What's new

Spiderman Trailer tonight on Temptation Island 2!!!!December 13th (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you think about it, most of the movie will be live action and not CG, so if there are a few shots that look half fake, I guess its forgivable in context.

Good thing Kirsten Dunst isn't CG...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, the only problem is that I fear that if the depiction of Spidey's web-swinging sequences are treated with cartoon physics, then you run the risk of this turning into a "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" situation where you ask the audience to buy into the idea that there are 3-dimensional cartoons interacting with live human characters.

If you're going to "keep it real" then I think the super-power displays need to look as plausible as possible if you must use CGI to achieve the effect. That is all that I'm asking for in this film when they hopefully will "clean up" the CGI action sequences and truly give the audience that it's really Spidey swinging from building to building, rather than a super-imposed CGI Spidey.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
It seems to me they're trying to stay true to the comic books. And that's the way he swings around the city in the comic books. It would be dull if they did that with wires.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Yes, the special effects are a concern--one that is bigger than my concern for the quality of the script. I trust Sam Raimi's direction and I like him very much, but the effects in the trailer don't look good. There were several instances that I noticed. When Spidey rips his mask off, any scene with him swinging and scenes with the Green Goblin. I'm hoping that the effects will be touched-up since there is some time before its release.
I must say that if the story is great, I can live with the less-than-perfect special effects. Same thing goes for Lord of the Rings, which quite frankly, I wasn't impressed with some of its effects as well. I'm sure I will like both movies regardless.
In regards to Dunst, haven't any of you guys seen Crazy/Beautiful? I guess the movie's bugdget didn't allow for bras. She didn't wear a bra at all in that movie, she pranced around in skimpy clothes and you could see through her shirts several times.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Given the current state of technology a truly realistic CGI representation of a person is probably not doable at this time. Not one that will bear up under close or long scrutiny anyhow.

Keeping that in mind - I'll willingly take that technical limitation as opposed to not having a movie at all. As long as the spirit of the character(s) is maintained and the story is good I say go for it.

Also the way Spidey moves in the trailer mirrors what I pictured in my mind.

I loved the Superman line - a nice homage to the Superman movie and a great reaction shot from Tobey McGuire when he hears the line.

Tobey looks like he has captured the essence of the Parker

character as well!

mark_d

Second Unit
Of all the upcoming event/star vehicle movies that she's seen trailers for, this is top of my wife's list. That includes, and this stunned me knowing how big a fan she is, LOTR ("I want to see it, but I've read it, so I know what happens"). What most impressed her was that they had Spidey move "exactly" as she'd always imagined. And that passionate kiss scene really hit the spot for her...

I'm really looking forward to these next few months. LOTR, Mosters Inc, Vanilla Sky, Spider-Man, AOTC, Minority Report, Black Hawk Down. Even Behind Enemy Lines looks fun in an 80s action movie kind of way. Just what the doctor ordered after this past year's attempts at "entertainment".

Mark

Edit: Just realised I talked about "her" and "she" without saying who it was. Oops!

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Well let's look at it this way. The flying scenes in Superman aren't completely convincing. Does that steal any of the magic from that movie? Of course not. It's good enough for me.

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
Hate to nit-pick here (actually I don't hate it) but it was not "Grandma" who delivered the Superman line, but rather Aunt May. I'm surprised no web-head has corrected this yet.

Count me in as someone who is very psyched to see this movie. I may have some trouble getting to the theater though since May 3rd is my wife's birthday, and May 4th is the due date of my first offspring. Should be an interesting week.

As for the teaser posters, I just bought the current one (looks down on Spidey climbing the side of the building). I got in on ebay for $35, which was a little pricey, but worth it to me.

-Andy

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Aunt May, that's what I meant. :crazy: I'm surprised you guys weren't all over me in the next post. Anyways, it's a bad line, and his reaction is completely predictable. Only result was me rolling my eyes in annoyance.
Nobody said anything about the "I'm Spider-Man!" line. What do you guys think of that? I still can't figure out if it's supposed to be serious or not. (Sounds like he's seen Tim Burton's Batman one to many times.) Awful line either way.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Can't agree with you Ross - love the Superman line and Tobey's reaction! We'll just have to agree to disagree.:D

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
The flying scenes in Superman aren't completely convincing. Does that steal any of the magic from that movie? Of course not.
Exactly. As long as effects are used to tell the story and are reasonably well done for their time I'm all for them.
I wasn't interested in this movie at all at first because I have never read any of the comics (duck);). Now that I found out Tobey Maguire is playing the lead role I got interested because I think he's an amazing actor. So I downloaded the trailer and absolutely loved it (Kirsten also helped here :)).
I'll totally be there next year.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
23 years ago, the effects in Superman were good enough. Today, you'd be disappointed if the flying scenes were released using what's available today.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure others may have experienced this, or they will soon:
I was at the midnight showing of Lord of the Rings. We got the Spider-Man trailer. After it was over, the audience simply exploded into wild applause. It was great.
(Three hours later, we were again applauding wildly. :) )

mark_d

Second Unit
You know, I have never been to a cinema and heard an audience cheer. Oohs and aahs maybe - and the last time I remember that was True Lies where the Harriers blew the Keys bridge out.

How distracting is it? Does it go on in the movie itself? That would drive me berserk!

I've been to a couple of all night shows where it's bedlam, but I don't count that.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks