What's new

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC) (2 Viewers)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I really didn't care too much for the latest episode, which came off to me like a warmed over episode of Ghost Whisperer. However, I liked the info and development of May's character; so not a total loss.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm actually enjoying this show despite not having seen any of the Marvel films except the original Iron Man, i plan to rectify that next year and have a marathon Marvel session with all the films but in the meantime i am liking this show and it has potential to be really good.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, I didn't really get the "you have to let go" thing, when they didn't even establish the nature of his condition or what was exactly making him phase in and out. Based on that, it was just sheer willpower fueled by his stalker obsession with the safety inspector? :huh:

And while getting some back story on May was nice, I didn't care for the method of the reveal. I liked the notion of Skye progressively getting the truth built on a fabricated story, but in the end it was just a bunch of people talking, for the most part unconvincingly.

Like with Sleepy Hollow, I'm tuning in each week, but at this point I don't see a reason to revisit any of the episodes, meaning a purchase of the Blu-ray probably won't be forthcoming.
David_B_K said:
I really didn't care too much for the latest episode, which came off to me like a warmed over episode of Ghost Whisperer. However, I liked the info and development of May's character; so not a total loss.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Is Sleepy Hollow any good. ?
Probably my favorite new show for this television season. If you enjoyed Fringe then this (Sleepy Hollow) is kind of a supernatural / fantasy version of that show. Also a little bit like The X-Files, and based on your nom de HTF, I'm assuming you were a fan of that particular show.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Not one of my favorites of the more recent episodes. The entity was intriguing enough, I guess, but for me the episode just seemed too loose and disconnected, and it didn't engage me like the last two or three episodes have done.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Color me shocked with the Ward/May scene. Didn't see that coming.

I almost feel like this was a "budget" episode. Not a huge supporting cast, most of the action takes place on existing sets, that kind of thing. Fairly effective, though I had to think it would have played better at Halloween than Thanksgiving.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Finally we've built into something really interesting. This was the first episode that I thought got the quick-paced feel of some f the best of Whedon's work.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I still think the show needs a better editor and better showrunning from the top. When the show's light and breezy, I don't mind the broadness of it. But when they go for the more serious emotional beats with absolutely no subtlety, it just falls flat for me. And the editors continue to pause for quips, even when the quips feel woefully out of place. If "The Hub" nailed what I thought the tone of the show should be, this was a straightfoward example of the extreme unevenness that has plagued the show from the beginning. Conceptually I think the show is fine, each cast member has proven they can bring something interesting to the table, the ongoing story threads are starting to take root, they just need to make all of the pieces gel together better and feel like a cohesive whole.

I'm hoping the cliffhanger means we'll finally get the answer to the question of what the hell exactly happened to Coulson. I also hope the mystery of Skye's parents and the agent who brought her to the orphanage is worth the build-up.

I'm in no danger of jumping ship, it's just that the things the show gets right makes the things it gets wrong all the more frustrating. Hopefully it can pull a "Revolution" and get it figured out by the end of the first season.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought it was a really good episode, and the cliffhanger was, appropriately, maddening. I'm not clear whether Mike was killed in the blast, or whether it was him that blew up or the tanks around him. Anyone get a sense of that?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The whole place was rigged to explode, it wasn't Mike.

This show still isn't where it needs to be. It lacks tightness and focus. It still has that loose, making shit up as they go along feel to it.

And the cast still isn't where it needs to be. Ming Na is hitting a good groove now, but the rest of the cast outside of Clark Gregg is still just meh.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Ming Na is hitting a good groove now
I don't know, for me her character is constantly in sour puss mode with lots of tight looks and the emotional range of an Igloo cooler. I realize that is how the character is written vs. her acting capabilities but it kind of feels like a one-note performance. She is probably my least favorite character on the show right now. Just my $0.02.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've watched every episode, but as I was watching last night, I realized that I really wasn't enjoying it all that much. The first few episodes in 2014 will tell the tale for me.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
It was a good cliffhanger episode and I'm sure we will really find out what happened to Agent Coulson in 2014. It was a nice switch there. We thought that from the Stage 3 comment they were really after Mike, but perhaps the Clairvoyant had something to do with a change of plans. I have high hopes for the second half of the season.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Pepper survived a blast in Iron Man 3. So, I'm wondering if the same basic technology applies here to our good friend, and the blast -didn't- kill him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks