What's new

Rare DTS and/or Anamorphic titles (Brazil R4 NTSC) (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Yeah James I figured mine might help on the number of versions... but I suppose you are aware...

Please let us know about the R4 (NTSC) release and quality etc...

Regards,

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Just placed my order at DVDWorld, got both Vols. of the Kubrick Collection and also Trainspotting. Hoped I filled everything out correctly - could not figure out what "CPF" meant. Also, I assume that they'll email me the shipping cost; hope it's not too much. Thanks for all the info everyone. If any are interested, I'll post some mini-reviews when I receive them.

AlexBC

Second Unit
James,

CPF is some sort of Social Security Number. So just forget about it since it's an international order, it won't matter anyway.

I belive the quality of the DVDs is on par with the R1 releases and they are the re-remasters. And please post your comments on these titles when you get them.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Just received another order from DVDworld. They're really great.
This time picked up the 2 disc Saving Private Ryan and the anamorphic Home Alone 1/2.

Had a couple of questions:

Empire of the Sun: Brazil has 2 discs. We have one. Ours is double sided single layered. Are both discs in Brazil double layered? If so, I'd like to pick this one up.

Life As A House: I saw on a couple of sites that it's listed as 2.35:1 which was the original aspect ratio. As far as I know, it was released as about 2.10:1 everywhere because of the cinematographer. Is it possible that they have the accurate aspect ratio?

Gareth Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
I received the Brazilian version of Trainspotting today, and unfortunately it's a PAL->NTSC conversion. You can tell by the running length (just short of 90 mins, which is the same as the PAL versions - the film is originally 93 and a half mins long). If you still frame through it you can also see the tell tale "ghosting" that the conversion causes.

AlexBC

Second Unit
Craig,

Empire of the Sun has a Dual layered disc and a single layered disc (so it's a DVD 9 and a DVD 5). Regarding Life As A House, I couldn't find any confirmation on that yet. I'll see if I can pick up the disc myself and check it out.

Gareth,
that's really sad news, but thanks for the info. I updated the list with this note.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Need some help, I can't seem to find the following title are dvdbrazil.com or dvdworld.com.br:

JERUSALEM
Planet of the Apes (anamorphic set)
Death Wish 2

Also, is there a version of Exterminating Angel with English subs?

Thanks

CraigL

Screenwriter
Alex,

Thanks for the info! Guess I'll have to pick that up Empire of the Sun for a better quality disc! :) It has 5.1 sound right?

I'm trying to wait until some other discs come out that I want. I hate having to make a small purchase from them. Would rather do a few discs all at once. Seems like Identity won't have the writers commentary after all, from what I know. :frowning:

AlexBC

Second Unit
Mark,

it seems that with the anouncement of Planet of the Apes SE, the box-set has been discontinued or at least out of stock for a while. But I could still find it on this on-line retailer. Jerusalem is also available on this retailer.
http://rosaoriental.locasite.com.br/...coddvd=FX01466

Death Wish box set was also discontinued.

Craig,

Empire does have 5.1 surround. And I got info on Life As A House, it's indeed the same framing as the US version.

New Addition:

Phone Booth (Por Um Fio) (Anamorphic) (FOX)- it looses the 4x3 version for extra making of documentary.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Thanks, AlexBC.

Do you own the Planet of the Apes box set or anyone else here? I would just like confirmation that all of the films are Anamorphic.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Phone Booth (Por Um Fio) (Anamorphic) (FOX)- it looses the 4x3 version for extra making of documentary.
That's why I asked about this title on the last page of this thread. lol :) This is actually your second time re-announcing it. I got the scoop before you did.

It seems that R1 is making a bit of a habit at times with this. Luckily, our friends in other regions don't. I am looking to pick this, Hollywood Homicide and Identity up from another region due to their widescreen/dual-layer format for better picture. Plus some other extras. HH and PB have extra documentaries and SUPPOSEDLY Identity has an extra commentary in some regions. That's why I'm waiting to hear what Brazil will get.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Those ordering from Brazil, I would check out the movie Carandiru. It's Brazilian and in portuquese, went to see it in movies and even with my very limited portuquese I really enjoyed the movie. I think I need to order it and watch it again with subtitles.

- Sami

AlexBC

Second Unit
Mark,

I do not own the Planet of the Apes box set, but I have seen the packing and it states 16:9. It is the only title on the list I haven´t checked myself. I tried to find the info on some review, but there isn´t any. Sorry.

Craig,

I re-anounced Phone Booth because when you asked about it, it wasn´t out yet. I did confirm the info because I could find it at Blockbuster (the rental version). But now it´s finally out for sale. Thanks again for the info.

Sami,

Carandiru is indeed a great film, maybe the second best Brazilian fim, right next to City of God. It stars Rodrigo Santoro from Shatterd April (a good film from Brazil also, the Miramax R1 release is the best available version of this movie in terms of PQ and SQ), Love Actually and Charlie´s Angel Full Throttle (a very small role on this one as a villian). The R4 Carandiru Version is distributed by Columbia and has english subtitles.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Alex,

Just a quick question...

Are the rental versions always the same as the final released versions? Same specs?

Do they have Blockbuster previously viewed sales there too? lol :)

Thanks for all your help!

AlexBC

Second Unit
Craig,

the rental version and the sell through ones are not always the same. Usually 2-disc sets come out single disced on the rental version and sometimes there´s only the 4x3 version for rental. One current example for this is The League, it´s supposed to come out in march as a 2 disc set SE like the R2 and R3 versions, but the rental version has just one disc and no cardborad sleeve.

And yes, they do have those previously viewed titles. LOL.

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Finally!
Just received my order from DVDWorld yesterday. They had some minor issues with my card, and the Kubrick Collection Vol.1 was out of stock. I ended up receiving Trainspotting LE and Kubrick Vol. 2 (Barry Lyndon, Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut, and Life in Pictures). I've only had time to check out Trainspotting, which had pretty unnoticeable PAL-NTSC conversion. The full bit-rate DTS track was great though, very natural sounding, good use of the surrounds (primarily for the music), but not overly aggressive.

I'll have more time later to check out Trainspotting and the other titles. If anyone wants me to review any of the above titles, post a reply here or PM me. Thanks again AlexBC, and Gary too. Hopefully I'll get Kubrick's Vol. 1 soon.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Any updates we should know about? Any good titles coming out? :)

Just still waiting for Identity and Hollywood Homicide here. Any word on those?

CraigL

Screenwriter
Legitimate question:

The Last Seduction: ours is full screen. Does anyone know if Brazil got the widescreen version? I also see that it's 5.1 if I'm not mistaken. Ours is 2.0.

Help!!!

AlexBC

Second Unit
Craig,

Hollywood Homicide hasn't even come out in theaters here. The specs for Identity are not all disclosed yet. And The Last Seduction has not been released too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks