What's new

So what makes SVS so great? (1 Viewer)

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

I don't wanna be the asshole here, but why ask a question about subs when you're not even able to put gas in your car? Instead of asking the nice people here for their advice or their opinions on a certain brand of subs you should be using the search button and reading what other people have to say about SVS and you'll see that almost everybody thinks SVS makes bad-ass subs that are impossible to beat for the money.

I understand that people are suppose to be able to ask questions here, but normally they are planning on purchasing the item in question not just asking for the sake of it. Or to use this medium to tell people how broke you are.

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike

Well I dont think you are being the asshole for asking a question, just like I hope you dont think Im one for asking the questions I have asked?

I like to know things. I like learning. I might just dig deep sooner than I think "or you think" and pick something up....So im one of those people who like to study and study and search and find out as much as I can before making a purchase like this.

I do this on everything I buy.......So please, bare with me or I guess ignore me If you want......Either way, we do have something in common....SOUND!!

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, I research about products before I buy them also; however, I do a lot of searches before I ask questions, and read a lot of threads.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Mikieson;

Notwithstanding all of your concerns, I would strongly suggest just waiting it out until you are ready to purchase what you really want [after your research] Maybe it's SVS, maybe not. But I can tell you from experience, you'll ultimately spend more if you buy based on price rather than quality. I am now looking to replace my Yamaha RX-V2500 [not even a year old] because I cheaped out on the 2600 and now need HDMI switching. I'm now emotionally preparing for that confused, disapproving look I am sure to get when I try to explain this one to my wife. :crazy:

Gunny

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike

If I were you I wouldnt spend more money just for HDMI. Thats just my opinion though. To me, its overrated and not even needed. And you can buy switchers "if im not mistaken"..I bought a new Pioneer ELITE vsx-52TX back in 05. It has everything but HDMI...I will have this receiver for AT LEAST 10-15 years....Matter of fact I just now started using it this past weekend. I just now got my speakers all set up and didnt want to use it till I had everything.

As far as my questions and searching and brousing the forums...Its just how I do. I like to do at least a year of research before I spend this kind of money. I hope all of you here will understand and be patient and help out as much as possible when needed......Thanks guys/gals ..have a nice day...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
HDMI is necessary to utilize the HD audio formats used by HD DVD and Blu Ray, unless you want to use the 7/5.1 analog outs, which don't even exist on some players. Also, HDMI is required for copy protection purposes, and although current HD players can output HD over component, any current upscaling of SD DVD or any future protected HD media require HDMI. Personally, if I were buying today, I wouldn't get any receiver that didn't have full HDMI capabilities.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
I have to agree with Robert J on this one. Car audio is far different than Home Theater. Bass in music especially hip hop and rap are often mixed to be over emphasized almost bordering on unnatural. A car is not tooled and tuned for acoustic response. I don't care how much you've spent on amps and speakers for your car its distorted, unnatural overly extended bass. A good sub like SVS in home theater adds emphasise but doesn't overly do it and sounds natural. Two completely different animals. Find someone with an SVS and listen to Lord of The Rings or the opening battle scene from Master and Commander and you'll see what we're talking about.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Tree Beard walking will more than shake and rattle your home. It will stress it when pumped out by an SVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks