What's new

STAR WARS ON BLU-RAY - FALL 2011 (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
SPOILERS BELOW FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ ALL THE BRIAN DALEY HAN SOLO BOOKS AND ARE STILL PLANNING ON READING THEM SOMEDAY:

Okay, Yancy, you do realize that the sunglasses are appropriate.

Since Gallandro was VAPORIZED by the vault security system because he didn't act like a prudent Ruurian. (That will sound quite geeky for those who have not read Han Solo & The Lost Legacy)

On the other hand, he was a snappy dresser, and he put the fear of Chewbacca into Han after the way Han treated him in the prior book.

And now back to your regular scheduled debate about the quality of the upcoming Blu-ray set...

gallandro

Agent
Real Name
Yancy
Kevin EK said:
SPOILERS BELOW FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ ALL THE BRIAN DALEY HAN SOLO BOOKS AND ARE STILL PLANNING ON READING THEM SOMEDAY:

Okay, Yancy, you do realize that the sunglasses are appropriate.

Since Gallandro was VAPORIZED by the vault security system because he didn't act like a prudent Ruurian. (That will sound quite geeky for those who have not read Han Solo & The Lost Legacy)

On the other hand, he was a snappy dresser, and he put the fear of Chewbacca into Han after the way Han treated him in the prior book.

And now back to your regular scheduled debate about the quality of the upcoming Blu-ray set...
Ahhhhh yes those early days of fandom when we had no idea what the heck an EU was. Back when the only Star Wars fix you could get was reading Marvel's monthly Star Wars comic, "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" or the Brian Daley Han Solo novels. You could always get your daily fix reading the daily newpaper strips by Archie Manning, or listening to your LP of "The Story of Star Wars" again, and agin. Then the internets ruined it all... Yancy

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
For quite a while, "The Story of Star Wars" was the only place you could hear C3PO's complete line about the oower terminals of the tractor beam. All the home video versions I had of the movie, including the "original theatrical edition" on the 2006 DVD, cut off the line so that you only hear the last part of "A power loss at one of the terminals will allow the ship to leave."

One thing I appreciated about the 1997 Special Edition was that they put the full line back in.

I believe "The Story of Star Wars" was also the only place for a long time where you could hear an ill-fated stormtrooper yell "Close the Blast Doors!" before he gets shot and another trooper yells "Open the Blast Doors! Open the Blast Doors!" This too was fixed in the 1997 Special Edition.

gallandro

Agent
Real Name
Yancy
Kevin EK said:
For quite a while, "The Story of Star Wars" was the only place you could hear C3PO's complete line about the oower terminals of the tractor beam. All the home video versions I had of the movie, including the "original theatrical edition" on the 2006 DVD, cut off the line so that you only hear the last part of "A power loss at one of the terminals will allow the ship to leave."

One thing I appreciated about the 1997 Special Edition was that they put the full line back in.

I believe "The Story of Star Wars" was also the only place for a long time where you could hear an ill-fated stormtrooper yell "Close the Blast Doors!" before he gets shot and another trooper yells "Open the Blast Doors! Open the Blast Doors!" This too was fixed in the 1997 Special Edition.
You are correct sir! There were also alternate takes of lines. I think The Story of Star Wars came from the Mono mix of the film. Yancy

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
gallandro said:
You are correct sir! There were also alternate takes of lines. I think The Story of Star Wars came from the Mono mix of the film. Yancy
C-3PO's full line about the tractor beam was also included in the 1985 home video mix (which was used on all the releases from 1985 through 1992) and then left out again in the 1993 THX laserdiscs (and consequently, the 1995 VHS and 2006 DVD releases). Good grief; this is ridiculous :)

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Jeff Robertson said:
Easy come, easy go? Looks like it is up to $88 now.
Yeah, sorta kicking myself for not snagging it earlier today. Instead I waited to see if Amazon would price match. Oh well, c'est la vie. :crazy:

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I'm curious if some of those alternate lines will be included in the deleted footage section. They should put Han shooting first in with the rest of the deleted scenes. :D

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
Hey I only just noticed a new picture of the Saga set on the Australian retailer JB Hifi. Now that packaging looks awesome!!! Better than the US version in my opinion! I hate having to get the discs out from some flimsy thing, and this looks much sturdier (like what Australians got for the Alien Anthology). http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/sci-fi-fantasy/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray/632224

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
You guys know the funniest thing ever about the whole Han shoots first debate ? The one person in this world who couldn't care less about all this is...Greedo herself. The character was played by a woman here in Montreal,her name is Maria de Aragon,i met her here a couple of months ago at a convention. She's a very nice lady,pretty and well-spoken,but i'm pretty sure she hasn't a care in the world for all this. And of course,i'm on the Han shoots first side. Hell,i think Han should've shot the whole place when walking out of the cantina,although on his return at the end Luke would've probably said " Oh great,here comes the serial killer " which would kind of lessen and tarnish the impact of the ending a lot.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Alessandro said:
Youtube Episode 5 Blu footage from germany :
Looks good - and the sabers actually (gasp!) look correctly coloured in this footage (compared to the clips from last week - some cock-up when putting them online perhaps as opposed to a badly coloured transfer?). Nice! Let's hope the entire saga looks that good then! (the clips from Hoth via the same German source look much better balanced that the 2004 DVDs too...)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
montrealfilmguy said:
You guys know the funniest thing ever about the whole Han shoots first debate ? The one person in this world who couldn't care less about all this is...Greedo herself. The character was played by a woman here in Montreal,her name is Maria de Aragon,i met her here a couple of months ago at a convention. She's a very nice lady,pretty and well-spoken,but i'm pretty sure she hasn't a care in the world for all this. And of course,i'm on the Han shoots first side. Hell,i think Han should've shot the whole place when walking out of the cantina,although on his return at the end Luke would've probably said " Oh great,here comes the serial killer " which would kind of lessen and tarnish the impact of the ending a lot.
She only played Greedo in the insert shots Lucas did back in the U.S. though. What does Paul Blake, who played Greedo on the set in England think? ;) This is one of my favorite behind the scenes photos from the movie...

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
She had that one for signing at the convention ,but i got the shot where she's face to face with Lucas but has removed only her Greedo head. Thanks for the info about Paul Blake.After 30 years you would think you know pretty much everything about the film that started your life.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
The guys over at theforce.net have a list of the deleted scenes: Trash Talking Droids The Battle Is Over Anakin's Return Battle On The Boarding Ramp Extended Podrace Wager Bail Organa of Alderaan Extended Speeder Chase The Lost Twenty Anakin's Nightmares Anakin and Ruwee Raid On The Droid Control Ship and Extended Arena Fight Elevator Antics Escape The Hangar Changes To The Constitution Utapau Chase Animatics Mustafar Duel Animatics Mustafar Duel Lava River Animatics Kashyyyk Attack and Order 66 Animatic Anakin kills Shaak Ti Jedi Imposters at the Temple Senate Duel Anamatic Yoda Communes with Qui-Gon Tosche Station Old Woman on Tatooine Aunt Beru's Blue Milk The Search for R2-D2 Cantina Rough Cut Stormtrooper Search Darth Vader Widens the Search Alternate Biggs and Luke Reunion Han and Leia: Extended Echo Base Argument Luke's Recovery Luke and Leia: Medical Center Deleted Wampa Scenes The Fate of General Veers Yoda's Test Hiding in the Asteroid Alternate Han and Leia Kiss Lobot's Capture Leia Tends to Luke Vader's Arrival and Reaching Out to Luke Tatooine Sandstorm Rebel Raid on the Bunker Jerjerrod's Conflict Battle of Endor: The Lost Rebels

Haden

Supporting Actor
That list seems almost too good to be true. It includes some cut scenes that we didn't even think were filmed and were supposedly cut during pre-production/storyboard phases, such as Veers' death in ESB. Wow... I really hope that list isn't a hoax, because it's a Star Wars cut scenes fanatic's dream come true! T'Bone is going to flip! :) Interesting that it may include the alternate Bail Organa from TPM. Very curious to finally see Adrian Dunbar's portrayal. What's even more interesting is the Luke/Leia medical center scene in ESB since it contained a much more passionate kiss between the two (briefly glimpsed in one of the ESB theatrical trailers). I'm surprised Lucas would let that one get included on the set, given the awkward incestuous implications. Wow... there's so many scenes here I never thought i'd get to see, like the extended Dagobah training, the Wampa raw footage, Anakin killing Shaak Ti in the Jedi Temple, etc. It looks like that list adds up to 46 total scenes, which is pretty close to the 45 Digital Bits reported a few weeks ago. However, does this mean we won't get the 21 deleted scenes from the prequel DVDs ported over to this set to go with all these new ones? Or do we have to keep the old DVDs just for those scenes? I'm already resigned to keeping the OT DVD set for the Empire of Dreams doc, so I guess we'll be stuck with the prequel DVDs too for everything else that isn't getting ported over. :(

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Haden, This was posted on blu-ray.com in the Star Wars thread and was confirmed to be from spec sheet, listing all the special features. That deleted scenes list from theforce.net is the same as this: Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post SPECIAL FEATURES DISCS - BREAKDOWN! Episode I • Archive Fly-Through • Naboo •Interviews Naboo Overview / Liam Neeson Interview •Deleted/Extended Scenes Trash-Talking Droids / The Battle Is Over / Anakin’s Return •The Collection 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery • Tatooine •Interview Tatooine Overview / Rick McCallum Interview(Podracers) / Rick McCallum Interview(Filming in Tunisia) •Deleted/Extended Scenes: Battle on the Boarding Ramp / Extended Podrace Wager •The Collection 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Coruscant: •Interviews: Coruscant Overview / George Lucas on Preparing to Write Episode I – 1994 •Deleted/Extended Scene: Bail Organa of Alderaan •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: Episode II • Coruscant: •Interviews: Coruscant Overview / Ewan McGregor Interview •Deleted/Extended Scenes: Extended Speeder Chase / The Lost Twenty •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Naboo: •Naboo Overview: •Deleted/Extended Scenes: Anakin’s Nightmares / Anakin and Ruwee •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Tatooine •Tatooine Overview: •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Geonosis: •Interviews: Geonosis Overview / Hayden Christensen Interview / Blue Screen Acting •Deleted/Extended Scene: Raid on the Droid Control Ship and Extended Arena Fight •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: Episode 3 • Coruscant: •Interviews: Coruscant Overview / Samuel L. Jackson Interview •Deleted/Extended Scenes Elevator Antics / Escape Through the Hangar / Changes to the Constitution •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Utapau: •Utapau Overview: •Deleted/Extended Scene: Utapau Chase Animatics •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Mustafar: •Interviews: Mustafar Overview / Natalie Portman Interview •Deleted/Extended Scene: Mustafar Duel Animatics / Mustafar Duel/Lava River Animatics •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Kashyyyk and Order 66: •Kashyyyk and Order 66 Overview: •Deleted/Extended Scene: Kashyyyk Attack and Order 66 Animatic / Anakin Kills Shaak Ti / Jedi Imposters at the Temple / Senate Duel Animatic / Yoda Communes with Qui-Gon •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: SPECIAL FEATURES Episode 4 • Archive Fly-Through: • Tatooine: •Interviews: Tatooine Overview / Mark Hamil Interview / Anthony Daniels Interview •Deleted/Extended Scenes: » Tosche Station / Old Woman on Tatooine / Aunt Beru’s Blue Milk / The Search for R2-D2 / Cantina Rough Cut / Stormtrooper Search •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Aboard the Death Star: •Interviews: Aboard the Death Star Overview / Carrie Fisher Interview •Deleted/Extended Scene: Darth Vader Widens the Search •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • The Battle of Yavin: •The Battle of Yavin Overview: •Deleted/Extended Scene: Alternate Biggs and Luke Reunion •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: Episode 5´ • Hoth: •Interviews: Hoth Overview / George Lucas on Editing The Empire Strikes Back – 1979 / Irvin Kershner Interview •Deleted/Extended Scenes: Han and Leia: Extended Echo Base Argument / Luke’s Recovery / Luke and Leia: Medical Center / Deleted Wampa Scenes / The Fate of General Veers •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Dagobah: •Interviews: Dagobah Overview / George Lucas on the Force - 2010 •Deleted/Extended Scene: Yoda’s Test •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Pursued by the Imperial Fleet: •Pursued by the Imperial Fleet Overview: •Deleted/Extended Scenes: Hiding in the Asteroid / Alternate Han and Leia Kiss •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Cloud City: •Cloud City Overview: •Deleted/Extended Scenes: Lobot’s Capture / Leia Tends to Luke •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: Episode 6 • Tatooine: •Tatooine Overview: •Deleted/Extended Scenes: Vader’s Arrival and Reaching Out to Luke / Tatooine Sandstorm •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Endor: •Interviews: Endor Overview / Harrison Ford Interview •Deleted/Extended Scene: Rebel Raid on the Bunker •The Collection: 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery: • Death Star Space Battle: •Death Star Space Battle Overview •Deleted/Extended Scenes Jerjerrod’s Conflict / Battle of Endor: The Lost Rebels •The Collection 360°Turnaronds / Video Commentaries •Concept Art Gallery • Documentaries: •The Making of Star Wars: (SD 49 minutes) •The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX: (SD 48 minutes) •Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi: (SD 48 minutes) •Anatomy of a Dewback: (SD 26 minutes) •Star Warriors: ( SD 84 minutes) •Star Wars Tech: (HD, 46 minutes) •A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (HD, 25 minutes) • Star Wars SpoofsHD, 91 minutes) What's become more apparent now is that this box set seems to be a companion piece to the existing DVDs, hence exclusion of the previous special features. We're not meant to get rid of the the DVDs if you want the total package of supplement material for the Star Wars Saga. And honestly, I think it's fine. I'm glad we're getting all new stuff (for some people). Also, here's the breakdown, in terms of minutes, of the special features discs: Star Wars BD: D7 - The Collection (Episode 1) - [35:30] Star Wars BD: D7 - The Collection (Episode 2) - [35:15] Star Wars BD: D7 - The Collection (Episode 3) - [32:20] Star Wars BD: D7 - Interviews - [69:14] Star Wars BD: D7 - Boba Fett: First Look - [08:39] Star Wars BD: D7 - Extended Scenes Ep 1-3 - [46:10] 227:08 [3 hours, 47 min.] Star Wars BD: D8 - Extended Scenes Ep 4-6 (Part 1) - [27:48] Star Wars BD: D8 - Extended Scenes Ep 4-6 (Part 2) - [19:33] Star Wars BD: D8 - Interviews - [63:27] Star Wars BD: D8 - The Collection (Episode IV) - [21:58] Star Wars BD: D8 - The Collection (Episode V) - [21:54] Star Wars BD: D8 - The Collection (Episode VI) - [16:55] 171:35 [2 hours, 52 min.] Star Wars BD: D9 - The Making Of Star Wars... As Told By C-3PO and R2-D2 - [48:59] Star Wars BD: D9 - SPFX: The Making Of The Empire Strikes Back - [48:10] Star Wars BD: D9 - TESB: A Conversation With The Masters Documentary - [25:04] Star Wars BD: D9 - Classic Creatures - [48:05] Star Wars BD: D9 - Star Wars Tech - [43:42] Star Wars BD: D9 - Anatomy Of A Dewback - [26:13] Star Wars BD: D9 - Star Warriors - [83:59] Star Wars BD: D9 - Star Wars Spoofs - [96:55] 421:07 [7 hours, 1 min.]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks