S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Returns tonight. Looks like we might actually find out what happened to Coulson in "Tahiti"...

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    ^ Based on the end of the last episode, I would hope so. IIRC, Coulson was taken prisoner and the last thing mentioned in the episode was something to the effect of "what happened in Tahiti?"

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Sounds like the full explanation could be drawn out:

http://www.blastr.com/2014-1-6/shields-coulson-teases-satisfying-answer-resurrection-mystery

4. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Damn did this take a pretty dark damn turn in the last segment. Very interesting. I'm hoping this has realy found some sealegs, but we've now setup a whole different puzzle.

5. Adam Lenhardt

It's like they separated out everything that works on the show (Coulson with the good guys and Raina with the bad guys) into one storyline and left everything that doesn't for the other storylines.I'm glad Coulson isn't a life model decoy or a clone. It wasn't the grand reveal I was expecting, but it was surprisingly dark and twisted for a show that is generally more lighthearted than really seems appropriate given the organization at its center. The best reveals merely raise more questions, and this one definitely fit into that mold.And it's always a good thing when Ron Glass graces my TV screen.

6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yeah, definitely a darker tone. Is the show going for darker for the long haul? I must admit that isn't the way I would have thought the producers would have gone.

7. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Last night's episode was great. I didn't expect resolution to the Coulsen story, but it was an interesting start. I predict a Sam Jackson cameo before all is said and done, because Coulsen has got to confront Fury.

8. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Looks like Jackson may have already filmed something as he appears in Coulsen's memory flashback.Is it me, or does the show seem to be making Skye more the upfront character in so many episodes. It's a large cast and her story seems very important to the show runners.

9. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Nelson,I've been thinking the same thing with regard to Skye during the past three or four episodes. I like the actress and the character, so I welcome episodes that feature her prominently.

10. Nelson Au

Yeah, I don't quite understand if the series is meant to be more ensemble or not. Seems like everyone has their featured moments with Coulsen bring the anchor.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Can you say what the reveal was with Coulson's history? I'm not watching the show, but I'm curious if it's getting better.

12. Adam Lenhardt

Instead of being dead for a matter of seconds as was stated in the pilot, Coulson was actually dead for days before S.H.I.E.L.D. decided it needed him. So they brought all of their advanced scientific and medical knowledge to bear trying to reanimate his corpse through surgery after surgery after surgery. Eventually they managed to do it, but Coulson was completely tortured in the process and had no desire to live by the end of it. So they popped off his skull and used this electric shock spidery robot to burn away the memories of what he endured and then artificially replaced them with memories of "Tahiti".

13. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    Or at least that's what "The Clairvoyant", and "Venus Flytrap" want him to think.

14. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    We do know that he saw the doctor who was present at the procedure saying "this is wrong." Coulson later visits the doctor in the present day, who doesn't give substantive details, but confirms that he was against what happened.

Jason_V likes this.
  15. Nelson Au

You mean Det. Ron Harris from Barney Miller. Venus, or Gordon Sims was played by Tim Reid. :)

16. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

I didn't take the "reanimate his corpse" and the "use spidery robot to erase his memories" as separate things. To me it looked like they used the spidery robot to operate on his brain, to essentially bring him back. It was this process that was extremely painful and made him want to just stay dead.

17. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    In the opening scene, why did the Shield puck emit a flash of light (which, considering the ensuing fight scene did dick all) instead of, say, knockout gas? I use that as an example because they definitely have the technology. They were using it later in that very episode. It's stuff like this that makes the show so disjointed.

18. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    Damn.

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Crazy. That sounds like it a gotten better from the pilot.

20. Adam Lenhardt

TVLine: Bill Paxton Joins Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in recurring roleAccording to the article, he'll be playing a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent from the comics, John Garrett, who's the sort of "rough-and-tumble" character you'd expect from a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.This can only be a positive for the show, because he's a stronger actor than anybody in the cast except maybe Clark Gregg. The downside is that he'll make the main cast look even more lightweight by comparison.