What's new

STAR WARS ON BLU-RAY - FALL 2011 (2 Viewers)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
TravisR said:
^ Just like the Wampa scene, it looks like they bit off more than they could chew (in terms of convincingly using puppets and costumes) and that's why they were dropped.
Muppets and other Henson creatures of the era had no problem throwing objects into the air. The scene could have just as easily been cut for time or pacing. Hopefully, we'll get to see the footage either way. If Luke vs. remotes was filmed, I haven't seen any stills that suggest it yet. The old "pay to view" hyperspace section of the official site seems to be gone, and fan sites only seem to retain a fraction of the exclusive photos that were shown.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Regarding classification in Australia -- sometimes you read on the backs of dvds or blurays released in the US "Special Features Not Rated', which includes documentaries and audio commentaries -- in Australia, when anything is reissued, it goes back through the classification board and everything is looked at, including new special features and commentary tracks -- often some movies have 'special edition' treatment and their rating classification changes from one release to another. For example Australia is probably the only place on Earth where "The Ten Commandments" has a PG rating with a line 'low level coarse language' with it. People scratch their head and wonder 'where's THAT language in this picture?'. It isn't -- someone says 'shit' a couple of times in the audio commentary, hence the PG rating. It would have been rated M (Mature Audiences) if the direct quotation from one of the extras who worked on the movie, asking what they had to do and who to, to get off the movie, had been used. Also the movie version of "McHale's Navy" is now rated PG for 'low level violence, adult themes' and has been G everywhere else for nearly 50 years. So the censors are pretty tough down here. As at least two of the "Star Wars" prequels got M ratings, this new boxset will probably go with an M rating as well.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Hey look - a 'sneak peek' at some of the bonus material. A nice look at the models/model makers of Star Wars... followed by clips featuring CGI ships (slaps forehead!!!). Oh boy........ (is Lucas pretending these were always the original shots now?). Looks like we're stuck with the pink engines too (which I assume also doesn't bode well for Vader's lightsaber colours being fixed either): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbSp7L9nnps&feature=youtu.be

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
johnSM said:
(which I assume also doesn't bode well for Vader's lightsaber colours being fixed either)
I certainly wouldn't take this as official word but the other day at TheForce.net, they said
In additional SW on BD news, our friend Kenny K. got the following information from a Lucasfilm e-mail: "Industrial Light and Magic did go in and make many technicalimprovements, most notably color matching on select lightsabers shots."
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/SW_On_BluRay_At_UK_Big_Screen_Event_139930.asp

Coressel

Supporting Actor
In that clip, it sounds to me as though the "X-Wing Fanfare" is a bit more pronounced than it was on the DVD.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Coressel said:
In that clip, it sounds to me as though the "X-Wing Fanfare" is a bit more pronounced than it was on the DVD.
It certainly sounds that way. Here's hoping that is indeed the case.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
New trailer in Yahoo seems to suggest the colour issues seems to have been fixed especially with the sabres. Looking forward to this set a lot. Sold my DVD copies ages ago!

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
It's exactly a month until the UK release date - I'm hoping we'll start to see some screen caps leaking soon and more information on the deleted scenes, (hopefully) fixed 2004 flaws and any other changes (I'd be absolutely amazed if nothing has been tinkered with since 2004).

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Well it looks as if the Emperor's famous 'slug' on his hood has finally been fixed - kudos to Lucasfilm for that! However on the flip-side... how hard is it for ILM to make a red lightsaber... red?!!.................. http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article/234525/star-wars-the-complete-sagaexclusive-trailer.html Darth Vader with a pink lightsaber still..... gimme the old version any day of the week where Vader's saber looked blood red and threatening...... Fingers crossed it's a product of the video compression or something to do with the Yahoo sites video setup, but somehow I think this is how the final product looks...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
johnSM said:
It's exactly a month until the UK release date - I'm hoping we'll start to see some screen caps leaking soon and more information on the deleted scenes, (hopefully) fixed 2004 flaws and any other changes (I'd be absolutely amazed if nothing has been tinkered with since 2004).
My guess is that review copies won't go out until the end of August or early September.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by johnSM

Well it looks as if the Emperor's famous 'slug' on his hood has finally been fixed - kudos to Lucasfilm for that!

Holy cow! No more Emperor's slug! To me, that is - by far - the best example of a "once you see it, you can never stop staring at it" glitch.

Am glad that all signs seem to be pointing towards both improved picture and sound (as was pointed out a few posts back re: X-Wing fanfare music) compared to the DVDs. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Alessandro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
The Review copies have already been sent out and, reviews should start coming in. this has been posted on avsforum.com by someone.

Alessandro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Watch the beginning of the trailer when Luke takes the elevator up to the platform look at his face- his face is saturated in pink.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Alessandro said:
Watch the beginning of the trailer when Luke takes the elevator up to the platform look at his face- his face is saturated in pink.
Yeah I couldn't help noticing that - looks terrible! I very much hope that isn't representative of the 'new' HD transfer. How hard is it for a company like Lucasfilm to get the colour balance correct on these prestige titles?! Vaders saber has always been RED, not pink... The scene from Empire where Vader is threateningly pointing the lightsaber in Luke's face looks awful in terms of the colour... :rolleyes: Let's hope the actual blurays are better balanced (still keeping them crossed!).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

Holy cow! No more Emperor's slug! To me, that is - by far - the best example of a "once you see it, you can never stop staring at it" glitch.

You mean what I've always referred to as "the magic marker effect" is gone? Wow.

Those sabers in the trailer look pretty pink to me.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Alessandro

The lighting in that room very pink'ish / orange'ish color so some of that lighting on his face looks normal. At least, that's how I see it and it's not an issue.

From watching those HD trailers for the set I am pumped. The PQ looks to be fantastic and hopefully the SQ as well, either way, I get the chills watching them. Brings back many memories, all the way back to standing in line, opening day 1977 at the BIG Newport theater at Fashion Island.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Ron-P said:

The lighting in that room very pink'ish / orange'ish color so some of that lighting on his face looks normal. At least, that's how I see it and it's not an issue
Until you compare that shot with how it looked originally on film, or on-set publicity shots. Leaving that shot aside, Vader's saber was never pink....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks