What's new
World Wide Stereo

RCA RT2600 Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS problem (1 Viewer)

PeterPuck

Auditioning
First time setting up a HT. All appears correct wiring w digital coaxial cable to Sony DVD and other audio and video connections thru receiver.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 format (nor DTS) does not seem to work (i.e., the speaker icons on the display do not light up). Used a number of 5.1-friendly DVD's (and a DTS). Got the digital/coax source lit up. Suggestions?

I've seen this type of msg on a few other threads (RCA 2500). Is this a known problem w RCA?

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Did you set up your DVD player to output DD and DTS? There should be a menu option to set this up.

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's your DVD player I got a Sony DVD too and you got a turn on the output. Also check if your reciever is set to coaxial mode if that is possible.

TyR

Grip
Also, typically Dolby D and/or DTS won't kick in until you get past the DVD's main menu and into the movie itself.

PeterPuck

Auditioning
Thanks for the tips folks. I've already tried your suggestions. Same problem happens thru the digital cable box (yes--on the upper digital channels and those advertising 5.1 surround). Still no DD from DVD or Cable.

Another problem, which is sure to send me back to the store for a replacement/refund, is: when in Sat/Cable mode, the receiver won't accept a volume up/down command from the remote. Works for all other inputs. What a pain in the ...ummm... thumb! I think I got a lemon :frowning:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Peter, also check the audio set-up menus on the DVDs themselves; they don't always default to DD 5.1. Same with DTS.

Go back into the DVD player's set-up menu and really make sure you're allowing it to pass both Dolby Digital and DTS (the DTS needs to be enabled separately).

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,

I hate to break the news to you, but the RCA 2600 is a piece of junk. I had one, and it burnt out on me after about a month. Put your hand on the unit sometime and it gets REALLY hot.

That said, try a different cable. I had that with that unit, I tried a different cable and it fixed it.

As for the remote, make sure you have it programmed correctly, or you could try a 3rd party universal remote.

RCA products have been notoriously at the bottom of the list for repair records. When I bought mine it looked like I was going to get a good bang for my buck. Actually, my unit came with a DVD as well, and I like the DVD unit very much, although it does not have many bangs or whistles. It just plays DVDs really well. I also am still using the RCA speakers which sound fairly decent, but at some point I'll upgrade. The receiver just was poorly made.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I had a refurb DD only reciever for almost 2 years before the display died and the video switching started getting interference.

I paid $210 for 5 speakers a sub (which is actually pretty window-rattling, plenty for my needs anyway) and the reciever in 2000. Speakers sound good, especially considering what I paid

I've since replaced it with a nice Pioneer VSX-D511, marked sonic improvement through superior DACs :)

The reciever did do OK by me for 2 years though

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks