What's new

So I have $2100 for a Home Theater... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The CSR IS the center for the R series. Period. The CS goes with either the Monitor or TSi.
You said "on wall". On wall speakers are intended to be mounted on a wall. Are you mounting them on a wall like a picture...or are you buying mounts and keeping them "away" from a wall?

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
Sorry, I meant buying mounts. My terminology's accurate as I'm quite a noob. So how do those "on walls" compare with mounting a Dayton B652 or Sony SS-B1000?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You do need to learn to search for what goes together.
With your R300 fronts...here you go...
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Two-Way-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B000MGNDHE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348456918&sr=1-2&keywords=polk+r

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
But does better soundstage necessarily mean better sound quality? I'd rather have the latter.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Soundstage, essentially, means when the "sound pans"...you don't notice a difference. All you hear is the sound changed position...not that you are listening to the center...now you are listening to the left speaker.
When "done right"...you shouldn't be able to locate what speaker(as in WHAT SPEAKER) is doing the voices...vs the gunshots.
That is soundstage.

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
I don't think my ears are sensitive enough or on the same audiophile level as you guys are.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is a practical reason to buy 5 R series Polk...
Five years from now when you decide you want some new speakers. Five R will set you back, what...$400-ish?
You buy all mismatched speakers and put the R300 on CL or Fleabay. Nobody will care, nobody will call or bid.
You buy R300 with the CSR and R150...sell all 5. You'd probably get $200 back.
Edit:
I just checked Amazons prices...
With your NewEgg deal at $50 each(for $100)
The CSR is $75.
Pair of R150 is $100.
That is $275. In five years, cause you bought all five...you can resell them for $150-$200.
If all you buy is the R300, you might be able to mark them "free" at a garage sale.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
awcamaro said:
I don't think my ears are sensitive enough or on the same audiophile level as you guys are.
You would be surprised at what your ears can hear with a properly matched and calibrated surround sound system. Doesn't have to be expensive, just done right. Expensive speakers should be better of course, but you don't have to spend a lot to get a lot. Right now Frys has the Infinity Primus 163's on sale for $107 a pair. Two pair of those and a Primus 250 center for around $100 would be a very satisfying system. $500 worth of Polks, Sony's and/or BIC's all in the same system would sound confusing. I would also recommend that you stick with the same brand and series, particularly with the fronts and center, regardless of how much you spend.

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
So I just got a BIC V1220
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-V-1220-430-Watt-Down-Firing-Subwoofer/dp/B0000Y2WYS
How much clearance should I give the port on the side?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Whatever distance from the wall where you don't get "port chuff"...
That varies based on gain, source and material. In general, at least 6 inches. Most people end up around a foot.

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II for $99.99. Yes or no? I have a feeling it will be a HUGE YES! Will go great with a CS1 or CS2 Series II. I'll probably be using these as my fronts. If I do spring for them, how much back room should I give them? No side room as no space, maybe just 1 or 2 inches on the sides.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For $99 you can't go wrong with the M60's though the Infinity Primus 363 is a better speaker for $109 at Frys IMO. But I'm sure there are many people who would prefer the slightly brighter sound of the Polks, especially for movies/tv. Anyway, the Monitor 60's are front ported so back spacing isn't as much of an issue as with rear ported speakers (like the P363's) but you should give them as much room as possible. As always, trial and error comes into play. Lack of side room might be a bigger problem.
I've heard both the smaller Monitor center and the larger one at the same time (can't remember the exact model #'s) at a friends house (he bought the smaller one, then up-graded to the larger one) and much, much preferred the larger model. The general concensus seems to be the "1" model with the M30's or M40's and the "2" model with the towers.

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
Thanks so much. I looked up the Infinity Primus P363 as I saw them on SlickDeals, but Fry's tells me that no such product was found. Not sure why as many people seem fine with locating it. Could you give me a link? Also, I still need to do some measurements to see whether the CS1 or CS2 would fit better, but I'll be considering the fact that the CS2 is much better. Thanks.

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
How do the Monitor 40 Series II compare with the Monitor 60 Series II? I'm still debating if I should get a floorstanding model or a smaller "bookshelf" model.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would think the only real difference would ba a little more bottom end with the 60's which might be noticable if you listen to stereo music in Pure Analog as I do. Otherwise, if you always use your subwoofer then you probably wouldn't even notice the difference between the two. Speaker stands can eat up the cost savings. The 40's can be wall mounted I suppose. The CS1 is the best match for the 40's but I really prefer the sound quality of the CS2 so a little mis-match between the fronts and center would be acceptable to me in order to get the better sound quality of the CS2 but I'm sure some other members would disagree with that. In this price range it's a matter of compromise.
It looks like the 363's are only available in certain markets at Fry's. ElectrinicsExpo.com by itself and through Amazon, is selling last years 362's for $130 apiece + shipping. I think they're a higher quality speaker then the Monitor 60's/40's but again, others might disagree. And I've never heard a complaint from Monitor owners.

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
Great, I'll be getting the CS2 and the 40's probably. Now, about the sub. I know wattage aren't the only things that matter, so I'll ask you, what's the best under $200? Bic F12? Polk PSW505? Bic v1220? Or anything else?

awcamaro

Agent
Real Name
Alvin
Also, does anyone know what the dimensions for the Monitor 40's and CS2 (also the CS1 just in case I end up getting that) are?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
BIC F-12 seems to be the popular choice.
60's
Cabinet Dimensions
Height 37 1/2" (95.25cm)
Width 7" (17.78cm)
Depth 13 1/4" (33.66cm)
Product Weight (each) 31.00 pounds
40's
Cabinet Dimensions
Height 15 3/4" (40.01cm)
Width 7" (17.78cm)
Depth 12" (30.48cm)
Product Weight (each) 16.00 pounds
CS1
Cabinet Dimensions
Height 7" (17.78cm)
Width 18" (45.72cm)
Depth 9 5/8" (24.45cm)
Product Weight (each) 13.00 pounds
CS2
Cabinet Dimensions
Height 7 3/4" (19.68cm)
Width 21 1/4" (53.98cm)
Depth 11 1/8" (28.26cm)
Product Weight (each) 17.00 pounds

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks