What's new

Star Trek sequel scheduled for May 17, 2013 Release (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
JJ Abrams has recently answered the question if he'd direct the next Star Wars film. He turned it down because he said he felt a certain loyaly to Star Trek. That was worth a point to me in his favor. Yet he went on to say he is such a huge Star Wars fan as it was part of his youth, that he wants to be a audience member and see it unfold without being involved in the day to day minutiae of being a part of making the films. Not sure if that took the point away.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Nelson Au said:
JJ Abrams has recently answered the question if he'd direct the next Star Wars film. He turned it down because he said he felt a certain loyaly to Star Trek. That was worth a point to me in his favor. Yet he went on to say he is such a huge Star Wars fan as it was part of his youth, that he wants to be a audience member and see it unfold without being involved in the day to day minutiae of being a part of making the films. Not sure if that took the point away.
Doens't bother me any. I'm a big Star Wars fan too, but it never interfered with my love of Star Trek.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
This whole thread sets me in mind of a opinion piece written about many of Star Trek's so-called 'fans':
Ok, so before I get a ton of annoying comments from offended fans, let's clarify some things. This stamp is not directed at all fans. It is directed at the hardcore rabid fanatics who feel the need to bash everyone who doesn't like the same exact shows/movies they do. Below is a better explanation. Every time I look up a video on Youtube about anything related to the new Star Trek movie, there never seems to be any shortage of hardcore fantards bitching and moaning about how JJ Abrams's new movie killed the Star Trek franchise. Well, if you're one of those people, let me put things into perspective for you. The studio is trying to make a profit. It's kinda hard to do that though if all they do is pander to the fanbase of a dying franchise. When they do that it alienates the general public and they lose money big time. For instants, if you've never seen the TOS episode called "Space Seed" then you probably aren't going to have a clue what is going on in "Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan". If you've never seen the TNG episode called "The Best of Both Worlds" then you might be confused as to what is going on in "Star Trek: First Contact". Now, maybe those two movies were not good examples to use since both were successful and both are considered to be some of the better Trek films, but just look at some of the other films that tried to pander only to the establish fanbase, like the incredibly slow and boring "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". The target audience of most of the Star Trek movies has always been long time fans who are familiar with the series. Someone who has never seen any of the shows is not going to have a clue what is going on. With the new movie, you don't have to have watched a single episode to understand what is going on. If anything, the new movie saved the franchise by drawing in lots of new fans. As for the reason they did a reboot, think about this. One of the reasons Enterprise suffered was because the writers had to backcheck +40 years of continuity to avoid canon conflicts. Even still, they weren't always successful. It was a massive hassle. By making a reboot, they essentially wiped the slate clean and opened the door for all new stories. A common thing I see fans complaining about is that the new movie destroyed the old continuity. Actually, the new film is set in a alternate reality. According to Star Trek Online, the Prime Universe still exists alongside the new universe. They even stated within the movie itself that it takes place in an alternate timeline. Alternate realities are nothing new for Star Trek and I don't get why it is so hard for fans to just accept that. So how did butthurt Trekkies ruin Star Trek, you might be asking? Here, let me explain it. See, I don't know what it is about this particular fandom but from my personal experiences, Trekkies are the most overzealous, self-rightous bunch of pricks I've ever encountered on the internet. I know I've devoted a lot of time to bashing wolfaboos and Twitards but those are just dumbass teenagers and will eventually outgrow their immaturity. Trekkies though, are usually full grown adults behaving like 5 year olds. They fight among themselves and chase off new fans, thus pushing the franchise deeper into the hole. Here are some specific examples: I mentioned on a Youtube video that I like Enterprise and suddenly five assholes jumped all over me making all manner of personal attacks and telling me that "true Star Trek fans don't watch Enterprise". A much more common example is when I look up anything relating to the new movie, I always see assholes bashing and making personal attacks against anyone who has anything positive to say about the JJ Abrams movie. I also see the hardcore fan beating on the casual fans. A guy comes on and comments that he likes Star Wars and Star Trek and the next thing you know he gets flooded with crap like "Yeah well you suck cuz true Star Trek fans hate Star Wars!" I was looking at a Star Trek forum. I was considering joining until I saw something along the lines of this: New member: Hi, I saw the new movie and decided join cuz I'm interested in Star Trek now. Other members: The new movie is shit and if you like it you're an idiot GTFO n00b! I've also seen fans of Voyager getting bashed by fans who think Voyager sucks. And as I ready stated, I've personally been bashed for liking Enterprise. Excuse me? Since when did the Star Trek fandom become an exclusive club? Since when does somebody need the approval of other fans to join? And who the fuck do you think you are telling me what "true fans" do and don't do? When the hardcore fans bash one another and chase away any new fans who come along, it's no wonder the fandom is in the shitter. Furthermore, when you people raise Hell and piss and moan every time a new Star Trek show or film comes out, it sends a message to the people making the stuff that you don't appreciate anything they do. I'm seeing a pattern here. People bitched and moaned about Insurrection. People bitched and moaned about Nemesis. People bitched and moaned about Voyager. People bitched and moaned about Enterprise. I get the feeling that the producers finally got fed up and said "Fuck it! We're not doing anymore Star Trek stuff." So yeah, I blame obnoxious fantards for ruining the Star Trek franchise, not JJ Abrams, who in all likelyhood saved it from the downward spiral it has been in for the past decade. I should also add that this "I'm better than you cuz I like (insert Star Trek show or movie here)" attitude is contradictory to the message of tolerance and understand that Star Trek promotes.
Obnoxious Trekkies People, please try and remember that there's only ONE more movie left (and no new TV shows for the foreseeable future under current CBS CEO Leslie Moonves); so, let's just enjoy what we've got for as long as well all can do so.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Sky Captain
People, please try and remember that there's only ONE more movie left (and no new TV shows for the foreseeable future under current CBS CEO Leslie Moonves); so, let's just enjoy what we've got for as long as well all can do so.
I think the first part is going to prove to be incorrect. Pine, Quinto and crew may only be contracted for one more movie, but if Into Darkness and #3 are successful, there's no reason more can't come after that. Whatever these actors do in the future, Trek will be what they're most known for.
Another thought: ABC is developing Marvel properties for TV (SHIELD, Hulk) and keeping Marvel in the movies and in animated form. Why can't Trek do the same exact thing? Audiences have to prove there's a want for more material before anything is going to be commissioned. Avengers did that for Marvel. Into Darkness can do that for Trek.
But the article is right: we are forgetting about tolerance and understanding and having a big enough tent for everyone. Agree to disagree and move on.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I saw something that scared me in an original trek episode as a kid and didn't watch it after that. I did watch and enjoy the movies casually. Then when The Next Generation came out I was a young teen and was hooked. My love for Next Gen got me to go back and check out TOS episodes, and I really enjoyed them. Personally, I think DS9 was the crowning achievement of Trek. I watched Voyager, but it really wasn't that good and was overall a huge disappointment to me. Enterprise had some good stuff, but I never really got into it. I would have prefered they move ahead 50-100 years instead of going backwards. They'd just need to stay away from the "timeships" and "temporal cold war" junk. LOVED JJ's Star Trek!! The best time I ever had at a Trek movie, period. I wasn't wild about the monster chasing Kirk (that part kinda dragged for me for some reason) and I would have preferred that Engineering wasn't a brewery, but other than that I loved every minute of it and am really excitted about Into Darkness. I'd love a new series at some point so they can focus more on what episodic Trek does best, the exploration, interpersonal dynamics, and ethical debates. Something in the alternate timeline would be fine, but if they're not doing Kirk and crew then they may as well stay in the Prime Universe and just jump ahead 50-100 years. Guess which one is me
da764854_image.jpeg

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The first countdown comic points to a
Robert April connection.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Paramount says that Abrams will at the very least still produce the next Star Trek film. http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/174653-jj-abrams-will-still-produce-a-third-star-trek-film

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
StarTrek.com just posted a great joint interview with Roberto Orci and Mike Johnson, where they discuss the new movie, the ongoing comic series, and the greater canon-picture between the various storyline sources: http://www.startrek.com/article/orci-johnson-talk-countdown-to-darkness

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The new 30 second spot which is going to be playing during the game today is online now.
The still image of the video is kinda wicked cool, so I'm not embedding the video here. Only the link to the trailer. Better being safe than sorry.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Looks great! I am better. At what? At everything. Well, he may not be Khan, but he certainly seems to think of himself as "superior".

lookyloo

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I'm not sure but it looks like they're holding true to Kirks ability to push the enterprise to new limits ... looks like its coming out of the SF Bay ....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'll look at that 30 sec promo later, thanks for spoilerizing it! No one commenting on the news that Abrams is signed to direct the next Star Wars film? Perhaps it's being discussed on the Star Wars threads. To me, it seems to make more sense he goes there anyway because thats his real love. Not Star Trek. Maybe he'll the writers too, they are writing Star Warsy Trek. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think JJ, at least, will be producing the next movie after Into Darkness. And really, even if the director isn't JJ, it makes no sense to go with a completely different look, feel and characterization for this entire universe. Maybe less lens flares, but Kirk will still be captain (barring any potential events in Into Darkness), the cast will all be in place, Spock and Uhura will be a couple (barring the new movie), etc. Anyone hoping this is a "way out" of the alternate timeline is deluding themselves.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jason, sure, I didn't mean to suggest that JJ leaving the directors chair if there is a third movie would mean any changes to the look and feel of the Alternate Universe Trek. It's was more that I felt that if he's going to do Star Wars, he's probably better suited to that world. If there is a third film, and a new director takes over, it could produce differences like those when Terence Young started Bond, then Guy Hamilton took the third film and created the new look and feel of Goldfinger. But that's something I never thought about till you made that post.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh, I know you didn't, Nelson. That was more of a blanket statement for everyone who doesn't like what JJ has done and assume everything would go away if he were to leave.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Bad Robot will still be producing Trek 3 http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/296811/star-trek-sequel-scheduled-for-may-17-2013-release/270#post_4029971

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks