What's new

Sergio Leone Anthology on Blu-Ray????? (1 Viewer)

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Has anyone seen any indication that the Sergio Leone Anthology will be coming out on Blu-Ray? I was thinking of purchasing the DVD version, but don't want to if there's a chance it will be on Blu-Ray in the reasonable future.

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
I had this one in my hand and put it back for the same reason. I doubt however, that we'll see the BD version this year. MGM's stuff is in limbo right now. Fox distributes their catalog and they're holding off on releases for the time being. So unless you can wait until probably sometime next year... :)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I believe this set is only the three 'Man with no name' films. As I already own the most recent releases in SD, I will pass until HDs are available.

While I will continue to 'double-dip', replacing SDs with HDs, I have stopped repurchasing SDs with more current SDs. One must draw a line somewhere.:)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,

No, actually the Sergio Leone anthology includes four films (the three Man with No Name movies: Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly), as well as Duck You Sucker (aka Fistful of Dynamite). These films are the SEs that have only been released outside the US to date (with the exception of TGTBATU). The previous FOD, FAFDM, and FODynamite were non-anamorphic only. So, unless you own the R2 SE, etc. there is a good reason to upgrade here, if you can't wait like me. ;)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Yep. I missed the fourth film in the list. THis will now be a tough decision to make, as I own the SE of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. To upgrade or not to upgrade.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,

You must make up your own mind of course, but Fox was to release Fistful of Dollars on BD, but who knows what's up with them? Even if they do 4Q, I'm pretty sure it'll be awhile before we see all of these in HD.

I still buy SD DVD here and there, I like spaghetti westerns, exploitation movies, and other assorted 'weirdness' that'll take eons to be released in HD goodness. :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely love these films but I had to pass on this set. Not that I have much hope to see these on BD in the near future (up yours Fox) but I'm just plain sick and tired of double/triple dipping on SD titles, especially titles I pine for on HD.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Same here. Was close to buying but I put it back on the shelf. Was probably the third time in a month that I've done this too.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Do what I'm planning to do: pick up Duck, You Sucker (since it's never been out on DVD before on this side of the pond) and wait on the others.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Second!

Stephen, that's exactly what I did already - and the day before yesterday DYS arrived, a nice looking 2-disc set for only $18.87.

(Haven't watched it yet: too many releases arriving, during the last 3 days.)

Cees

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would have snapped up the SD set if it had been released a year ago. Now.... (shrug). Guess I'm stuck waiting for these films to appear on Blu.

Ali B

Second Unit
I believe For a Few Dollars More was one of the very early 'announced' titles for July or so, but like so many of those 'announcements' it seems not to have materialised

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
^Pretty sure it was Fistful of Dollars, not A Few Dollars More that was announced. Seeing as Fistul is the start of the 'trilogy' that makes more sense anyway.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Yes, that would make sense. Except I believe they released them in reverse on standard DVD starting with TGTBTE, followed by AFDM, then AFOD. Hopefully this time around we'll get them in order (or better yet, a box set with all 3). :)

Ali B

Second Unit

I thought it was odd too, but then I personally think FAFDM is the masterpiece of the trilogy. Either way, none of them have come out nor seem likely - they would have been instant buys into Blu Ray for me...

Here's hoping Paramount get around to OUATITW some time soon (maybe to coincide with the new restoration premiere'ing at Venice in 2008).

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
GOOD BAD AND THE UGLY will be imported by me on HD DVD when it's released in Spain after reviews of course.

I have ordered the S DVD set and will happily devour it. If they had announced a Blu Ray set I would be a Blu Ray owner yesterday!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

That's how I feel about it. There is a core set of about 50-100 films that I must always own in the best presentation available at all times, and these movies are among them.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
The answer to this thread's question now appears to be YES, by the end of the year!!!

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

News Story

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Whooo Hooo!!!! Unfuckingbelievable!!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
Glad I had some patience for once.

I wonder if MGM will follow suit with Blu releases of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and RoboCop since both are getting the deluxe DVD treatment in the next couple of months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks