What's new

Ren and Stimpy advance reviews (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it was.

i have that dvd.

i fear that this show would be edited as well.

there was an ep that had them battling a villain that very closely resembled superman.

and another that had something to do with bombs blowing up parts of europe, i think.

hard to remember since it has been so long since i have seen them.

i'd be very surprised if that one made it out.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
I buckled and bought the set. I agree that the fade in/outs are distracting but I guess I can live with that. As far as the cuts:

The theory behind the missing "whistling grandpa" scene is an interesting one (regarding John K. not liking the addition of the whistling). That also might explain the other lengthy missing scene: the "bloody head fairy" sequence in "Haunted House". I remember reading (in a lengthy feature on Ren and Stimpy in an old issue of Cinefantasque) an interview with John K. where he mentions that Nick demanded changes to the bloody head fairy. Originally, it had the head and voice of George Liquor. Since Nick hated that character, they had the fairy's head and voice digitally changed (rather awkwardly) in the scene. Maybe since John hated the change, and the (unaired) footage of the original George Liquor version of the fairy would understandably be long gone, he prefered the scene to be gone all together. This is purely conjecture on my part, of course, but something else to think about.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
As I posted eariler, I did send a polite but firm

letter to Paramount to voice my displeasure. It will

be interesting to see if I get any response (not holding

my breath).

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
The last line in the song that ends the "Out West" episode is still missing.

Went something along the lines of "Y'all bring your kids next time."

Not distracting, it's a clean edit, but its annoying when you're looking for it. It's a funny joke, and the more jokes the better.

Other than that, and the aformentioned cuts present, i've been enjoying the set. Like people have been saying, its good just to have these episodes at all. I've emailed Pararmount about my dissatisfaction with the cuts, but also made sure to give them a partial thumbs up on the parts they DID do right.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well, I too bit the bullet and grabbed this set 2 days ago. I just finished disc 1 and have to admit that I love it! It's been 10 years or better since I last saw any of these so it was a real treat for me to sit and enjoy these episodes once again. Disc 2 gets watched today!

I notice the fades as well, but they aren't really distracting to me. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have even given them a second thought hadn't it been for this thread. But so far, they're hardly intrusive, considering how quick the fades actually are. On the other hand, as aforementioned, I've only made it through the first disc.

I literally forgot how funny Ren's facial expressions are. They made me laugh as a teenager, and yesterday was no exception. I just loved it.

I watched the featurette as well yesterday, which wasn't too bad. It probably could've been a bit longer for my taste, otherwise it was a pretty informative piece. Once I'm finished the set, I'll go back and re-watch the episodes with commentary.

In short, despite the cuts, I have no regrets what-so-ever. I've been wanting to own Ren & Stimpy for ages, and now I've got them.

I'm just wondering what the chances are that Paramount might release the remaining seasons, although they weren't produced by John K. Being the completist I am, I'd still like to have them.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, i'd pick up Season 3 in a flash, just to have the Rens Pecs/An Abe Divided episode, my personal favorite of the entire series (don't tell John K
blush.gif
).

Tied for favorite episode is another one from Season 3 The Wilbur Cobb episode where Ren and Stimpy visit him in jail to show him their film "Poopy and Explodey". Classic, classic stuff. (again, don't tell John K I said this
blush.gif
)

Season 4 I don't remember so well, but I do recall it was pretty weak. But if it's packaged with Season 3 for the same price as the first set, i'd pick it up and consider Season 4 to be a huge special feature.
biggrin.gif

WillG

Senior HTF Member
quote:Yeah, i'd pick up Season 3 in a flash,

I can also say I am not on the "If it's not by John K. it's shit" bandwagon. There are several episodes that I think are great that come from the 3rd and 4th season (some are pretty lame though)

I like the ones mentioned above like "Ren's Pecs" and "An Abe Divided" (See the President pick his nose - $0.25") I like the one where they are tying to get the pork jowles from the windowsill but the baboon stands between them "Honey, it's your turn to be mauled by the baboon" I like the one where they are trying to get themselves into jail. For some reason, I also like "Egg Yolkeio" as well. There are also a few others that I can't think of right now.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I thought I would post a letter I received from
Paramount about the Ren And Stimpy "Uncut" series.
I originally pre-ordered this set from Amazon, then
I found out from this thread that "uncut" was false.
I returned the set unopened, and wrote Paramount a
polite but firm letter to tell them they screwed up.
This is the letter I got today-

"Thank you for your letter regarding the Ren & Stimpy
DVD you purchased. We have made a note of your comments
and dissatisfaction with this product. We value your
input and have forwarded your letter directly to our DVD
department for consideration when producing future DVD
releases."

I was pleasantly surprised that I received a response
from them. I think this indicates that someone there
does care, and pays attention to consumer feedback.

Has anybody else received a response from Paramount
about this controversy?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Not about this controversy, but I must say that Paramount has the best customer service of any company that I've dealt with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks