1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ren and Stimpy advance reviews

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jeff Webb, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Jeff Webb

Jeff Webb Member

With about a week to go, has anyone seen any GENUINE reviews of this set posted yet?

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Well-Known Member

I just got my set late last week and haven't looked at it yet. The packaging is nice - 3 slim cases in a slipcase.

Gord

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

The only question I have is are they uncut?

4. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Well-Known Member

At last we had heard, yes.

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

If true then they just made a sale.

6. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Well-Known Member

Some distressing news here:
    Loyal Order of Stupids message board thread

To summarize, they're not all unedited. [​IMG]

There are also complaints about aliasing, but since the original broadcasts had many aliasing problems, they're probably on the masters.

7. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Well-Known Member

Andrew Radke
    Ok, I'm officially disappointed. I was looking forward to this set a great deal. It sounds like bits and pieces were cut left, right & center......and they have the nerve to put the word "UNCUT" on the packaging. Sure, perhaps the gross-out humor may be intact, but I guess their idea of "uncut" differs from ours.

Now, I haven't seen the show in years, so I probably wouldn't even notice the cuts. Does it warrant a purchase? Not really. I haven't seen "Alf" in ages either, but I refuse to buy hacked versions of those episodes as well.

8. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is the same thing that happened with the Spike TV reruns. The show was hyped as being uncut there, too, but fans began noticing things missing and when this was brought to Spumco's attention they basically said that the problem was that they had provided all of their uncut masters to the network but that there were still some episodes they didn't have and that it might have been too difficult to locate uncut versions. From the thread linked to above, it sounds like the majority of the cuts were from later episodes, when the production of the show started getting especially chaotic.

9. Chris:L

Chris:L Well-Known Member

This is false advertising. A difference of opinion doesn't make uncut justifiable. Uncut simply means uncut. UN... CUT. Shame on the production company that did this. This really eats me up!

10. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Well-Known Member

Lost my sale, and I was DYING to buy these.

Even if they were cut I'd possibly have bought them, but the advertising of them as uncut, when they're anything but... is unforgivable.

11. Casey Trowbridg

This hugely upsets me, especially since the packaging claims uncut.

Boo on Paramount. The fact that they are cut bothers me, but it does not or rather would not bother me as much accept for the fact that they use uncut on the packaging.

12. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Well-Known Member

Wow, this sounds like yet another badly botched release. What are these studios thinking??

One of the posters on that "Loyal Order" message board posted the following....

Sounds like it's just been randomly butchered. Also sounds like the pic quality is suspect. Pathetic. No sale.

OK Paramount now how are you going to botch the Andy Griffith set? [​IMG]

13. Roman-K

Roman-K Well-Known Member

Grrr. it was on my buy list, but will now be joining Alf on the store shelf. Will they ever learn?

14. Jarrod Hines

Jarrod Hines Well-Known Member

Damnit--one of the few releases I was actually looking forward to...screwed up!

Eeeediots!

15. Randy Gray

Randy Gray Well-Known Member

Add my name to the no sale list. I REALLY wanted this set too.

Randy Gray

16. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Well-Known Member

First the Friday set and now this, damn you Paramount for cutting every box set I planned to buy.

No sale here.

17. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Well-Known Member

I was "on the fence" for this release...but with this news, I fell on the oposite side.

18. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Well-Known Member

These have actually been available from Time Life for about 6 months.
    On my copy, in the Powerdered Toast Man episode, instead of throwing the Bill of Rights and the Consitution on the fire, he just throws rolled up papers into the fire...

19. Beast

Beast Well-Known Member

Welp, that sucks. Saves me on purchasing them though. Since I'm not going to support something being cut unless there is some reason behind it. And from what I'm reading, it's less being cut, and more just random butchering. For shame, Paramont. For shame. [​IMG]

20. Casey Trowbridg

This is not a simple reissuing of those discs. For one thing there are more episodes on the Paramount release than were on the Time Life releases. For another, there are commentary tracks and featurettes on the paramount release and the Time/Life releases were bare bones.

I think, and I didn't read the whole thread, but I think some of the edits that were on those T/L releases are not edited on the Complete first and second season release, but that this release has some different edits. Some might be the same though.