1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek II Special Edition

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Osato, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Osato

Osato Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to the Special Edition of Star Trek II. Besides the ABC footage does any one have any ideas as to what the content of the film will consist of? I've read that Shatner & Nimoy are contracted for doing commentaries for the films. Will they be involved for behind the scenes documentaries as well?

2. Blu

Blu Well-Known Member

This is from Shatner's website.

Q: Mr. Shatner, I just read that you will be providing commentary for future releases of "Star Trek" movie DVDs. Any one in particular that you are looking forward to? Doug

WS: To me, obviously, the most interesting, most fascinating, best director, best actor, most elegantly written and directed is Star Trek V.

So he doesn't deny that he isn't doing ST2 commentary at all. Take it for what its worth.

3. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Well-Known Member

Jonathan Perregaux
    Sometimes I can't tell when Bill Shatner is being playfully facetious or just plain egotistical.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Well-Known Member

There's a difference? [​IMG]

5. Jim_K

Jim_K Well-Known Member

I just hope they include the Space Seed episode as an extra.
    Jim

6. Blu

Blu Well-Known Member

Shatner is Shatner, he is pompous, arrogant, conceited, AND clueless ALL at the same time and I will never forgive him for butchering Freebird!!!!!!

GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Some songs you just DO NOT MESS with and Freebird is one of them!!!

7. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

Glenn

8. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Well-Known Member

Whatt is the ABC footage? I heard there was extra footage, but I don't know what the details are.

9. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Well-Known Member

I have to think that Shatner was trying to be funny there...

Even he was upset that Paramount dropped the budget of ST V right before principle photography began... I've also heard that he would like a shot at a DC to try and fix that mess of a film (like it would help!)

He seems to have a sense of humor about himself and I would still have to say that his comments weren't meant seriously.

10. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

Well, I think we can all agree on one thing about Shatner: while he certainly was Captain Kirk as we knew it, he is a bad actor. [​IMG]

11. Kevin J Willis

Kevin J Willis Well-Known Member

This will be one DVD that i will buy when it comes out. I'm not a major trekkie at all but this was one of the first films i ever saw at a theater, so this will bring back memories.

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Well-Known Member

(do I have to say there are spoilers ahead?)

Eric, the most interesting extra footage that aired on ABC is probably the extended scene when Kirk inspects Engineering and talks to the young ensign (who later dies in Sick Bay after asking Kirk "Is the word given, Admiral?"). The extended scene reveals that he is Scotty's nephew. This puts Scotty's emotions into better context.

13. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see if they use a new transfer. I wonder how much better it can look because the current version is pretty darn good, especially for its age.

It would make more sense to release an extended version since the original version is already out.

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph
    What kind of audio is on the disk. Did they remaster in 5.1?

15. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Well-Known Member

shatner rides horses where someone i know did when he was a kid. once he told him, after asking for his autograph, for $50.

16. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Well-Known Member

Bryan Tuck

17. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Well-Known Member

18. John Koehler

John Koehler Well-Known Member

After reading Captain Quirk: the Unauthorized Biography of William Shatner by Dennis William, I have grown to like and respect Shatner a helluva lot more than previously. I know there were intra-cast conflicts and jealousies, but Shatner IS Kirk and has some authority thereby in the ST franchise. As David Niven admitted with respect to all actors: "It is about ego. Without ego, it doesn't work."

Shatner paid for his "arrogance" many times in his life, including post TV Trek & divorce living in the back of his pickup truck.

I prefer him to any other starship captain!

19. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

Neil,
    The current Star Trek II is in 5.1. It sounds pretty good.
    In regards to Shatner, I like him too. I also like how he has ripped on himself over the years for his acting.
    Here's a good question for you. Who was worse: Mark Hamill or William Shatner? Star Wars is one of my favorites, but that scene in Empire where Luke is crying and screaming when Vader told him he was his father is just plain bad acting. I remember certain scenes in Star Trek episodes where Shatner got emotional and it just didn't work.
    Still, William Shatner is Captain Kirk and Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker. [​IMG]

20. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Well-Known Member