What's new

Scarface Deluxe Gift Set - 9/30/2003 (1 Viewer)

Craig_T

Second Unit
I sure hope they don't screw up the re-release of Scarface. I'm getting worried that this film is never going to be done properly on DVD.:frowning:

Mark Picc

Auditioning
Hello, new to this forum, I had to sign up just to comment on the upcoming new Scarface DVD and it's special features.

I've been anxiously waiting for this DVD to come out for the last few years as most of you have as well.

The extras will reportedly include "interview footage presented by Def Jam featuring today's hottest music stars commenting on how Scarface has influenced their life and music", Rebirth of Scarface; Creating Scarface; Scarface: The TV Version and more!

What in God's name do Def Jam music stars have to do with Scarface???? Why would Universal put some ridiculous Special feature on such an unbelievable classic movie such as this. Who really cares about how Scarface influenced the lives and music of a bunch of wannabe gangster/rappers or anybody else for that matter.

This special feature frightens me to believe that Universal has done the unthinkable and re-released Scarface with all new hiphop/rap music soundtrack as the rumours floated last year. I hope to God it's not true!!!!!!!

If it's true then... then i don't think I'll be making the purchase unless they are good enough to release 2 versions, one with the original soundtrack.

Any insight or comments on the matter.

Mark

:frowning:

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
This special feature frightens me to believe that Universal has done the unthinkable and re-released Scarface with all new hiphop/rap music soundtrack as the rumours floated last year. I hope to God it's not true!!!!!!!
It's not true. DePalma vetoed the concept last year.

DJ

Britton

Screenwriter
If I had my way, I'd drop the DTS track and the Def Jam music stars feature to make more room for the video. This is too long a movie for all that stuff to be crammed on one disc. However, since I have no say in the production of this disc, I'll be there to get it on September 30th.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I hope you're correct about the veto by De Palma. Can you confirm this somehow?
DePalma spoke of it in a New York Times interview last year. The original Times article isn't available for free online anymore, but you can read a quote from it in my post on the subject from last year shortly after the article was published.

DJ

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Scarface (1983, Brian De Palma)

Correct me if wrong with any of the following:

- This is a NEW anamorphic transfer

- It is a 1-disc edition

- Everything is on a DVD-9

- It is the original soundtravk with Moroder's superb score

Right? :confused:

It is a 170-minute film with anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer, DD5.1, DTS 5.1, and includes additional video information (extra features)?

What are the average bitrates likely to be? It just seems like quite a lot of stuff for a DVD-9.

Gordy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Gordon,

Hopefully, they will utilize the back side of the disc (ala Gods and Generals).

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
What - split the movie over two sides?

It's 170 minutes of video, DD5.1 and DTS.

Well it's either that or put the film one side using the two layers.

Catch 22! :D

And I'm Yossarian! ;)

Gordy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Gordon,

They split Gods and Generals over two sides; 214 min. movie with several documentaries, extras, etc.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
1 way to find out is does the dvd itself have disc art on it or is it plain ? That way we will know if its split on 2 sides or not .

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
"The association has nothing to do with the character's race and everything to do with the fact that he's a gangster."

You mean nationality? Cuban is not a race. Maybe you are right about the gangster mentality but remember everything comes from the fact that he is an immigrant. In other words, He never had anything now he wants the world and quickly.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Tony,

Unfortunately, the disc hasn't been shown anywhere. I would REALLY like to find out. If everything is on one side, that is just plains nuts and/or stupid.

More regarding Gods and Generals --- evidently, about half of the movie is on one side; the other half and extras on the other. According to DVDFILE's review, it looks good. Sort of an odd waying of doing it. If they want to save money and maximize video quality by using only one disc for Scarface, why not drop DTS and put the entire 170 min. movie on one side with extras on the back? (On the other hand, Superbit The Patriot is almost the same length and looks quite good with DTS -- the entire movie on one side. Of course, motion menus and commentaries, etc. were eliminated.)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
The wizard of oz dvd had tons of extras, yet it still managed to look good. But then again scarface is like an hour longer, so we will have to wait and see.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
An hour longer with DTS which is a bit eater. Also, it has two foreign 2.0 DD tracks.

Mark Picc

Auditioning
It looks like each movie in the box set might be only 1 disc judging by amazon website. Number of discs: 2
But who knows.... could be incorrect.

Box Set details

Starring: Al Pacino, Michelle Pfeiffer, See more

Director: Brian De Palma

Encoding: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)
Rated: Not for sale to persons under age 18.
Studio: Universal Studios

DVD Release Date: September 30, 2003
DVD Features:
Number of discs: 2

From IMDb: Quotes & Trivia
ASIN: B0000AMRJE
Amazon.com Sales Rank (DVD): 791

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks