there's still problems evidently... It's ludicrous! His attitude seems to be, "ahh we'll fix that problem with the next release! No need to worry about it now - the fans will buy it anyway!". Do they have any quality control at Lucasfilm these days??! Does nobody there have the guts to say, "erm excuse me Mr Lucas Sir, wasn't Vader's saber meant to be RED originally?!". Arghh I'm through with it all - I'll stick with my 'bonus dvd' low-res, (mostly) original, non-anamorphic versions of the films. At least for all their circa-1993 transfer flaws they still look like films and not cartoons. They represent Star Wars before all the madness started.....

Have you ever heard of the Despecialized Editions, created by Harmy, who has posted in this thread? Definitely preferable to the 2006 DVDs!

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Darn you BLURAY Why oh why must you look soooo good... So i take it this is now "The emperor has no slug "edition ? Apart from the mood blades,look how sparkly shiny Vader looks. I think my head is talking to my heart,but my heart is going lalalalala very loudly. Since bluray is the first format i make a collection of,then...a buy it is. It's somewhat good.Not great. Just good. Shut up heart.

Jim_E

Stunt Coordinator
I was at Empire Magazine's 'Big Screen' event here in London yesterday and we got to see some bits and pieces from the special features discs from Episodes 1-3, and 4-6. The presentation was from Anthony Daniels, and a couple of guys from ILM (whose names I didn't catch as Daniels somewhat fumbled the intro). They confirmed more work was done by ILM for this edition, but didn't go into specifics. We only saw footage from the blu-ray trailer, so can't speak to the quality any more than what's already been seen, although I did notice the pink lightsaber... The special features discs work by selecting the episode you're interested in from the menu, and then the environment you're interested in, i.e. Naboo, Tattooine etc. They you can select an overview, deleted scenes and what appears to be a hugely extensive look at the archives. We were told that a large revolving tabletop was brought in and the models and costumes were photgraphed on it. You could select a host of different views, and close ups. Each model also appeared to have a commentary for it. I think those interested in the model and costume side of things are going to really enjoy this set. Looks like there's some depth to the features, and that they did more than just re-use old promo material as I was expecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks