What's new

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC) (2 Viewers)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ Based on the end of the last episode, I would hope so. IIRC, Coulson was taken prisoner and the last thing mentioned in the episode was something to the effect of "what happened in Tahiti?"

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sounds like the full explanation could be drawn out:

http://www.blastr.com/2014-1-6/shields-coulson-teases-satisfying-answer-resurrection-mystery
The way our team has kind of turned the back half of this season into a reveal that uses the mystery of Coulson's death not just as a standalone reveal but as an integral part of the bigger reveal, which is that this organization Centipede, run by this person the Clairvoyant, has been part of almost everything we've done and connects on a deep level to everything going forward.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Damn did this take a pretty dark damn turn in the last segment. Very interesting. I'm hoping this has realy found some sealegs, but we've now setup a whole different puzzle.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's like they separated out everything that works on the show (Coulson with the good guys and Raina with the bad guys) into one storyline and left everything that doesn't for the other storylines.I'm glad Coulson isn't a life model decoy or a clone. It wasn't the grand reveal I was expecting, but it was surprisingly dark and twisted for a show that is generally more lighthearted than really seems appropriate given the organization at its center. The best reveals merely raise more questions, and this one definitely fit into that mold.And it's always a good thing when Ron Glass graces my TV screen.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yeah, definitely a darker tone. Is the show going for darker for the long haul? I must admit that isn't the way I would have thought the producers would have gone.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Last night's episode was great. I didn't expect resolution to the Coulsen story, but it was an interesting start. I predict a Sam Jackson cameo before all is said and done, because Coulsen has got to confront Fury.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Looks like Jackson may have already filmed something as he appears in Coulsen's memory flashback.Is it me, or does the show seem to be making Skye more the upfront character in so many episodes. It's a large cast and her story seems very important to the show runners.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,I've been thinking the same thing with regard to Skye during the past three or four episodes. I like the actress and the character, so I welcome episodes that feature her prominently.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I don't quite understand if the series is meant to be more ensemble or not. Seems like everyone has their featured moments with Coulsen bring the anchor.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Adam Lenhardt said:
It's like they separated out everything that works on the show (Coulson with the good guys and Raina with the bad guys) into one storyline and left everything that doesn't for the other storylines.I'm glad Coulson isn't a life model decoy or a clone. It wasn't the grand reveal I was expecting, but it was surprisingly dark and twisted for a show that is generally more lighthearted than really seems appropriate given the organization at its center. The best reveals merely raise more questions, and this one definitely fit into that mold.And it's always a good thing when Ron Glass graces my TV screen.
Can you say what the reveal was with Coulson's history? I'm not watching the show, but I'm curious if it's getting better.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Can you say what the reveal was with Coulson's history? I'm not watching the show, but I'm curious if it's getting better.
Instead of being dead for a matter of seconds as was stated in the pilot, Coulson was actually dead for days before S.H.I.E.L.D. decided it needed him. So they brought all of their advanced scientific and medical knowledge to bear trying to reanimate his corpse through surgery after surgery after surgery. Eventually they managed to do it, but Coulson was completely tortured in the process and had no desire to live by the end of it. So they popped off his skull and used this electric shock spidery robot to burn away the memories of what he endured and then artificially replaced them with memories of "Tahiti".

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Adam Lenhardt said:
Instead of being dead for a matter of seconds as was stated in the pilot, Coulson was actually dead for days before S.H.I.E.L.D. decided it needed him. So they brought all of their advanced scientific and medical knowledge to bear trying to reanimate his corpse through surgery after surgery after surgery. Eventually they managed to do it, but Coulson was completely tortured in the process and had no desire to live by the end of it. So they popped off his skull and used this electric shock spidery robot to burn away the memories of what he endured and then artificially replaced them with memories of "Tahiti".
Or at least that's what "The Clairvoyant", and "Venus Flytrap" want him to think.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Dheiner said:
Or at least that's what "The Clairvoyant", and "Venus Flytrap" want him to think.
We do know that he saw the doctor who was present at the procedure saying "this is wrong." Coulson later visits the doctor in the present day, who doesn't give substantive details, but confirms that he was against what happened.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dheiner said:
You mean Det. Ron Harris from Barney Miller. Venus, or Gordon Sims was played by Tim Reid. :)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Adam Lenhardt said:
I didn't take the "reanimate his corpse" and the "use spidery robot to erase his memories" as separate things. To me it looked like they used the spidery robot to operate on his brain, to essentially bring him back. It was this process that was extremely painful and made him want to just stay dead.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
In the opening scene, why did the Shield puck emit a flash of light (which, considering the ensuing fight scene did dick all) instead of, say, knockout gas? I use that as an example because they definitely have the technology. They were using it later in that very episode. It's stuff like this that makes the show so disjointed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TVLine: Bill Paxton Joins Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in recurring roleAccording to the article, he'll be playing a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent from the comics, John Garrett, who's the sort of "rough-and-tumble" character you'd expect from a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.This can only be a positive for the show, because he's a stronger actor than anybody in the cast except maybe Clark Gregg. The downside is that he'll make the main cast look even more lightweight by comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks