What's new

Tour of Duty (1 Viewer)

banjo78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
CharlieBravo
What are the chances of this show ever getting a HD/Bluray release?

3 seasons 1987-1990, one of those periods where episode final edits were done onto videotape/480P? So would I be correct in saying it would need new transfers cut from the masters? Not to mention the massive amount of 60's music on the show.

CBS but I believe now owned by Sony? Do they do inhouse HD transfers for preservation purposes?

It has had numerous DVD releases over the years but the picture quality is very poor.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Sony did release the DVD sets back circa 2005, and Mill Creek (licensed from Sony) released them again circa 2015.

The show was produced by New World Television, which was bought out by Fox (one of its major partners) in the late 90s. I would assume that they (i.e. Disney) owns it.

From what I understand, the show was released on DVD in the UK by Fabulous Films that have all the original music, and better audio/video than the US releases. I've never seen them, though.

banjo78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
CharlieBravo
Sony did release the DVD sets back circa 2005, and Mill Creek (licensed from Sony) released them again circa 2015.

The show was produced by New World Television, which was bought out by Fox (one of its major partners) in the late 90s. I would assume that they (i.e. Disney) owns it.

From what I understand, the show was released on DVD in the UK by Fabulous Films that have all the original music, and better audio/video than the US releases. I've never seen them, though.
I have the Fabulous films version, yes it has the original music but unfortunately the picture quality is still poor 480P/SD

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
ToD is a great series. I remember watching this in my teens back when it was originally broadcast. Very realistic & gripping war drama. It had great casting & solid story-lines, and also featured an amazing 1960's rock/pop music soundtrack.

I have avoided any Region 1 DVD sets not only because of the poor PQ, but because they have terrible music replacements. This is a quote from the ToD Wikipedia page:

The opening theme song was an abbreviated version of The Rolling Stones hit "Paint It Black".....this was removed for the US DVD release........On the US DVD release, most of the Vietnam War–era popular songs were replaced by instrumental bits to cover the blank spots of music.

Here's hoping for a decent Region 1 release with cleaned up PQ & the original music. But, given that it hasn't come out yet - I won't be holding my breath.

Last edited:

GlennC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
The Fabulous Films region 2 release is great as far as the soundtrack is concerned. The picture quality though is poor.

I too wish there was an HD release. If Cold Case which also contains lots of music can be made available I would hope there is a slim chance for Tour of Duty. I realize Cold Case was already in HD but we can but hope,

banjo78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
CharlieBravo
The Fabulous Films region 2 release is great as far as the soundtrack is concerned. The picture quality though is poor.

I too wish there was an HD release. If Cold Case which also contains lots of music can be made available I would hope there is a slim chance for Tour of Duty. I realize Cold Case was already in HD but we can but hope,
agreed

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

The difference here is in the market involved. Back in the day, when a show licensed music, it was only for broadcast/cable. Home video was considered a whole different thing that required a new license fee. So, with Cold Case, they can syndicate it up the wazoo with the music intact. But they'd have to shell out a lot more money if they wanted to release it on a home video format. I've no doubt that that's why Cold Case was never released on disc.

Now, the thing is that Cold Case was made at a point in time when TV shows on DVD was a thing, and I've always been rather surprised that by then, the studios didn't include home video rights in their music licenses. Maybe it was a budget issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks