What's new

Regarding the restoration of 'A Star is Born' (1954) (2 Viewers)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by dolstein

No, he didn't. He did mention that we'll be getting The Magnificent Ambersons next year, along with Citizen Kane on Blu-Ray. The other title I asked him about was Greed. He said that that title was being held back, along with all the other Warner silents that Kevin Brownlow restored, because he wants to do them right (full HD transfers, etc.), although he said as a stopgap Warner might release the Rick Schmidlin reconstruction, which has a progressive scan digital master.

Interesting. Not too surprising that the long wait for Ambersons has allowed it to make the leap to Blu immediately. I'm hoping Greed, The Big Parade and The Crowd end up being worth the wait and that they do indeed get the budget to release them properly.

dolstein

Auditioning
Real Name
David Olstein
The only announcements I recall regarding the Warner Archive program would be that they would start releasing DVD-9 titles, which would allow room for bonus content, and that they would be releasing 200 remastered titles (I think these would be new titles, not remasterings of old Warner Archive titles). Also, Feltenstein mentioned that future cartoon released would not be limited to Warner Archive titles. He also announced a TV release on Warner Archives, but I forget what it was.

Originally Posted by Steve...O

David, thank you very much for your report on this issue; much appreciated. One gets the sense he is limited in what he can publically say with regards to this issue.

You mentioned that Mr. Feltenstein's appearance was meant to promote the Archive. Did he give any indication of any forthcoming changes to the program such as moving to pressed discs, addition of subtitles, more reasonable pricing (all of which have been brought up here and elsewhere).

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by dolstein

The only announcements I recall regarding the Warner Archive program would be that they would start releasing DVD-9 titles, which would allow room for bonus content, and that they would be releasing 200 remastered titles (I think these would be new titles, not remasterings of old Warner Archive titles). Also, Feltenstein mentioned that future cartoon released would not be limited to Warner Archive titles. He also announced a TV release on Warner Archives, but I forget what it was.

Did he explain at all why the titles are priced the way the are, or whether there will be any change with regard to pricing?

Michael91

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Any news about this alleged uncut print? If Arick has it, hopefully he releases it to WB soon since it seems likely that the new version is likely going to be a Best Picture frontrunner (it may even win).

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Saw the classic 1954 film A Star is Born on Blu-ray earlier this year, starring Judy Garland & James Mason. Never seen the film before, and was extremely impressed.

Great epic storyline - very poignant & powerful. This was also a very realistic look at the dangers of alcoholism, and how it can destroy people & families.

I did notice that in the middle of the film, there were several scenes where the dialogue was just a "voice over" & we just saw pictures of the events. Obviously, this was because these scenes couldn't be restored. However, I think this approach worked well & it didn't take me out of the movie - too much. And, I preferred having this dialogue in the film than vs. having it missing.

I've since seen the 1937 version, which was solid as well - but not as good as the '54 version. Still haven't seen the 1976 and 2018 versions, but they're next on my list. I don't know which one is considered the most iconic, but even without seeing the other two I think this '54 version may be the best one out there.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Saw the classic 1954 film A Star is Born on Blu-ray earlier this year, starring Judy Garland & James Mason. Never seen the film before, and was extremely impressed.

Great epic storyline - very poignant & powerful. This was also a very realistic look at the dangers of alcoholism, and how it can destroy people & families.

I did notice that in the middle of the film, there were several scenes where the dialogue was just a "voice over" & we just saw pictures of the events. Obviously, this was because these scenes couldn't be restored. However, I think this approach worked well & it didn't take me out of the movie - too much. And, I preferred having this dialogue in the film than vs. having it missing.

I've since seen the 1937 version, which was solid as well. Still haven't seen the 1976 and 2018 versions, but they're next on my list. I don't know which one is considered the most iconic, but even without seeing the others I think this 1954 version may be the best one out there.

Since you are enthusiastic about the film, Ron Haver's book about the restoration is a must read. Fascinating stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Born-Ma...&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=ron+haver+star+is+born

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
You (the drifter) also have not lived through years of seeing the disjointed cut up version which had missing vital scenes and strange lines that did not make sense at all like “just think of a ‘nut burger’” that remained even after the scene of Esther working at the drive in was cut.

I remember attending a screening of the restored version in Toronto where the audience gave it a standing ovation. I still hope every day that a complete version will be found.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
There's been a rumor for years that a private collector has a pre-release print of the film with the missing scenes. Perhaps the folks at WB are waiting for him to 'kick the bucket' and reclaim their lost property......

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
There's been a rumor for years that a private collector has a pre-release print of the film with the missing scenes. Perhaps the folks at WB are waiting for him to 'kick the bucket' and reclaim their lost property......
Why do you believe it's their property? If you read through the two threads on this subject, you may change your mind.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It is Warner’s property. The so-called private collector who has the complete print is in possession of stolen property and is directly responsible for the sabotage of our collective film heritage. Harm is done each and every day that he refuses to do the right thing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Warner enlisted the FBI to seize the print years ago, and the FBI tried to, but he apparently moved it elsewhere or gave it to someone else for safekeeping, and they weren't able to track it down further. But that guy is no hero in my book.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Why wait until he kicks the bucket? If its stolen, why doesn't WB sue him?
Because he didn't steal it. He bought it fairly and squarely with Warner's full knowledge and approval. They had a severe falling out and he refused to co-operate with Warners any further.

Reactions: PMF

Michael91

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Warner enlisted the FBI to seize the print years ago, and the FBI tried to, but he apparently moved it elsewhere or gave it to someone else for safekeeping, and they weren't able to track it down further. But that guy is no hero in my book.

Oh really? I thought that was all speculation. I didn't know Warner actually tried to have this alleged complete print seized.

Reactions: PMF

stan heck11

Auditioning
Real Name
stan
Next Year will be Judy's 100th Birthday. It would be nice to see some sort of documentary on the film

Michael91

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
It would. Though I’d prefer the uncut print to turn up.

Dumb question. Does anyone the know if there was a 16mm print made of the 181-minute version?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
According to the ron Haver book, no there was not. Once the film was cut, Warners considered the short version to be the standard version of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks