What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Star Trek sequel scheduled for May 17, 2013 Release (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Zack Gibbs said:
If they wanted the villain's identity to be a twist reveal during the film, it was probably a bad idea to draw everyone's attention to said villain's identity months before release.
Oh I think the JJ Abrams brain trust knows exactly what they are doing. Everything being released has a very carefully calculated and timed feel to it.
Look at how they have fired up the interwebs. Brilliant.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Drew McWeeny - Moriarty over at HitFix - visited BadRobot yesterday where they remained mum on the identity of Cumberbatch's character but saw something that he acknowledges maybe another misdirection but I like the sound of.
Full article - here.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I stopped watching trailers a few years ago (unless I'm at the theater and have no say in the matter) but I'm pretty tempted to take a look at this one.
As an aside: I'm very familiar with modern day actors and I haven't a clue who Cumberbatch is. Since everyone else in this thread knows who he is, that must mean that he's on some British TV show like Dr Who or Torchwood or Sherlock.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Travis, I hadn't seen that Sherlock Holmes series either and I didn't know who Cumberbatch is.
What I found out is that his mother was on the British series by Gerry Anderson called UFO.
Lou, Trekmovie is also reporting their findings at the same Bad Robot event. Nothing really new was learned and I wasn't that inclined to read any spoilers.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
You might want to Nelson - Drew's article is no more spoilery than TrekMovie's. McWeeny's spec is on the third page if you want to jump right to it.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I'd personally be disappointed if they really go to the Khan well again.
But that's just me at the moment.
I'm also a bit tired of the "Earth in Peril" yet again theme (even if it's London this time). The whole point of Star Trek originally was that there is more to the galaxy than our little solar system.
But, we'll see.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Okay Lou!
Joel, agreed. Star Trek is about exploring, meeting new civilizations and boldly going.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Joel Fontenot said:
I'd personally be disappointed if they really go to the Khan well again.
But that's just me at the moment.
I'm also a bit tired of the "Earth in Peril" yet again theme (even if it's London this time). The whole point of Star Trek originally was that there is more to the galaxy than our little solar system.
But, we'll see.
This is about where I'm at with it too Joel, and I personally hope that Cumberbatch's character is NOT Khan. We've been there and done that, with the SECOND original series film no less. I'd love nothing more than to see Abrams steer his new Trek back to Roddenberry's "to boldy go, to seek out new life and new civilizations" concept, but it looks like what we're gonna get is just another polished (yawn) action film where lots of stuff gets blowed up real good.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I completely forgot (until today) that there are at least two 'Harrisons' in TOS. There is the aforementioned William B. Harrison in Bread and Circuses, and the Harrison in Space Seed. This isn't necessarily relevant, unless this new film is somehow another rehash of Khan. Perhaps Khan revived Harrison and gave him an 'augment' pill or two. ;)
Kirk: "They have my ship, discarding their own worthless vessel. Only moments of air left on the bridge now. Commendations recommended for Lieutenant Uhura, Technicians First Class Thule and Harrison ... Lieutenant Spinelli ...".
http://www.voyager.cz/tos/epizody/25spaceseedtrans.htm
BTW, I completely missed that Loki is also in the Brig. Is this the Loki of "Loki and Bele" fame?
"They released an image of Zachary Quinto as Spock, Cumberbatch in the cell that held Loki and Silva, and Chris Pine as Captain James T. Motherscratchin' Kirk, and in the caption, they named him as 'John Harrison.'"
http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/a-day-at-bad-robot-gives-us-a-better-look-at-star-trek-into-darkness/1

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma /t/296811/star-trek-sequel-scheduled-for-may-17-2013-release/240#post_4012910
Cumberbatch confirms he is NOT playing you know who - http://tinyurl.com/bznh26g
That would make sense given the footage I saw last night in front of The Hobbit (the 9 mins shown at IMAX showings of The Hobbit). The footage has made me extremely excited for the new film indeed.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Has anyone seen the 9-minute preview this weekend? I know it started last night at midnight, reportedly accompanying the Hobbit, there is a list of theaters that have it, I'm just trying to figure out which screenings..

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/296811/star-trek-sequel-scheduled-for-may-17-2013-release/240#post_4013752
Has anyone seen the 9-minute preview this weekend? I know it started last night at midnight, reportedly accompanying the Hobbit, there is a list of theaters that have it, I'm just trying to figure out which screenings..
It was on the 3D IMAX showing last night that I saw in Winston-Salem, NC's Grande Theatre. It's an IMAX-lite screen and so I wasn't expecting it, but sure enough, in all it's Star Trek glory and in 3D.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Chris Will said:
Ah, come on Neil ... need ... a ... scene ... by ... scene ... description ... now ... or ... I'll ....
TrekMovie has that if you cannot wait.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma /t/296811/star-trek-sequel-scheduled-for-may-17-2013-release/240#post_4013791
TrekMovie has that if you cannot wait.
And they do a far better job than I.

But I can easily sum it up for you Chirs....It. Was. Awesome

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Anyone see the new longer trailer that was supposed to hit theaters on the 14th? It wasn't attached to my showing of The Hobbit.
Any links? I haven't found any yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks