What's new

SEAS Trym DIY Speaker Build (1 Viewer)

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Sorry for the confusion, I was just stating that the resistance wasn't very different between an 18 and 22 gauge .8 mH inductor, so I'm guessing/hoping the difference between an 18 and 22 gauge .22 mH inductor also won't be very much (or at least not enough to be noticeable). I did ask if they knew where I could locate 22 AWG coils, but they said they hadn't ever seen any. I suppose SEAS likely crafted their coils themselves anyways, so they weren't very concerned about the availability of them to people trying to build without making their own coils.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
iBalisy said:
Sorry for the confusion, I was just stating that the resistance wasn't very different between an 18 and 22 gauge .8 mH inductor, so I'm guessing/hoping the difference between an 18 and 22 gauge .22 mH inductor also won't be very much (or at least not enough to be noticeable). I did ask if they knew where I could locate 22 AWG coils, but they said they hadn't ever seen any. I suppose SEAS likely crafted their coils themselves anyways, so they weren't very concerned about the availability of them to people trying to build without making their own coils.
no problem.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Thanks again for all the help guys! I'd like to post pictures of my building process to help out people who might be looking at the same or similar DIY projects. Should I continue that in this thread and have the thread renamed to "SEAS Trym DIY speaker project"?

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
maybe the powers that be can create a DIY forum and we can start threads of our projects that would cool

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Mike Thomass said:
maybe the powers that be can create a DIY forum and we can start threads of our projects that would cool
That would be very cool indeed. I'm also a computer builder and overclock.net has a great DIY section that's invaluable at times for building advise. My guess is a DIY section here on HTF would be similarly invaluable to beginner DIY speaker builders like myself. In the meantime, how would I go about asking a MOD to change the title of this thread?

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
iBalisy said:
That would be very cool indeed. I'm also a computer builder and overclock.net has a great DIY section that's invaluable at times for building advise. My guess is a DIY section here on HTF would be similarly invaluable to beginner DIY speaker builders like myself. In the meantime, how would I go about asking a MOD to change the title of this thread?
i reported this post to the moderators, labeled it as other in the reason field. said we wanted to change thread title lets see what happens

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Ok, I'm pretty sure posting MOD: please change title of thread to "SEAS Trym DIY Speaker Build" would work, I think I saw something like that in another thread. I'll try it

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
MOD: please change title of thread to "SEAS Trym DIY Speaker Build"

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Thomass said:
It would be more of a "bring back the DIY forum". The old DIY forum is where Ron S met Tom V and they build a subwoofer that would later start SVS.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
That would be very cool. In the meantime I'll put a notice on my first post in this thread informing anyone who looks at it that I'm going to be doing a SEAS Trym build log in this thread.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
Robert_J said:
It would be more of a "bring back the DIY forum". The old DIY forum is where Ron S met Tom V and they build a subwoofer that would later start SVS.
rob, you want to build a sub with me and start a company?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TJ Subwoofers sound good? Companies have started smaller. Elemental Designs started in Ben Milne's dorm room. Scott Atwell started building subs in his garage, sold off Resonant Engineering and now has Fi Car Audio, Ascendant Audio and builds for other people.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
I think you guys are on to something. TJ Subs has a nice ring to it :D Anyways, received the crossover components today, I'm pretty excited to get to setting them all up and start soldering. :) I'll post more pictures when I've started soldering, probably over the weekend.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Hello again! I started the enclosures because I had to get the MDF before actually putting the crossover together anyways (I'm mounting the crossover on a piece of 1/2" MDF). So I've cut out all the pieces of MDF for the build and I'm going to start sanding, sealing and gluing the parts together. I'll post more pictures throughout this process. I'm still undecided about how to dampen the boxes, but I'll search around the forums and figure that out. Maybe Black Hole 5? Seems to get some mentions around here.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
iBalisy said:
I'm still undecided about how to dampen the boxes, but I'll search around the forums and figure that out. Maybe Black Hole 5? Seems to get some mentions around here.
Black Hole only gets mentioned when it is a movie title. No need to dampen with that. Just brace it properly and nothing else is needed. The DIII only uses a single brace - http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/D3/dayton3.htm and if your speaker is smaller, then no additional bracing needed.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Robert_J said:
No need to dampen with that. Just brace it properly and nothing else is needed. The DIII only uses a single brace - http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/D3/dayton3.htm and if your speaker is smaller, then no additional bracing needed.
Really? No need to dampen the box? It's about 34 liters (14.75" H x 10.5" W x 13.25" D). I was thinking that because they're not tower speakers and won't really be taking on very much low end that I might not need very much dampening, but I was still thinking I would need some acoustafoam just to make sure I don't get any unwanted reverberation in the box. But it is my first build, so I suppose I'm likely incorrect? EDIT: Also, you say it might need to be braced, but the SEAS design shows no bracing at all. Should I be concerned with bracing if it's not mentioned at all on the SEAS design?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks