What's new

So I have $2100 for a Home Theater... (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Any receiver with a subwoofer output will work with any powered subwoofer.
I'm really not knowledgable about subs at all since my living arrangement doesn't allow me to take full advantage a proper subwoofer but I've learned a lot from other members on this forum, particularly Robert J. You should really wait for him, and other members, to give you the proper answers to subwoofer questions but pretty much any powered sub will work with any name brand receiver made in the last 10+ years. I think room size, floor material, budget and expected output determine which sub is right for you.

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
I just compared the both and it seems like the Polk Audio PSW505 is 300 watts continuous vs the Bic F12's 150 watts continuous. The Bic has a 475 watt peak compared to the PSW505's 460 watts. I know wattage isn't everything, but DOUBLE? Which one's better?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Again, not a subwoofer expert. I'm sure the Polk 505 is a fine subwoofer (their less expensive subs really aren't) but I think peak power is more important than continuous for things like explosions and such. But the biggest thing to me is the frequency response. The F-12's -3 db lower extention is 25 hz (23 for the V1220 and the 505 is 28 hz. Also, BestBuy.com has the F-12 for $185 shipped. The V1220 is 200/430 and 23 hz for $179. It's a tough call but I bet they're all similar in the real world. The V1220 is kind of grey in color and the least attractive of the three however.

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
Wow, I forgot about Best Buy. I just popped over there and checked. For $180, that's a great deal. And you're right about the F12's lower extension. I've done a bit of research and concluded that the 505 is better for music by a bit, but the F12 is a lot better for movies and games. And I think it looks the best. Thanks again.

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
Does anyone know the dimensions of the BIC F-12? Amazon give me one thing (21"H x 19"W x 22"D) but BIC's site (http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=2&type=8&spkrID=84) gives me (17"H x 14 3/4"W x 17 1/4"D)

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
Some more noob questions:
What is the "peak" wattage of a subwoofer and why does it matter. Why does it matter if the peak wattage is 475 if my receiver only outputs at 100 watts?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Well first off, subwoofers aren't powered by your reciever. They have an internal amplifier that is independent from that wattage specified in the receiver specifications.
Peak wattage is transient - the maximum power that can be delivered for extremely short bursts of time, but that's okay because bass isn't usually always at ear popping levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks