What's new

Press Release Arrow Video Press Release: March 2023 Schedule (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Arrow kicks off March with a Haunted House, the
Super Bowl, and a Martial Arts Extravaganza!
On March 7th, Arrow releases an important predecessor of Dario Argento's Suspiria, director Narciso Ibáñez Serrador’s Spanish horror classic The House that Screamed, fully restored to the director’s full-length version. The story focuses on the newest student to a strict 19th century boarding school for young wayward women, Thérèse (Cristina Galbó), who instantly begins to feel unwelcome upon her arrival. Adapting to an environment where her classmates bully her and the headmistress (Lilli Palmer) and her protégé (Mary Maude) offer strict and sadistic punishment, there is also the mysterious disappearance of her fellow students to contend with. The Blu-Ray edition of The House That Screamed features an all-new 2K restoration from the original negative presented in two versions: the 105-minute uncut version, and the 94-minute US theatrical version. Also included on this disc are a new audio commentary by critic Anna Bogutskaya; interviews with actor John Moulder-Brown and Mary Maude, screenwriter Juan Tébar, the director's son Alejandro Ibáñez, and Spanish horror expert Dr Antonio Lázaro-Reboll; alternative footage from the original Spanish theatrical version, trailers, TV and radio spots, an image gallery and newly commissioned artwork by Colin Murdoch.

Next up on March 28th, Arrow scores a dramatic touchdown with a film that Rotten Tomatoescalls “a smart, tense thriller,” director John Frankenheimer’s Black Sunday. Based on the best-selling debut novel from Thomas Harris (Silence of the Lambs), the film pits an Israeli agent (Robert Shaw) against a vengeful Vietnam vet-turned-terrorist (Bruce Dern), who plans to detonate a bomb-laden blimp over the biggest sporting event of all…Super Bowl X! Methodical, exacting, intelligent and meticulously produced, Frankenheimer’s film had a major influence on filmmaker Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill) and on films such as Die Hard. The Blu-Ray presentation features the original restored mono audio for the first time in high definition, and includes a new audio commentary by film scholar Josh Nelson, a visual essay by critic Sergio Angelini, The Directors: John Frankenheimer – an hour-long TV program about the director’s career, an image gallery and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain.

Also on March 28th, Arrow delivers the action-packed cult classic Knockabout, a film "filled to the brim and overflowing with martial arts action,” (City on Fire). Directed by and starring Sammo Hung, the film notably gave acrobat/actor Yuen Biao his first leading role. “Featuring one of the greatest action finales in the history of Hong Kong cinema,” (Gary Tooze, DVD Beaver), Knockabout tells the story of two con men brothers Yipao (Yuen Biao) and Taipao (Bryan Leung), who realize that their most recent target, Silver Fox (Lau Kar Wing), is a martial arts master who then reluctantly agrees to train them. Arrow’s Blu-Ray presentation features 2K restorations from the original elements of both the original HK theatrical cut and the shorter export cut. Also included on the disc are two commentary tracks by martial arts cinema experts Frank Djeng & Michael Worth, and Mike Leeder & Arne Venema; interviews with director Sammo Hung, actor Bryan “Beardy” Leung Kar-Yan, and Grandmaster Chan Sau Chang; a deleted “Red Room” scene, featuring stars Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung in a teaser promo for the film’s Japanese release; original theatrical trailer, and newly commissioned artwork by Ilan Sheady.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I think I might be in for Black Sunday.

I definitely am. I considered getting the Imprint release, but I'd already decided to pass on any more Imprints, figuring others would likely get around to releasing better editions. I'm sure Arrow's release of Black Sunday will be one of them.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Great news about Black Sunday! Been awhile since I’ve seen it so I’m looking forward to getting this.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I definitely am. I considered getting the Imprint release, but I'd already decided to pass on any more Imprints, figuring others would likely get around to releasing better editions. I'm sure Arrow's release of Black Sunday will be one of them.
There's no mention of a new transfer.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • High-definition presentation
  • Original restored lossless mono audio, presented for the first time on Blu-ray
  • Optional restored lossless 5.1 and 2.0 stereo audio options
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Brand new audio commentary by film scholar Josh Nelson
  • It Could Be Tomorrow – brand new visual essay by critic Sergio Angelini, exploring the film's adaptation and production, and its place within the pantheon of 70s terrorism thrillers
  • The Directors: John Frankenheimer – an hour-long portrait of the director from 2003, including interviews with Frankenheimer, Kirk Douglas, Samuel L. Jackson, Roy Scheider, Rod Steiger and others
  • Image gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain
  • First pressing only: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Barry Forshaw
U.S. AND CANADA STREET DATE: MARCH 28.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There's no mention of a new transfer.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • High-definition presentation
  • Original restored lossless mono audio, presented for the first time on Blu-ray
  • Optional restored lossless 5.1 and 2.0 stereo audio options
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Brand new audio commentary by film scholar Josh Nelson
  • It Could Be Tomorrow – brand new visual essay by critic Sergio Angelini, exploring the film's adaptation and production, and its place within the pantheon of 70s terrorism thrillers
  • The Directors: John Frankenheimer – an hour-long portrait of the director from 2003, including interviews with Frankenheimer, Kirk Douglas, Samuel L. Jackson, Roy Scheider, Rod Steiger and others
  • Image gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain
  • First pressing only: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Barry Forshaw
U.S. AND CANADA STREET DATE: MARCH 28.
We can hope, but we also know that Arrow will do the best possible encode, which can make a world of difference on even dated transfers.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I watched the dvd to Black Sunday months back. It's not bad but I sure would like this disc! I had a Bruce Dern vs John Wayne argument with somebody months back too. When I mentioned BS they had to say that yes indeed Dern was pretty great in that. :D
The Tonight show channel with JC plays Dern interviews sometimes. He so much fun on that show. the argument I had stemmed from Dern talking about working with Wayne. Great stuff! I've been a fan of his since Family Plot and the down hill brakeless ride scene. keep those Dern blu rays coming!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I watched the Arrow "Black Sunday" BD tonight.

Looked fine to me - not a visual showcase but it's not supposed to be shiny 'n' bright.

Hadn't seen the movie since the DVD came out 20 years ago!

Wasn't aware of any other releases so this is my first BD exposure to the film.

Haven't had a chance to screen the commentary and other extras yet.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looked fine to me - not a visual showcase but it's not supposed to be shiny 'n' bright.
Most films of the 70's had that dull and dingy look. One reason I've never cared for many films from that decade.

They should have used more Cheer

1675991070351.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nice to see an Arrow thread on HTF even if it's a little late lol. These were all revealed months ago.
Each title has been listed on the Amazon Pre-Order listing as soon as they were posted on Amazon.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I love Arrow's Limited Editions. They are outdoing Criterion for packaging and extras, the scans and mastering for their 4K UHDs are always done with the best companies in the business and the end results work superbly with my projector. I have just purchased the limited edition of The Wolf of Wall Street, because they had recorded a fantastic commentary with Glenn Kenny for their edition. I have the Criterion blu/ray of Fear and Loathing and it's not my favourite Terry Gilliam, but I shall be acquiring Arrow's new release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks