What's new

Rare DTS and/or Anamorphic titles (Brazil R4 NTSC) (1 Viewer)

AlexBC

Second Unit
Craig,

Robocop 2 is only available on the box set. Now, for Robocop, there's only one cut of the film. I'm not really sure which version it is, I thought it was the theatrical cut, but hearing now that R3 Korea is the DC, I think it may be the same over here, since Fox/MGM discs are usually the same on R4 and R3.

Jon,

I've got the Conan disc, as a matter of fact I've got all R1 and R4 versions of both Conan films. Unfortunately the R4 version of Conan, The Barbarian is the only one I haven't watched yet. I try to watch it over the weekend and post the details over here

Jeff Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Can Alex or anyone else confirm whether the Brazilian Predator 2 disc SE indeed has DTS as Alex first posted? I didn't see this as part of the specs on the Brazilian DVD websites I checked out.

Also, does the Back To The Future Boxset with DTS also have the audio commentaries from the director and cast or did they have to leave this off?

Thanks!

AlexBC

Second Unit
Jeff,

Predator 2 disc SE has DTS indeed. All the titles on the list are confirmed. The thing about the specs is that Fox didn't use to post DTS soundtrack information on the covers when it was available. This fact has changed with recent releases such as Die Another Day (MGM is distributed by Fox around here) Daredevil, X-Men 2. But the previous Planet of The Apes, Speed, Die Hard 1,2, Moulin Rouge, Minority Report and Predator all had the DTS track information missing on the cover.

As for Back to the Future, there are no audio commentaries. They left it off for the DTS track

Jeff Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,

Thanks so much for the useful information!!

This means that Predator SE is identical to the Korean version in that it has the director's commentary as well.

I'll have to talk it over with the wife to see if DTS or director's commentary are preferred. Decisions, decisions, but I really appreciate your help.

What a great resource this list is!!

CraigL

Screenwriter
Question: is Identity going to have 2 commentary tracks? Or just one? I know it's coming out February 9th. Some regions have a writers commentary AND a directors. Any idea?

Footnote: i got the Robocop trilogy from Koreandvds becuase they have a sale on it. $29 ain't bad for the trilogy ;)

AlexBC

Second Unit
Craig,

I haven't found any reliable sources on that yet. I'll sure post it here when I get some sort of confirmation.

Some new additions (though nothing really great):

Two Mules For Sister Sara (Os Abutres Têm Fome) (Anamorphic) (Universal)

To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar (Para Wong Foo, Obrigado Por Tudo! Julie Newmar) (Anamorphic) (Universal) - also features DD 5.1

Coogan's Bluff (Meu Nome É Coogan) (Anamorphic) (Universal)

Lorenzo's Oil (O Óleo de Lorenzo) (Anamorphic) (Universal)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Craig, I haven't found any reliable sources on that yet. I'll sure post it here when I get some sort of confirmation.
Ok thanks. Please let me know.

Also...what about Phone Booth? Did Brazil get the 1 disc without the full screen but with the making of documentary? I'd prefer the better pic and not have the full screen! :)

AlexBC

Second Unit
Good News for us DTS enthusiasts:

For those who haven't picked up the R3 or R2 version of this one:

Terminator 3 - Rise Of The Machines 2-disc SE (O Exterminador do Futuro 3 - A Rebelião das Máquinas) (Anamorphic & DTS) (Columbia) (01/27/04)

and the great, IMHO

Carlito's Way (O Pagamento Final) (Anamorphic & DTS) (Universal) - (01/21/04)

Craig,

sorry I still haven't got any positive news on Identity

CraigL

Screenwriter
sorry I still haven't got any positive news on Identity
Alex, welcome back! And it figures that I JUST bought Carlito's Way from Korea. :)

Anything on Phone Booth? I saw that it's coming out in February but can't get any details.

And also...League of Extraordinary Gentlemen will be DTS as well!!!

AlexBC

Second Unit
Thanks Craig,

and this week just keep getting better, as if it wasn't good enough

You're right about THE LEAGUE DTS 2-Disc SE; I had a feeling on this one, but I wasn't sure. You're right about PHONE BOOTH too, they lost the 4x3 version for the making of documentary and hopefully some more bits for PQ (though I wouldn't count on it for sure, but it should at least feature the same quality as the R1). BASIC is released by Fox around here too, and they have included the DTS track! These are all out for rental (though the league version is single), as I've just seen them at my local BB. As I said some time ago, just about all major studios have the window policy on non-catalog titles. So they're released on a rental only version, then a couple months later the sell-through comes out (as was the case with Terminator 3, the rental came out in late november).
I'll sure post here when they're out for good.

And finally:

Trainspotting SE (DTS fullbitrate and Anamorphic) (Versatil)

Sorry for the long post,
Cheers

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Any more info on the Brazilian Trainspotting? I can't really tell from the description if there are any extras. I will be buying it anyway since it's anamorphic and DTS, but I was curious as to what extras are there.

It also says region 0.

Jeff

AlexBC

Second Unit
Jeff,

the description at DVDworld says: Deleted Scenes, Making Of Documentary, Trainspotting in Cannes, "Lust For Life" Music Video, Theatrical Trailers, Photo Gallery, Words from Irvine Welsh and Bios.

And yes it's region free. Actually lots of Brazilian discs are region free (like Universal, Buena Vista). Columbia, Warner are usually strictly R4 and Fox falls somewhere in between. All independent distributors are reigon free.

Edit:

One of the most respected local DVD reviews site states that the disc is pretty good.
http://www.dvdshow.com.br/padrao.php...nhas_&res=1624

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all of the info Alex - great thread! I'm definitely looking forward to Trainspotting.

Just wanted to note that you can, on a limited level, browse DVDWorld in English. As previously mentioned, go to

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Instead of cutting and pasting text into it, just enter the web address into the "Translate a Web page" section. The new window pops up, translated, BUT as long as you stay within the "babelfish" frame, anything you click on the site will continue to be translated. Now you can browse all you want!

HOWEVER, gotta make one important note, the search feature for DVDWorld won't work if you input an English title. I assume that's because babelfish assumes it's Portuguese and tries to translate it. Anyways, happy DVD hunting!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
OK, one last question....are there any censorship issues in ordering from Brazil? I seem to remember a problem with Once Upon A Time In America?

Jeff

AlexBC

Second Unit
There are no problems with censorship in Brazil, actually it's usually the other way around, like the uncensored Eyes Wide Shut and Death Wish 2. OUATIA was an isoleted caase, and there's not been any explanation for that yet.

Thanks for the tip James, I didn't know about this feature on altavista. I'll try to use that for some Japanese webpages.

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Sure thing, Alex - I came across it accidentally while browsing an Italian site I think. Hey, since you mentioned Eyes Wide Shut, do you know if the R4 version of "The Shining" is the longer cut available in the US, or the shorter cut available in the UK and elswhere? I'm looking for the shorter cut in NTSC, but have been unable to find it.

AlexBC

Second Unit
James,

I haven't watched the disc, but the covers states 120 mins, so based on the running time of the shorter cut (114 with speedup) on the R2 DVD posted by Gary I'd definitely assume that it's the shoter cut.

Edit: to make your search easier:
The Shining (O Iluminado)

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Gary, I have been to your site before, and it's great - helped me to pick up R3 Army of Darkness one time. However, I did read your Shining comparison, but didn't know if the R4 Brazil NTSC version applied to it. I'm planning on picking up the whole R4 Kubrick Collection now, so I'm just hoping that the rest of the transfers in the collection are on par with the US versions. The Brazilian versions are the remasters right?

Alex, thanks for the info from the cover. That run time is definitely less than the US one, so it should be the shorter cut. I'll pick it up soon, along with the rest of the Collection, and then finally get to see what the issue was all about. I just gave away my R1 Collection, so I'll have to rebuy R1 Shining (damn snapper) and Dr. Strangelove. Oh well, one snapper ain't bad for my whole Kubrick collection. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks