What's new

Predictions For 2014 (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
maskedmala said:
These one seasons shows:- The Baileys of Balboa- Broadside- No Time for Sergeants- The Rogues
It would be nice to see these shows released , but what company would do it?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Tooncy said:
I personally would embrace anything b colorized that looks good. Watching black and white gives me a headache.
Seriously? Sorry about that. In fact, most recent stuff in movies released these days is a form of colorization with those added fake graded colors, so basically we have that old dreaded colorization situation back all over again only many people seemingly don't even realize it.

Tooncy

Second Unit
I really don't understand why anyone would prefer black and white when they could see the same thing in color.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Steve...O said:
Colorizing Lucy or anything else is just plain wrong and goes against everything a true film/TV buff stands for. Whether or not it looks "good" is irrelevant in my opinion; it alters the intent and the work of the artists who created it in the first place. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but this kind of thinking is so 1980s and Ted Turner and we're past that now.

I do think we'll see BD versions of Lucy and Andy Griffith sooner rather than later. Hopefully at a price point lower than the Honeymooners, but we'll see. The HD clips I've seen of TAGS look superb with exceptional detail and clarity. I've not seen HD Lucy or Honeymooners but would imagine they would be equally impressive.

The failure of Cannon and Barnaby Jones on home video is very disappointing. The BJ release was stellar and didn't sell. Cannon was released with subpar video and overpriced for what they were and didn't sell either. Would it have sold better had they been remastered? Dunno, but I wish consumers had been given the choice.
Do we know that for a real fact, about Barnaby Jones? -The same thing was suspected regarding Streets of San Francisco, but its hold-up appeared to be the remastering job so this could very well be the case for BJ as well. At least there'll always be the MOD avenue for them, of their 1970s crime shows it seems to be the most requested title left now.

Tooncy

Second Unit
I think that's true for a few titles (thinking film noir) but other than that, I would rather have color any day.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The choice between black & white and color is integral to the photography of the movie or TV show. The color palette is not some minor thing that can be arbitrarily changed on a whim. Especially when that change would be done by people with absolutely no affiliation with the original photography. It's the same thing as me taking a copy of the Mona Lisa and painting over the background with more vivid colors because I think it would look better than darker colors. I could do it but it would destroy the look and intent of the original painting.

Tooncy

Second Unit
If it was filmed in black and white you can still watch it that way. That's no reason not to offer it in color too.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why anyone would prefer to watch anything in fake colorization that destroys the original lighting, shadows and details of the film when they can watch it in the Original Black and White. With todays HD remastering Black and White looks better than ever. Colorization always looks like pastels and is faded. They guess on the colors and many times chose horrible colors. Look at I Love Lucy the colors of the apartment are just plain aweful. No one would have an apartment that looked like that in the 1950's. Colorization always pulls me out of the film. I can't concentrate on the show because I'm always looking at the colorization and thinking it doesn't look right. I love black and white and I love color but only if it was filmed in color.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Randy Korstick said:
I don't know why anyone would prefer to watch anything in fake colorization that destroys the original lighting, shadows and details of the film when they can watch it in the Original Black and White. With todays HD remastering Black and White looks better than ever. Colorization always looks like pastels and is faded. They guess on the colors and many times chose horrible colors. Look at I Love Lucy the colors of the apartment are just plain aweful. No one would have an apartment that looked like that in the 1950's. Colorization always pulls me out of the film. I can't concentrate on the show because I'm always looking at the colorization and thinking it doesn't look right. I love black and white and I love color but only if it was filmed in color.
I've seen SOME colorization that looks good; I thought The Three Stooges were pretty well done. It's a Wonderful Life looked good in color. S1 of I Dream of Jeannie was semi-dull but not as bad as some of the 80's attempts Ted Turner made with stuff. There's a guy on Facebook who colorizes old photos of Hollywood stars and I sometimes cringe because of how terrible they look. I would say it can be done to look good but it's not TOO often it turns out to be awe-inspiring.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Tooncy said:
I really don't understand why anyone would prefer black and white when they could see the same thing in color.
Ever heard of "Film Noir" ? Kinda destroys the whole genre, doesn't it?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
The colorized Rathbone Holmes from a few years back, weren't a complete mess of a job and I'm sure some people won't be able to tell the difference between this and some old Technicolor film, so obviously there are folks who will be happy enough with it. But then when compared with the originals, boy is it bad... I have early colorized versions of Night of the Living Dead and Curse of the Cat People, they're pretty lousy looking especially the former and the Laurel & Hardys aren't too hot looking either. So to sum it up; always go with the original b&w.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Well I've seen I love Lucy, I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched, I'm pretty sure they are considered newer efforts. The color is a tad sharper and brighter but the overall effect is still pretty bad because they still have a colored pastel look, the color still looks faded because that is the best they can do considering it was filmed with black and white lighting and not lighted for color. Not to mention alot of the color choices are bad and don't look right. Definatelly stick with the Black and White originals they look better and still have all the original details that the film makers intended us to see.
Tooncy said:
Colonization has gotten way better. You can't compare those old efforts to what's being done now.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Randy Korstick said:
Well I've seen I love Lucy, I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched, I'm pretty sure they are considered newer efforts. The color is a tad sharper and brighter but the overall effect is still pretty bad because they still have a colored pastel look, the color still looks faded because that is the best they can do considering it was filmed with black and white lighting and not lighted for color. Not to mention alot of the color choices are bad and don't look right. Definatelly stick with the Black and White originals they look better and still have all the original details that the film makers intended us to see.
I remember reading a review of I Dream of Jeannie on Amazon a couple of years ago regarding the colorized season. Apparently they made a major faux pas when they colorized Major Nelson's wings on his uniform. I don't remember the exacts but the reviewer had apparently been Air Force or NASA themselves and said they were colored the color of an officer above him! Lol

Tooncy, again, I do like some of the colorized efforts being made now. The problem is there's still stuff out there from the 80's that no one has attempted to fix. Miracle on 34th Street is one such issue. The DVD release is still using the 80's colorized version and it's unwatchable. It's a Wonderful Life on the other hand isn't bad at all. The B&W still holds more charm but the colorized doesn't look too bad. If I get too feeling REAL nostalgic for the movie, I'll go dig out an off-air VHS recording I made of it. Every year on New Year's Eve night one of our local stations played the same wore out 16mm copy with streaks and lines all through it. ^_^

I would actually spring for the colorized Gilligan's Island if it were made available. It wasn't the greatest effort ever made but it did look somewhat natural if memory serves me correct. Of course that was long before the days of having a 55" LED TV.....lol

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Tooncy said:
Colonization has gotten way better. You can't compare those old efforts to what's being done now.
Well, I did mention the Holmes efforts and they're okay (to the untrained eye) but I've never heard of a fan preferring them to the real thing.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
HenryDuBrow said:
Well, I did mention the Holmes efforts and they're okay (to the untrained eye) but I've never heard of a fan preferring them to the real thing.
And you never will :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks